Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #41
CouchsCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #911
Hi everyone. Sorry it has taken so long to answer back. (dsprik) The mirror is not glass. The answer I got when asking was it is impact resistant plastic with a chrome coating. It is there to help you when hitching up. (Illini Trekker) It's hard to see in the picture but on the bottom of the docking center there is a white screw on cap that can be removed to let the water hose in. (SMC) The 30' prototype was there to give the deal an idea of what they are going to be making. The one in the pictures will be changed a little before they start taking orders for it. I'm still waiting to see what the changes are but it looks to be a great floor plan.
Montana is trying to get there dealers at least one new camper with the new cap for there first shows. I found out today that i'll have a 3400rl for my january show so hopefully your local dealer will get theres as well for you to see.

ps. Hi Dave & Emily, Steve & Patti. Nice to see you guys on here.
pss.Steve i'll be mailing those pictures to patti first thing in the morning. lol just kidding.

CouchsCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ray.

I doubt they are planning on changing the 3400 too much, as it seems to sell "as is". However, I would like to see any picts as soon as any are available - no guarantee they will not change before we order around the first week in April, or so. Our NW Mich RV show is not until the end of March. We will have to schedule a tour before that, however, about the middle of March, to get ready to order. We, of course will not do anything until the show. Never know what kind of a deal we could run into.

Ray, when/where is your show?

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #43
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Hate to hear about the 3670. Maybe if enough people call they might reconcider, HA,HA. I love our 3670.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #44
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Foley's RV in WA state is a big dealer with a few Montana's in stock and do a search and you will find their site. They will email you a price on any unit in stock or if you want to do a factory order, they will give you a price. They are very nice to deal with and I was all set to buy from them until another dealer closer to me beat the Costco price on an 06 Montana 2955RL that had every option we wanted. Good luck and remember there is a very large markup on RVs and what you are told you are getting for your trade in is a very inflated price.
I was at Foley's the day after Thanksgiving in Mount Vernon, Washington, (just looking) next door to the new Camping World. They had a long line of Montana's and 2 Cambridge models.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #45
CouchsCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #911
Hi dsprik,

We are doing two rv show this year. The first one is at the Airport Expo Center (3900 McCauley Dr. Vandalia, OH 45377).January 13-15 & 20-22. The second one is at Wall 2 Wall Sports Complex (846 Reading Road Mason, OH 45202) Febuary 10-12. The company that puts on the show also does others. They can be found at www.rvexpo.net

Also for everyone I did forget that Mor/Ryde is going to be on montana now also.
CouchsCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #46
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well thats it, I am not going to the rv show end of Jan. Montana now has Mor/Ryde! along with all the other changes I just dont think I could stop myself from trading in. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CouchsCampers

Hi dsprik,

We are doing two rv show this year. The first one is at the Airport Expo Center (3900 McCauley Dr. Vandalia, OH 45377).January 13-15 & 20-22. The second one is at Wall 2 Wall Sports Complex (846 Reading Road Mason, OH 45202) Febuary 10-12. The company that puts on the show also does onthers. They can be found at www.rvexpo.net

Also for everyone I did forget that Mor/Ryde is going to be on Montana now also.
Mor/ryde on the Montana..this just keeps getting better and better..
We really don't need a Camper till around memorial day.We had measurable snow here the second week of May 2005 and our first camping commitment is the FCRV international in Canada in July so we have plenty of time to see what the changes to Montana will be. We were down in the dumps when the 3670 went away but this is starting to get exciting again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, CouchsCampers! I will check to see about making it to one of those two shows. On the Mor/Ryde: is that an option, or standard?

CouchsCampers, http://tinypic.com/ is a pic hosting site that is easy to use. After following the easy directions on the site, copy the "Link" line - the top line of four - (http//:tinypic.com/****.jpg) to your post here on MOC and we can see a pic. That was a very simple way of posting one pic at a time, but if you don't have too many this would be fine... actually, you post as many pics as you like, like this...

http://tinypic.com/ih72hw.jpg (this is live the rest are examples)
http://tinypic.com/xx00xx.jpg
http://tinypic.com/xx01xx.jpg
http://tinypic.com/xx02xx.jpg
(etc)
(These are only examples, but you could paste as many links (pics) as you like. Then we can all go look at them.

I forgot... there's a problem if you can't get you pics on your computer. If you wanted to, and these are just "paper" pics, I believe you can take them to WalMart or any other photo place and have them put these on a CD, I think fairly inexpensively, which you can then transfer to your computer.

Dave

*On Edit~ also a scanner would work to get your pics on your computer, if you had access to one.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #49
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I like some of the improvements! Thanks for posting!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #50
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
For CouchesCampers - I really like the option of getting the Moride suspension. Is there any chance that Keystone will start allowing us to order an upgraded (heavier) axle? That is one of my sticking points. I consider the 6K axles marginal on the 3295RK. Even Forest River will allow me to upgrade to 7K's on the 34CKTS. Thanks, Ted
Montana_4397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #51
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a scanner but find using the digital camera is a faster and easier way to get pictures on the computer.

King27, not sure why you consider the 6k axles marginal. Our 3295RK scales at 14,360, of which 11,060 is on the axles. That's almost a thousand pounds of leeway, roughly 500 lbs per axle. Just my thought and I'm not an expert.

Also, aren't the Dexter axles on the newer Montanas 7k axles (I'm not sure).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #52
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
Steve, these RV's seem to have the same/similiar problem that I have. They seem to gain weight with each model year. I don't have access to the '03 factory spec's since the web site is changed, but I noticed in the past that each year showed an increase in dry weight. The Consumers RV group list the "average curb weight" of an '06 3295RK as 469 pounds heavier than the '03. The options that I'm planning on will add more. Our pulls are primarily to Alaska and back. Although the roads are great now compared to the first time I drove them in late November '62, they still put more stress on an RV than most lower 48 roads. I would be happy if the dexters were 7K's, but I believe they are 6k's. My reasoning is that the published GVWR is 14485, and when I subtract the 2485 pin weight, I have 12K left. Sounds like two 6K axles. They moved to 8 lug wheels, but it seems they kept the 6K axles. I suspect engeneering felt the remainder of the chasis would not support the heavier loads. I don't consider Cedar Creek to be built any heavier, but Forest River will allow me to upgrade to 7K's. It seems that Keystone, Montana division anyway, is quite stubborn about upgrades and options. The 3295RK floorplan is really a hit with us, but I've still not decided for sure. I've even thrown the Jayco Designer 36RLTS into the mix. I'm very confortable with it's build quality and finish, but just don't like the flooplan as well. Somtime over the next three weeks, I'll roll the dice and drop an order.

Best Regards, Ted
Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #53
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I'm not quite sure what axles I have as they gave me literature on both Al-Ko and Dexter, think they must be Dexters however. Supposed that they should be stamped somewhere underneath, will crawl under there when it warms up some and check them out.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #54
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by King27

Steve, these RV's seem to have the same/similiar problem that I have. They seem to gain weight with each model year. I don't have access to the '03 factory spec's since the web site is changed, but I noticed in the past that each year showed an increase in dry weight. The Consumers RV group list the "average curb weight" of an '06 3295RK as 469 pounds heavier than the '03. The options that I'm planning on will add more. Our pulls are primarily to Alaska and back. Although the roads are great now compared to the first time I drove them in late November '62, they still put more stress on an RV than most lower 48 roads. I would be happy if the dexters were 7K's, but I believe they are 6k's. My reasoning is that the published GVWR is 14485, and when I subtract the 2485 pin weight, I have 12K left. Sounds like two 6K axles. They moved to 8 lug wheels, but it seems they kept the 6K axles. I suspect engeneering felt the remainder of the chasis would not support the heavier loads. I don't consider Cedar Creek to be built any heavier, but Forest River will allow me to upgrade to 7K's. It seems that Keystone, Montana division anyway, is quite stubborn about upgrades and options. The 3295RK floorplan is really a hit with us, but I've still not decided for sure. I've even thrown the Jayco Designer 36RLTS into the mix. I'm very confortable with it's build quality and finish, but just don't like the flooplan as well. Somtime over the next three weeks, I'll roll the dice and drop an order.

Best Regards, Ted
Thanks for the update, Ted. Below are the 2003 specs. I think you'll find the actual loaded pinweight on almost all models will be higher than advertised. Ours is 3,300.

I haven't seen the specs for the 2006 models so am not aware the 3295RK GVWR went up. It has been 14,300 for several years now. In any case, ours on a CAT scale is at 14,360 and not many, if any, are going to be any heavier in actual use. With 3,300 on the pin, that leaves 11,060 actual on the axles. I really don't think it's a problem but that's just my opinion. I've been wrong many times before.

We like the 3295RK because of it's homey feel, like a small apartment, and because it has the most storage and one of the highest carrying capacities of any model that we've seen. I'm sure you'll base your decision on your own priorities. Just remember you have to live with the decision. There are a lot of good FW's out there. It's nice to have good choices. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #55
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

I'm not quite sure what axles I have as they gave me literature on both Al-Ko and Dexter, think they must be Dexters however. Supposed that they should be stamped somewhere underneath, will crawl under there when it warms up some and check them out.
Charlie, I'm not positive but I think the Dexters have the 8-lug wheels while the Alkos have the 6-lug wheels. Someone correct me if that's wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:51 AM   #56
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
King27, I also liked the Jayco designer but I did not care for their roof constuction. Look in the brochure and you can see they have no rafters but instead they have a bonded sytem that relys on the glue to keep it's strength. This may be fine now but in 1987 I bought a new 5th Wheel with a bonded roof and it delaminated and the roof deflected under the weight of the A/C.

I am not sure if this would ever happen in a Jayco, but I like the idea of rafters. Take care,
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:55 AM   #57
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
Thanks, Steve for the follow up. The only increse I detect in the GVWR is the additional 185 pounds they list on the pin. I believe industry wide practice is to list their pin weights lighter than they really are. The weight gain is indicated by the '06 having 360 pounds less carrying capacity than the '03. It still has the best carrying capacity accross the Montana line. I think we could (probably will) be very happy with a 3295RK. It has almost everything we are looking for, large counter space around the sink in the kitchen for the wife, stackable washer dryer space, space for a medium sized freezer and a desk, all packaged in a smaller unit than the others I'm considering. I would just like to strengthen it somewhat underneath knowing the roads that I will be travelling. The extra axles are a minimal cost up front compared with replacement costs. I really think I would like to convert to disc brakes also and would much prefer to have the 8K axles. Just one of my different opinions. Sometimes I have many. Thanks again.

Best Regards, Ted
Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 AM   #58
Montana_4397
Established Member

M.O.C. #4397
Wrencgtraveler, the roof construction did raise a question with me, but I really haven't gotten far enough along to talk extensively about it. The flooplan is not the best for us, in my opinion. My main gripe is the King Bed and no ability to go back to a queen. In RV's space is limited and all items are a trade-off, or compromise for something else. We have around 3K sf in our stick house and don't have a King bed. During 38 years of marriage, a queen has been sufficient. That 12" could be used for something else, or just left out and you would have a 37' unit instead of one that is 38'. Overall, I think the Jayco Designer is at the top end in quality of the Mid line units. It just does not fit me well. We just sold out Jayco Eagle travel travel trailer that we had pulled to Alaska and back twice with no problems. I believe that if they were having roof problems, it would be all over the web at this time. Most problems get much more attention than good reliable service gets.

Best Regards, Ted
Old 12-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #59
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
King27, Ted, I think you are right about no roof problems in the Jayco. I also agree with you on the Queen versus King bed issue. One should have a choice and Donna and I wanted the Queen in our 2955RL after going in that model with a King. It just made the closet access too tight for us .

Congratulations on 38 years of marriage and we have our 35th anniversary coming up in Feb.

So many close couples like the RV lifestyle and I think it is because you have to get along very well to live happily in the smaller space an RV offers. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #60
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm laughing at this discussion on King vs Queen. We have been together for 22 years and always had a king at home but a queen in the 5ers. When we would come home we complained about not being able to find each other in that big bed. Especially as age starts making moves more painful. So we recently bought a new queen bed and got rid of our king. Our family thought we were nuts. We like it better, bedding is cheaper and easier to launder and we gained a whole lot of room in our bedroom. To each his own.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote