Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
EXCEPTABLE REAR WEIGHT

I notice the bike racks coming off some of our Montana's and I have been wondering what Montana maintains as an exceptable amount of weight coming off their I beam frame and still maintain warranty, does anyone have any idea.
I have been playing with the idea of a Carrier which would only be about 5' wide for a golf cart. loading it from the side and the cart would ride sideways to the back of the Montana. The carrier would have an axle which would support the weight of itself and the weight of the golf cart. It would be sideways, so the length of the 5er would only be about 6' additional, the axel wheels would swivel in turns to aid in tight turns. Oh, the cart would be a new gas ez go less weight than the battery model, any Idea's would be appreciated. Thank You John H (aka Hemlockusa) P.S. Golf Carts rent for 125.00 a month in RGV

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I would be surprised if you could mount a golf cart carrier on the back of a Montana. first of all the frame is not a I beam as most people know it, they are 2 chanel irons spot welded together and they are from a piece of flat Iron that has been put into a press and made into what looks like a chanel iron but not as strong. I also think Keystone will not honor the warintee on the frame from what I understood.

TT2
Old 03-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
According to Keystone, any mounting of a hitch or any other device on the back of your Montana will void the frame warranty. Since reading that, I am not mounting anything to the back of the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Think somewhere in the archives here our friend Dale said 150 pounds NO MORE back there.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are bike racks factory installed on the Mountaineer and the Cougar.The only reason they are not on the Montana is because the rear cap prevents a proper fit.The racks have a 200lbs capacity and they are connected to the frame. We have pictures of the rack and its installation taken at the Toledo Rv show..I will attempt to post them tomorrow.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OK - RICH - I appreciate all you folk's providing info... I know I have to do a heck of a lot of research, but it would sure be a feather in someone's cap if they could figure out a way to safely transpost a golf cart for extended stays in the south. I had no trouble when I had the 34'TT, The cart went right in the back of the 3500 and off we went.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening Hemlockusa,

I have attached some photos of my previous trailer - 1998 Cardinal with 10" rolled I-Beam frame.

This Harley, carrier (including the bike carrier) and 2 bikes weighed in right at 800#. The whole mess is supported by two 1/4" thick 2" square tubes welded to the bottom of the I-Beam frame. I put quite a few miles on this set up without any disasterous and/or unfortunate things happening. By the way, the whole design was evaluated by my "structural design engineer" friend of mine. The HD is 1979 model, and I certainly did not want anything to happen to my Baby.

I decided to make some changes so I ended up with this swivel wheel trailer set up shown below.

The below photo is a close up.

This set up placed approximately 400# on the rear supporting structure. Again, I traveled quite a few miles with this set up also. By the way, using a swivel wheel design trailer is legally considered as "triple towing" just like towing another trailer behind - not all states allow such towing.

I know one thing - the Cardinal frame and construction held up very well with the added weight on the rear. Interestingly, the Montana frame is also a 10" rolled I-Beam construction.

However, as my engineer buddy says, all things that appear the same are not always the same. For a number of reasons, I have decided not to connect this set up to the back of my 3400RL. However, I do have plans to consider yet another design that will get my baby to the same place my Monty goes.

I attached these photos simply to show that by using sound engineering practices, a number of things can be safely and successfully accomplished even though they may be "officially" outside published guidelines of the manufacturer.

By the way, does everyone agree that the hi-gloss fiberglass option weighs 600# like the brochures indicate?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
A wile back Dale was stating that lippert could add a small receiver type bike rack to the back without voiding the warranty. But only if they did it. I plan to check it out further before we attend the fall rally in Goshen. But I doubt it will hold a golf cart?
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
John check this site outhttp://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/motorhome_hitch.htm, I have measured it out on mine and it appears it will bolt up OK.
Last summer I noticed two Monty's in same park that had 3, 2" receivers welded to back of Monty with supports as well. They each then had an aluminum platform made of mesh and supports all out of aluminum along with side ramp that they each had a golf cart on. Never could catch them at the site before they were gone, but looked pretty cool. one of them must have been a welder or had fab shop because it looked factory installed. So it can be done.The even had tail lights made into the back of the platform that had plug that plugged into Monty some they but some thought into it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
There are really two questions to be answered: 1) What will Keystone and/or Lippert "publically agree" is a reasonable limit, and 2) What is an "actual" reasonable limit in added weight.

How many of us would purchase a Montana if we believed or were told there was only a 100 or 200# weight safety margin - especially if that weight were loaded to the rear of the trailer. Does that mean that rear kitchen layouts - which have considerably more storage capacity at the rear - are more likely to experience frame failures than other designs?

And by the way, my legal beagle friends tell me that "mofifications" to a product do not necessarily mean that warranties are voided - even if indicated as such by the manufacturer. Such changes have to be proven that they contributed to a product failure. For example, at various times, all three major pickup manufacturers claimed that warranties would be voided if holes and welding were performed on truck frames. How many of us have voided warranties by making such changes.

I suggest the true manufacturer's concern here is liability. The minute they agree to a reasonable weight limit or agree that a receiver hitch can be added, they open the door to user abuse. How many pickups are there out there that are over the published GVWR and rear axle weight ratings? The same thing would likely occur if/when hitch receivers are placed at the rear of trailers.

I also suggest, and believe have shown, that the actual reasonable limit is certainly greater than 100 or 150#. Perhaps those with frames still under warranty may not wish to press the issue. For others, I suggest a reasonable and safe approach be used - with oversight by a knowledage person - to adding additional loading/towing capacity to their trailers.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
This thread may answer your questions. It does not exactly address this question but you'll get the idea on how Lippert feels.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13404.asp
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. It appears with the right research and talent, nothing is impossible. I will keep my eye open for those two 5ers with the golf carts on the back, flag them down and take some pictures and measurements. It's not that I am LAZY, it's just I have this nice cart and there it sits since I traded the TT for the MONTANA, and thats a shame!!!
If anyone does see those two Montana's with the golf carts hanging on the rear..YELL AT ME.
THANKS EVERYONE. John H (akahemlockusa)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I've also thought about this. What if you don't carry any water in the rear tank and move the spare forward of the axle? Just moving the spare you get rid of close to 100# hanging on the frame
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote