Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #61
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
dsprik,
Interestingly enough your graphics are NOT causing a problem. The only thing about your postings are your weather graphics and labels above them. I altered them one time so that the names lined up with the actual graphics. But you changed them back so that they do not line up. Since it was not causing a problem I just left them like you changed them. Don't know why you don't want them to line up?

A 50K picture would not cause a problem. We have them up to 100K. But we do ask members to limit the pictures to as small a size as possible NOT to exceed 100K.

RVWheels

RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #62
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry about that, RVWheels. I changed computers and my PC Firefox had a different font than my Apple iBook Firefox. That's why I changed them. But if you could change them back for me, that would be great. I'll leave it alone this time (I don't plan on switching computers again in the near future).
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
RVWheels..I like the graphics.I sort of like to see who we are talking to,Puts it on more of a personal basis.Our picture was my first attempt and we posted it at a little over 40K.It could be smaller. Although we are on a T1 dsl line we do keep a dialup Earthlink account for backup and even on a good dialaup connection the graphics can slow you down quite a bit.We turn graphics off when on dialup.We will be changing our graphics on a regular basis and we will keep then at about 40K. I am going to downsize the present graphic to about 20k and see what happens.Anytime you feel that our graphic is to large or causing a problem please feel free to adjust it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:12 AM   #64
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Sunseeker, we agree with you. Would rather see problems and how they were solved. Improvement pictures are great.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 AM   #65
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We also agree with Sunseeker. These pages are getting too busy.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #66
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think that after the holidays a lot of the graphics will go away????
Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 AM   #67
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This forum is very educational and we all learn a lot. BUT this forum is also FUN. That is what makes it so unique in the internet world. The graphics and smileys are part of the fun. They can be turned off by those that don't like them but for the rest of us, please let us have our fun. And yes Rich after Christmas many will go away but then there is Valentine's Day, Presidents Day, St. Patricks, Easter, Memorial Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas again!
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 AM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have a problem with the graphics..we like them..we have a fast DSL connection and graphics are not a problem. There is just a increase in graphics during holiday periods and of course as we do when on a slower dialup connection..just turn them off.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #69
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the size limits posted by our Administrators is 640x480 and no larger than 60k bytes. I think they also said "try" to keep it below 60k but up to 90k is ok if that is not possible. Many of us have offered to resize pictures for anyone who will email the picture to us.

As for it taking lots of time on dialup, that's not really a problem. We sometimes are on slow dialups when traveling. The text is readable while the pictures are loading. I open posts in a New Window (or new tab when using Firefox), read the text, then close the window when done. I think, but do not remember for sure, that you can even reply without waiting for all the pictures to load.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #70
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

this last week, while on dial up, I have not been able to move the page or anything till it loads or I bomb out. I should turn off the graphics, but I really am on short times, just a few minutes, then gone for the rest of the day. When I am on my cell phone, it is really bad, sometimes pages just will not load, forget downloading email from AOL when you are on the cell phone, does NOT happen.

WIFI, WIFI, WIFI,ohhhh, that is MISSION!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #71
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, GIF animations are fully loaded when they start animating, to answer your question.

Remember, all, for dialup folks it is not just the size of a single picture but the sum total of all pictures on the web page being loaded. If a signature has no pictures more than 50k but has 10 of those, that is 500k and takes as long to load as a single 500k picture.

I like the graphics, even when on a slow dialup, but unlike Carol's situation I've been able to read the text, scroll the page, etc., while graphics are loading. Must be a setting somewhere that controls that.

Carol are you using IE or Firefox? I have not tried FF on a dialup. My comments related to IE.

Another option is to rightclick on a thread link and select open in new window (or tab). Do that for several threads. By then the first one is likely done loading. By the time you finish and close that window, the second one is done, etc. This is, of course, just a workaround but is a method I use on dialup and even on wifi.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #72
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, we have Firefox on dialup (49.2 KBPS on a good connection, sometimes as slow as 44kbps) and it handles the graphics quite well. There's a slight wait for the download but it's not too bad. Firefox is faster than IE and hasn't frozen up once since we started using it a couple weeks ago.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #73
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Judy, I have alot of animations on my sig. How does your current setup pull them up? OK or not?
Dave
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM   #74
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, they do just fine and look great.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #75
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK. Thanks, Judy!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #76
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I'm also using Firefox and they show just fine.

Carol, a shot in the dark... I have the following checked on mine. I'm wondering if the placeholders being there allows the page to be scrolled while loading. Might be worth a try.

In IE, tools/internet options/advanced/multimedia/show image download placeholders
Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #77
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Not sure Steve, I'll write that down and have a look. The ice fell off the "S" dish last night between 10 PM and 3 AM. Got to say, it is nice to have it back, even tho we would dump this service in a heartbeat if there was something else we could sign up for. One of the joys of country living!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:47 AM   #78
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
I'm using my cell phone and your graphics are fine.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #79
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv. What cell phone program do you have that shows graphics? I haven't seen any cell phone email program other than text. Do you have "smart" phone?