Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Moving to Montana Package ?

What does the "Moving to Montana Package" include on a 2005 Mountaineer TT ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have the package for the Montana 05 -06... if this helps you...
15,000 BTU A/C w/quick cool
1/2Time Convenction Microwave
Awning
25' TV in living area
Customer Convenience Group:
Easy lube axles/Deep tint windows/Saftey glass windows/Vented attic/12v.rechargeable flashlight near exit/Cabinet toe kicks/Lazy susan/Laundry chute to basement/Reading lights over bed/TV antennia and booster/High output range w/automatic ignitor and 22" oven/Water heater by pass kit/Easy-Acess double 30 lb LP bottles w/auto change over/Oak cell phone holder w/ charging station/2 kitchen sink covers.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
Welcometo the forum.
If you go to the Keystonerv.com site, then select Mountaineer, then select Standards you will find all the specifications listed. The Moving To Montana "options" are indicated by a "M" beside the described specification. I still have not figured out why they named it that way, other than by getting these options you move your Mountaineer up to being close to that of a Montana. If you include all the Moving To Montana and Convenience Group options, you basically get a basic Montana. That is what my Mountaineer seems to be.
derfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
I have to add that the Value Package is required to get a Mountaineer up to almost the same specs as the Montana. You can find the Value Package after clicking Options on the Mountaineer page.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #5
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Thanks for the info.
I went to the Spec sheet and dod find some of the options labled with a M, but there is no list of options specifically labled "Moving To Montana Package".
The Unit I am looking at on a web site is supposed to have this package.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Even on regular Montanas it is called the Moving to Montana Package and both it and the Value package are mandatory options so to me they are a kind of a silly marketing thing,

The name "Moving to Montana" is weird and how they get away with showing a MSRP sticker and then adding mandatory packages to the base price when you have no choice in the matter !!!

I have been shopping for a couple of years and a lot of RV makers are doing the mandatory option thing so I guess it works and makes buyers feel they are getting extra value. Whatever. Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
derfr
Established Member

M.O.C. #4953
G. McCall: At the bottom of the Standards page is a legend that gives M = Moving To Montana

Wrenchtraveller: I agree that mandatory options is a dumb marketing procedure. Perhaps someone at Keystone could explain the rationale or drop the designation. On the Mountaineer it makes some sense in that you are using options to get towards the Montana model, but using that terminology on Montanas makes no sense to me. Perhaps someone else can expain the term. Dilbert would enjoy working with some of the Keystone marketing people!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The problem with doing that is that the consumer looks at it as "Guess what? This is an otion and you don't get a choice whether you get it or not." Human nature is going to rebel, and become a little defensive, when they are told they "CAN'T" do something. Bad move psychologically. Just list them as standard features. Maybe if they put astericks by these items in the standard features list, and say that Montana has taken the bold action of including as standard, what many manufactures list as "Options". "This, as in the automotive industry, is the mark of an ELITE brand, which has been a proven leader in the industry for years."

I'd feel better if I had seen this... rather than seeing something that indicated that they are going to put this stuff in anyway and charge me for it. That's the way it comes across, albeit, unintentionally.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:57 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Including them as standard items would raise the base price. Base price is what **potential** buyers see first and what they compare to other brands (most buyers anyhow). Raise the base price and you lose a few potential customers. Keep the lower base price and you get them interested and they sit down to look at the options list with ordering a unit high on their minds. Then when they find out there are mandantory options they are less likely to walk away. My attitude was I wanted most of those things anyhow. Sounds like a pretty shrewd marketing ploy to me. Just some thoughts. I may be way off-base but that's my guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve, I would have to agree also. We wanted some of the items too.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have to admit, that it did strike me that way guys. "What do you mean I don't have a choice???" It's not that I didn't want those items - I did. It just struck me in a negative way when I read it. Cheryl says my mind does not wander around in the normal territory with most other humans, so I probably would not go by MY first impressions as a litmus test. What's that saying? Something like,"You can't please all of the people, all of the time..." No, wait... that was, "You can't FOOL all of the people, all of the time..." Never mind...

Anyway... people smarter than me figured that this would be the way to do this. They are probably even making more money than me...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve, your points are valid but I guess I got annoyed with the mandatory options when some RV salesmen give you the BS, "this one has the moving to Montana Pkg" like I was getting a heck of a deal.It was like they were counting on the customer to be ignorant about the product.

Hard working, honest salespeople do exist, they just require an extensive search to find them.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Regarding certain Option packages to be mandantory, Sunnybrook does the same thing with the Mobile Scout.

As for a list of what the "Moving To Montana Package" consists of.....
My Montana brochure shows the options list, but my Mountaineer brochure does not show the list. The Spec portion of the Mountaineer brochure does show the "M" for some of the options, but not all.
However, you folks on this site filled us in.

I'm thinking, It is sites such as this that might be considered the Salesmans enemy. ha
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I went to a small RV show 2 weeks ago in Grand Rapids. Talked to a Montana salesman. When I started talking to him, I realized almost immediately that I had WAY more info and knowledge than him. I mentioned the Mor/Ryde system. He said he had not heard anything like that. While I was standing right there, he picked up his cell phone and called his sales mgr, who was in NY at another show. When he hung up, he looked at me and shrugged and said, " I guess you're right."

The other new changes and projected dates, as well as the changes at Montana management, he had no idea of. After a while he moved away from me. I would have been embarrassed. Nothing against that particular dealer, but it sounds like this is common.

I know we get a lot of info quickly on this forum, but there still is no excuse for a customer having THAT much more info than a salesman. Dealerships need to make more of an effort to keep there salesmen updated.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:34 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In addition to what Steve.R points out about the Mandatory option issue is that it is also a "cost effectiveness" issue for the manufacturer.The fewer "build " changes you have to make on the assembly line the more cost effective it is.This is one reason that special orders are more expensive. Remember that these things are built by hand by actual people there is very little automation on a RV assembly line...On second thought I don't remember seeing ANY automation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I'm thankful to have this site to keep us people (customers) better informed than most salesmen.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote