Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
FEMA

Just to let you know that fema and our state officals are taking over our state parks with these evacuee trailers. We cannot use our state parks that have full hook ups and even in other states. We even had reservation for thanksgiving at desoto state park in north east al. had they cancelled them also in joe wheeler park in north al. I also was in a park in mississippi camping and was told i had to be out by monday morning because fema was taking the whole south camp ground and if there was not another site i had to leave the park. I pay my taxes to use these parks and now we can't because of this. I would ask for you to check into it and call your gov. officals and tell them it is not right to do this when there are other things they could do. Now we can't hardly find a place to camp and have a new camper.

pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sorry pud2 but I don't think you are going to get a lot of sympathy for your cause. Count your blessings that the only thing you lost is a campsite to park your rig. The evacuees you are referring to have lost their homes and most if not all of their personal belongings and they also were and some still are tax payers just like you. I would gladly give them my site in a heart beat. I think if you looked hard enough you could find yourself a place to set your rig even if it meant paying at a commercially owned campground.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Ditto!!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I can only second what Glenn and Lorraine have said. I have taken three trips to the Gulf with trailers for FEMA as well as for workers in the area. The fact that the Hotels in Jackson MS had given precedence to those displaced and had given many free rooms to displaced families meant that we could not get a room even though we had previous reservations was a small price to pay. It meant that we had to travel another two hours north for a hotel. What an inconvenience! Haaa! (in comparison the the inconvenience those affected by the hurricane, ours is NOTHING!)

PS.... Just come North, Pud2, at this time of year we have LOTS of room in our campgrounds!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Please don't take this wrong, cause I mean NO disrespect to the victims, but, does anyone know if this is going on in other states and which ones?? Is FEMA taking over private parks as well, or just the state/county campgrounds?

I only ask so we know the score when and if we get to go to Texas for January, so I would be prepared to deal with the situation. Call it trying to be prepared.

From this post, it appears that state parks in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana are being used to house these poor folks. Anyone know about Arkansas and Texas?

Again, please don't take this wrong, I have NO issue with FEMA putting these people where ever they have to! But, a little knowledge never hurts, and it would be better to not go barging into a situation cause I had no idea!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Apparently FEMA passed over Gulf State Park in AL. It had already been mostly destroyed by Ivan, so they did not want to risk putting evacuees in harm's way. Gulf SP has been partially renovated and some non-reservable sites with full 50 amp hook-ups are said to be available. As a note of caution, remember that the park and surrounding area was really badly hammered by Ivan, and it is not nearly as attractive as it used to be...but any port in storm?? (no pun intended).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
I have to go along with the rest. I love Desoto SP and had been planning to go there but I guess I will go later. I hope the evacuee's enjoy their stay it is certainly a beautifull place.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I know we have plans to travel to Texas for 10 days over Thanksgiving break, but if nothing is available we will adjust our plans accordingly.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I agree with Glenn, not to mention the lost of love one and friends. I would also give my site to help!
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK... I am not a mean guy either. But I would assume the FEMA considered other alternatives seriously before disrupting tourism? I don't know... I know what Pud2 is trying to say. This is a terrible tragedy in many ways, not just in the loss of housing, but the tremendous loss of jobs, and the unimaginable number of small business totally lost. HOWEVER, giving FEMA a blank check on this issue makes me a little uncomfortable. Just coming in and carte blanche wiping out everyone's reservations in the State parks in a three state area (if that's what they did) had better have been a well thought out and last resort plan. Some of this is necessary, I know. It's just that.... well, it's not like FEMA would make any logistical errors or anything. I know we are dealing with recreational use vs relocating distressed families, but maybe they only did this in a handful of parks.

I know some are going to misunderstand what I'm trying to say (NEVER happens with my wife). I do share Pud2 and CountryGuy's concern over FEMA's judgement.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end??
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #11
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I'm not at all saying these people don't need a place to live. I have opened my home to ever needs it. I have also went and help feed these people at shelters. I am a christian and not at all upset with these people. What i am saying that there are other alternatives and our gov. and fema has jumped the gun. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY but there are limits.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I am making NO stands on FEMA, their decisions, their reasoning, NOTHING. I take NO issue with these victims being put where ever they can be put, I don't care if they use every state park in 10 states!

I am just wondering is there a way to find out, short of calling every park in your route, to find out which parks will not be available for my recreational use, IF I so choose to visit any of these areas.

Maybe it is too early in the crisis to have such a list.

Katrina and Rita were so overwhelming to so many, it is only a simple deduction that the victims are going to be placed where ever a safe haven can be found. God bless them, we hope they all find safe haven. Who knows, maybe a few of them will become avid RVers!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I have to agree with Glenn and Lorraine, it is more important to help those in need at this time.
I am not sure about south Texas but there are parks with space available in central and south central Texas. Presently FEMA has a need for parks in order to place a large number of trailers they have on hand. The situation may change or at least be under control in the next 60 to 90 days.
According to news reports, FEMA intended to set up as many as 30,000 trailers and mobile homes every 2 weeks. As of Tuesday only 7,308 were occupied. Hopefully many of these units will be eventually set up on property other than parks.
Source, New York Times.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We belong to Coast to Coast and our home park is in Ocean Spring, Ms. We talked to them the other day and they are temporally out of the system because they are completely full because of FEMA. They hope to have something open by January.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis & Sharon, can you explain about Coast to Coast? I am looking for good memberships for when we start rving FT. Haven't heard of these folks and their web site does not describe member benefits.
Thanks,
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote