Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dave -

Just about any GPS that has data capability will connect to Streets and Trips or to Delorme Street Atlas. You will need to use a serial port or else a usb/serial converter. The reason is NMEA data is only transmitted serially. If you will not use a GPS for hiking, hunting, fishing, when not connected to a laptop or other occasions, the GPS packaged with the software is great. If you may use it for other activities, you may want to buy the GPS separately.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ron. Just when you think everything is going smoothly... too smoothly. How much is a usb to serial adapter?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The laptop setup works very well for us. I have both DeLorme's Street Atlas and Microsoft's Streets and Trips and both GPS units. I previously used SA because it had voice and S&T did not. I'm currently using 2006 S&T with voice. I agree the voice is too low.

By the way, in addition to pushing the space bar once to repeat the next instruction, you can press the spacebar twice quickly and it will give you the 2nd next instruction. That can be handy when the 2nd turn shortly follows the first one. SA actually shows you both the next turn and the 2nd next turn right on the screen. S&T has plenty of screen real estate to do the same thing. I wish they would. Each package has things I like and things I don't. If only there were a way to combine the best of both...

I have both the Microsoft GPS and the DeLorme GPS, both the USB version that requires no separate power. I've found both to be excellent at maintaining satellite connections in all kinds of places I thought sure they'd lose it. I'm very pleased with them. I also have a NavMan GPS that I could not get to work very well. I haven't used any other brands, just those three.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote