Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Montana Sales Manager Q & A Regarding...

Couldn't decide where to post this as it covers a number of issues, so placed it here.

I had a long discussion with a Montana District Sales Manager at a California RV show Saturday and mentioned that I was a MOC member. He assured me that they monitor the board and value our input, both good and bad.

The questions I asked about particular things and why they have been done were answered and explained visually where possible to my satisfaction. Please be aware the following is my impression of what was relayed to me in our conversation. My words, not his.

Sliding Door VS Curtain
The sliding doors between the bath and bed area were replaced with a curtain because the bedroom area was expanded to accommodate the width of a king size bed option. This also allows for more access around both sides of a queen bed. When looking at the change I can see where the inflexible door had a vertical surface to close against before this modification and now there is no such surface. The vanity sink/cabinet now prevents this. If you look at the sliding curtain track you’ll notice it’s curved to allow the flexible curtain to bypass the cabinet and close flush against the curbside wall.

Remote Thermostats
They are aware of the situation and continue to work the problem with the manufacturer of the unit. RIVA standards come into the mix as well when determining what equipment can be installed. As I understand it the remote is the temperature sensor. As an example if you’re in the cooler closed off bedroom and increase the temp to make that area warmer, it may increase the temp to a warmer than desired level in other areas of the coach, depending on were the furnace is located.

Gel-Coat
A $1500 option that weighs approximately 600 pounds, costs more to manufacture and is more labor intensive in the construction costs of the unit. The standard Filon siding is a Gel-Coated product that comes in more manageable flexible rolls. The Hi Gloss option adds additional clearcoating to the Filon in the manufacturing process making it approximately twice as thick and resulting in a less flexible slab, therefore requiring additional manpower to handle the material.

Early Model Frame Advisory
This is one I was particularly interested in as I have a 1999 2850RK which was delivered with 15” rims and tires. At some point after mine came off the production line they went to 16” rims and tires in production. This production change resulted in more stress on the shackles. Only a very few units had this problem occur and then only the units with 8” frames and 16” rims. Keystone was on top of this right away and attempted to notify the original owners of all models whether there were reported problems or not. Since the closest dealer to me at the time was 300 miles away they let me pick a facility to do the work, sent the kit, paid for a certified welder to inspect for and repair any damage and install the kit shortly after I purchased the unit. They also extended the warranty period. I’m considering changing to 16” rims on my current unit in order to raise the ride height for bedrail clearance purposes on a new truck and feel confident in doing so after having been assured by those in the know that with this kit installed it won’t create any future problems.

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
You are very lucky in the States that you are able to meet with people from Keystone at the Shows. The Toronto shows are probably the largest in Canada yet we do not get factory representatives at them. We are lucky as we have an excellent Dealer, Outdoor Travel. However those who are not that lucky have to put up with any BS the Dealer is willing to throw at them. I know Keystone reads this forum so perhaps next year could we see someone from the Factory - please!!!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don & Claudia, that is excellent information and also confirms my impressions of Keystone. Thank you for taking the time to post this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Thanks for the info. When our 3475 arrives we will get to have fun with that remote thermostat like evryone else.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am in the thermostat game right now. I find it interesting that the rep mentioned that the thermostat was the control, as the people at Dometic are concerned where the sensor is located on the wall. They claim that most of the problem is location of the sensor. However, the sensor on the 3400 is on an inside wall. I don't see a big temperature difference across our trailer. I have digital temp sensors in the bedroom and living room and they stay pretty close. But they are off 10 deg to the hand unit. If I keep the unit 10 degrees higher than I want, I have no problem. The disappointing thing is that there is no one yet that can say exactly what the problem is. We have a new remote, sensor and control box to install when we get back to the trailer, April 1. Hope that fixes it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Rames14,

Keep in mind I may have misunderstood the man, and I don't have the remote feature in my old rig. I'm sure you probably have a better idea of the situation with the unit than I. I just asked the question because I knew a lot of folks were having problems the setup. I do hope it gets fixed as we'll eventually be in the market for new rig.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Searchers -

There is a good chance you did not misunderstand. I really don't think anyone at Keystone knows how the system works or how to fix it. I called Keystone and they recommended contacting Dometic. Dometic said to take it to a service center. Back to my dealer and they talked to both and got me a new thermostat, sensor unit and silver box with wires. Now I need to contact the dealer to find out where that goes. But I know better than to ask "where should I stick this". I will know in less than a month whether this fixes the problem or not. With all of the people who have had issues with the remote thermostat, I find it hard to believe that they're all defective. My guess is that it is a setup issue. I'll find out. Thanks for your post and follow-up. Always good to hear what the reps have to say.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote