Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Washer & Dryer
Stack-able 63 14.79%
Combo 95 22.30%
Not yet but want one 98 23.00%
No, never want one 170 39.91%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #41
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bill
Thanks for the web site, I had forgotten about it! Reading through the info, I think the question about filters is answered. Some models have them and some don't. Ours doesn't (thank goodness).
Happy trails................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #42
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
We have the Splendide 2100, "COMBO". And love it
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #43
3pac
Established Member

M.O.C. #1951
Tawna, We are going to purchase a washer and dryer for our Montana. Phil wanted a combo unit (he didn't want to give up all the closet space) but I had heard negative comments regarding the combo units. We attended the Tampa's RV Show in January and I met Sandra E. Jones. She and her husband are the authors of "All the Stuff You Need to Know about RVing."
She is also the author of a book called "Wrinkle-Free RV Laundry Using Your Combination Washer/Dryer Unit." She has a Splendide Dynasty (Model 2100) and experimented for nearly two years to get the results she wanted. I purchased the book (less than $10.00) and talked to Sandra for about 20 minutes asking questions. The book is full of useful information including detergents and softeners, size of loads, time it takes to wash and dry loads, understanding the machine settings, etc. After talking with Sandra and reading her book, I am convinced that a combination unit is the way to go. Like she says, "All RVers know that space in a RV has about the same relative value as beach-front property. To put a stacking washer and dryer in an RV is a wasted use of valuable space." To contact Sandy, e-mail her at laundry@rvstuff.org.
3pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #44
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
kenmoore combo here, came with the 3400RL and we've never used it. Doubt we do since our travels will be of the 3 to 5 day version.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #45
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have the Kariba Bendix made in Italy and now sold in U.S. as the Splendide. It is the unvented model, a bit of a misnomer as it is actually a condensing dryer that vents the water (moisture) to the drain. Moisture is not released into the coach as some suppose. This type of drying does take a little longer, but we just put 'em in and ~ 2.5 hrs later they're clean and dry.

The way we got our w/d is kind of a unique story. I was reading on rv.net one evening and a guy with a motor home was offering the w/d free to anyone who would remove it, as he needed the space it occupied. I sent him an email to find out where he was and he said he was in Key West. Kind of a long drive for me in Atlanta. LOL Anyway, I found out he was going to be in Tampa in a few weeks and as it turns out my daughter lived there at the time. So I went to visit my daughter and stopped by the campgound to see the guy, removed it and now we had a w/d.

Our Montana Mountaineer TT did not have hookups or space for the w/d as it came from the factory. So, I removed the big tube TV from the entertainment center, covered the area with a wall and mounted a flat panel TV. I then went into the bathroom and cut a hole into the back of the entertainment area, built a frame to support the w/d, plumbed in a drain and water connections and ran an electric circuit. Everyone who sees it thinks it came this way from the factory.

Yes, we have a washer/dryer and wouldn't be without it. We have been campground hosts and always camp the entire summer. Debbie loves having her own private laundry and if she's happy, then I am too.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #46
ChevRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7864
We have the Splendide Combo and love it! The ability to put in the wash and forget it. Even with the smaller loads, since it is just the 2 of us, a couple of loads a week, until it's time to do sheets and we are done. Just be careful not to overload them!
ChevRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #47
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
We have the Splendide 2100. Have not used it yet but am sure it will come in handy when we need it.
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #48
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We don’t have one but I think later on we might entertain the thought of it. When out on our wanderlust we have always just used the laundry but I see where it would be nice to have it in the Monty. We have never had room for anything like that before getting the fifth wheel.

A previous owner has certainly made it roomy where we could have one with the changes they made.

If I can find a photo I may come back later and post one.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #49
BearMacDaddy

M.O.C. #8248
As I type this respounce I am washing my work bibs with my Splendide 2100xc. The machine washes and dry beyond my expitations. I does at times to have some excess vibration with larger loads, but all in all I would buy it again......Bear
BearMacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #50
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 3pac

To put a stacking washer and dryer in an RV is a wasted use of valuable space."
It sounds like this Sandy thinks she has it all figured out and her way is best for everyone. I can guarantee you she doesn't speak for us.

I think the decision whether to go stack or combo is purely a personal one. Each person has to assess their priorities and make their own decision.

Everything is a tradeoff. You can have that additional storage space or you can complete your laundry more quickly. For those weekending and vacationing it's probably not as big an issue as it is for longtimers and fulltimers.

For us, doing a week's laundry 52 times per year, giving up a little storage space to gain the speed is a no brainer. For us, I said.

A major factor in our selection of this model Montana and our prior model Montana was that we have sufficient storage, inside and out, to carry everything we want AND have room for a stack washer and dryer. And we succeeded in both. And I can say we do carry everything we want. Our 14,620 lb weight attests to that. And we have our stack.

So, I think this Sandy's writings should be taken as input from one person who "has been there." And her thoughts should be considered along with others' opinions and one's own preferences in making this decision.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinons and there is no right or wrong answer that fits everyone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #51
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
3PAC ... Sorry but I've got to throw in my 2 pennies' worth here as well. I've not read either of Sandra Jones' books, but I have to tell you I have a serious problem with anyone who professes to know everything about any topic.

Everyone has different storage needs and uses their storage space differently, so to make a blanket statement about how anyone uses their space is irresponsible. We have been full-timing for five years ... with a stack washer and dryer ... and we've always had everything we needed with us. I insisted on a stack w/d simply because I was not willing to change my 30+ year routine to gain what amounts to the equivalent of the inside of the refrigerator in additional storage. And I won't even go into the issue of my time.

This will sound like bragging to some, and it probably is, but I am very good at using our storage space. In addition to the w/d, our "laundry room" holds a box of winter hats and gloves, all of the laundry supplies (2 large baskets worth), a large collapsible laundry basket, a backpack, my purse and 2 jackets. (Our previous Montana was a 3295 and when we moved into our 3400, even I was amazed at how much stuff I had been able to pack into it. The storage space in that model is fantastic ... I could be wrong, but I think it has the most storage of any of the Montanas.)

I hope I haven't offended you, 3PAC, that was certainly not my intent. I don't post on the MOC very often anymore, but people like Sandra Jones irritate the crap out of me and I just had to respond ... how could she possibly know how any of us use our space, let alone know everything about RVing? As I previously stated, we have been full-timing for just over 5 years now and we're both still learning about our rigs and RVing ... I hope I never stop learning ... about everything!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #52
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So have to agree with you, Vicki and Steve. I've read a few of those "How to RV" books, or at least the first 3 or 4 pages. No one can speak for everyone. And some of these authors are very opionated that their way is the only way. One of the best things I read was you must dump your black tank EVERY day. Those people must have some huge problems to fill up that tank every day. Another said you don't need a washer/dryer. We have the combo but looked very seriously for stackables before we purchased the combo. The stackables that have the angled base on the top one (dryer) still leave a lot of room for supplies. I agree with you Vicki also about the 3400. I still have a few empty spots and I have a full office, lots of craft supplies, lots of clothes, books, etc. Not to mention our N scale railroad. Bet Sandy wouldn't know what to do with that!!!!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #53
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
2008 3400RL
Washer/dryer prep but I didn't buy the washer/dryer.
I found a 5cubic foot refrigerator at Home Depot that fits in there perfectly.
The standard frig isn't big enough for all we want to carry so the added frig space worked great.
We carry at least a week's worth of clothes and if out longer just go to a laundry.
Danny
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #54
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Well we actually got one now. I never thought it would have happened but we have the Splindide 2100xc and we really like it. We have only used it on one trip. It takes a while and the clothes will come out wrinkled but it is nice to just throw them in and when we get back they are done.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #55
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
No,don't want one so says the wife
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #56
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
This topic has been around a long time so I had to go back through and make sure I had not already responded. We have the Whirlpool W/D that came in our Big Sky. I must say I did not want to spend the money for them, thought it was a cost that was not necessary since we are not fulltimers..............but after having them and using them, they are wonderful. I would not be without them. And I have heard about units not holding much.........well I think my loads are almost as large as at home. Some units must not hold much but I can put a dozen or more items in mine and I am not talking underwear. It is so nice to just throw a load of darks in one day, a load of whites in another day and the sheets and towels in another day. It takes all the work out of laundry. It might be nice to have that space for storage, but I will take the Washer/Dryer. I can't get much of anything else in the closet though because they put the washer on the floor and the dryer on a shelf about 3 to 4 inches above. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #57
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
We have the Spendide combo and I love it... although I wish we had temp control on the dryer side... it gets pretty hot. When parked in Fla for the winter... I wash every few days so no need to worry about volume and time consumption, which isn't bad (depends on which type of wash you select (regular, express, etc.)
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #58
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Karen and John brought up a point I don't think otherwise has been covered here. Tub size. How much the tub holds. Our Whirlpool/Crosley units are APARTMENT sized units, NOT RV SIZED. They hold less than many home machines but far more than the RV specific units. For a very short time we had a stack of Majestic RV units. The tubs were very small. That's just one reason we were unhappy with the Majestic units we had and after Majestic told me they have no service people in the Kansas City area (Sears dropped their service contract there) to check out the other problems I actually paid our dealer $100 to swap those Majestics out and put in the Whirlpool/Crosley 4 yr old units from our tradein. And we continue to be happy.

My point is the apartment size units hold far more than the RV specific units. Take measurements to make sure the apt units will fit. Ours does.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #59
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Splendide combo.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #60
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I've been a cheerleader for the Splendide combo units, but the more I use mine, the more I wonder if down the road, I wouldn't like a stackable unit because of the combo-dryer situation. After sreigle brought up apartment-sized units, I know I'll do some investigating before we hit the road as full-timers. I think the Splendide washes as good as my beloved stick-house Maytag, although the loads in the Splendide are a lot smaller. But the drying situation is beginning to get to me. If I don't pull out and hang up everything when it's pretty damp, it's nearly impossible to get out the wrinkles that the tiny Splendide tub creates during the drying cycle. I don't care if my sheets and towels are wrinkled, but I do care if the other things look like we're doing the "College Dorm Life, Part II" thing. I've followed the hints about folding jeans before putting them in the washer, folding sheets, etc.--but the end result is still either wrinkled but dry laundry, or fairly unwrinkled but damp strung-all-over-the-place-laundry for hours.

I'm still a Splendide-combo fan, but I'm not a full-timer yet. Steve, I'm glad you brought up the apartment-size units. I didn't realize such animals existed.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote