Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Don't let this happen to you!

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/n...0321-421336865

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
A basic rule from my "Jeepin'" days ... NEVER off-road alone - in a Jeep or an RV!!!
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just demonstrates the need for following safety protocols, making a plan, sticking with the route plans and informing someone about your plan. However, it must be said they acted in a measured and reasoned way when they found themselves in trouble.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
But you have to wonder what they were thinking driving the RV through the snow when it was 1-2 feet deep let alone getting stuck in 3-4 feet of snow. I don't think I would even push my 4X4 through those conditions unless I was desperate.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It's all about choices, isn't it? Ya wonder what they were thinking????
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I just emailed this to toolmanroy (Nancy) and she told me that these people were flaming idiots...In fact here is what she wrote. They live in the next town over. We are outside of Medford and Ashland is the last town before the summit on I-5. We had been following the story locally. They thought they went to the coast via 199 through Grants Pass, but they had gone further north and went over on a back road/logging road. They are FLAMING IDIOTS! We have had a lot of snow very low in the mountains this year and they should have known better.
I guess the local news tells the story like it is...I told Nancy that is why I keep Monty stocked with at least 1 months worth of food, blankets, full of propane and the truck is always full of gas. Just in case...I guess it is from my mother and living in California all my life...LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Kathi,

Where the heck do you come up with those smiley faces? That was funny.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Right click on the smiley and then click properties. It will tell you where it came from.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Give the newsmedia a couple of weeks and these (lucky to survive) people will be on Oprah and all the morning shows, etc. MOST, people who come from that area knows that you should never take off and drive the backroads, (most are old logging roads) without letting someone know you are going and when you will be back. Good Lord sure was looking over their shoulder. These old back roads are fun to drive and explore.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Sweetfire, this is the website. In order to get them into your post you have to copy and past the [img] which is the writing beside the image. Paste it into your message and away you go... But again here is the website. Have fun...They are all in categories.
http://bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm
Old 03-26-2006, 06:23 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It sounds like they were taking a 'scenic route' that would normally be just fine for RV's. We do that very often. However, when winter weather is a potential factor, we then tend to stick to major roads, even interstates which I prefer to avoid (too generic, too boring). On our way to Moab, UT, from Mission, TX, earlier this month, I really wanted to take some of the mountain roads from around Santa Fe, NM, over to Durango, CO, then on up to Moab. But being early March, we stuck to I-40 from Albuquerque to Gallup, then two-laned up to Cortez, CO. We drove solo over to Durango for dinner. Then on up to Moab. This was all after sitting out in Albuquerque for three nights during the winter storm hitting this area.

I towed about 25 miles on ice and snow on an interstate in Oklahoma. Once. And I will take all precautions to avoid that experience again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I was reading in the paper last night that those people have been arrested, seems that there was a warrent out for them for Meth use. Wonder if they were using it when they got lost. Last winter we had a young couple freeze to death here by Omaha after they got stuck in the snow and started wandering around and they were using Meth. Some people will never learn to leave that stuff alone.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Of course not, don't you know "THEY ARE INVINCIBLE"...At least that is what that drug makes you think. Until you are clean and sober and your teeth are falling out, your bones are brittle, your hair will never be the same etc...Then I wonder how invincible they think they are...
Old 03-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Not only INVINCIBLE,, they also think they are INVISIBLE. Apparently they were arrested last year in AZ and made a deal with the local constabulary to help catch the local drug dealers. Well,, they decided to run to Oregon instead. You can run,, but you can't hide

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote