Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Home Away from Home Improvements------

Wintering here at Glendale, Az for a couple more weeks. Have the time and temperatures available to make a couple of improvements but have a couple more questions.

Info is reqested from those with experience on these items--

We are starting to get some trailer brake squeek when stopping or slowing our Montana. Is this more likely brake dust or worn out pads after about 15,000 miles.
Mostly traveled in lower traffic, rolling or level country.???

.--Thinking of getting bearings and pads inspected, (maintained-replaced?) wheels repacked etc at this time. What may lurk behind that hub cap? Todate I have only added grease by gun sparingly a couple times.

Truck and 5er tires all look pretty good yet. Truck about 47,000 miles. Trailer about 15,000. What can we expect for performance
(tread mileage, that is)?

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I fought that squeal for a long time until I figured out I was over torquing the lug nuts. Retorqued them per the manual (I used 90-95 lb/ft) and it eliminated the squeal.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Usually trailer tires have to be replaced due to age and cracking vs wearing out. If You look at the sidewalls of the tires near the tread You will find little triangles or arrows. These point to wear indicators in the treads. These indicators are little bars of rubber in between the treads that show when the tire is worn down and should be replaced. This is mainly as a traction issue but when the treads get worn a small screw or sharp stone that would not cause a problem to a tire with a lot of tread now causes a leak.

Most LT tires will last 25000 or more miles easily.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #4
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
With 15,000 miles on it I would take it in and have the brakes checked. They most likely need adjusting but shouldn't need to be replaced. You should also have them repack the bearings while they are checking the brakes.

We got ours in May this year and only have about 3,000 miles on it and I have ours at the dealer right now for maintenance on the brakes and bearings. Your first few thousand miles is where the brakes will seat and wear the most. After that they should only need maintenance about every 10,000 miles or so.

As for the brake noise I have heard that if the controller is set too strong it can make the brakes become noisy. Mine makes some noise after I've driven it in traffic that's one of the reasons I took it in for the maintenance.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
My 5ver had approximately 5,000 miles and the drums needed to be turned. I could turn my brake controller down and reduce the noise...it also reduced the brakes effectiveness. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Well we've got a Montana brake inspection scheduled soon. I recognize some of the symptoms you folks have described. I have torqued to 100#.
Also I run trailer brakes set kind of tight. I guess an inspection and an adjustment might be in order. And it would be nice to get some reassurace that that is all that is involved.

Coming down the big hill (Big Hill = I-17 Flagstaff to Phoenix) last Wed. things seemed to work pretty good actually.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote