Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Took the 3400 out and have problems

Hi gang,

We took the 3400 out for our first test this weekend. We had a few problems so would love to hear from you.

We set up camp on Thursday night using the AC. The one AC cooled it without a problem. We had to leave and go back to work on Friday so we left about 6:30 AM. Since the AC was working fine we left Alex, our cat, in the Monty. We get back about 5PM as we have to grocery shop before we come back. I open the door and I feel this blast of hot air, it was 95 outside. I rush in and find the cat ok but out of water and panting. The breaker had popped and when we turned it back on the AC started running again. We were hooked up with 50AMP power and only the refrigerator on.

My question for you is this I didn't shut the refrigerator door until it clicked. We woke up late and I missed this when I closed the door after getting creamer out. The frig was warm but the freezer was cold. Would this cause the AC breaker to pop? When we were doing a pre PDI the salesman showed us how to use the slides and he ended up popping the AC breaker that day. I am worried that it might not be a good breaker, or maybe it is the dummy factor here that is the culprut.

Hubby didn't have the Monty completely level. It was level front to back but not side to side. It was off level very slightly and he had already unhooked the truck so he didn't want to hook back up. When we used the shower we had standing water in the back of the tub area. I am thinking this was because the trailer wasn't complete level. Am I correct in my thinking?

Microwave/1/2 time oven is not working. I tried cooking potatoes in it using the 1/2 feature, they would not cook. I take out the metal tray and then try the microwave, still no luck. I finally put it back on the convection oven and leave them cooking forever and they do cook. I try using the oven the next moring for biscuits and nothing is working. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this thing is a lemon.

I found a piece of something under the vinyl right before the steps to the bedroom. I guess I didn't feel this as I was in shoes before. I did run my hand over all of the flooring in our pre PDI but I missed it. I am worried that with time it will tear through since it is a high traffic area. Any thoughts?

Over all we are so very please with how things went. It pulls very well with our truck. Time will tell if we will have to have the second AC. If you are cooking with propane in Texas heat it does heat up. I didn't use the oven just the cook top.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Colleen,

I think I would be calling the dealer, I know, I know, but at least REPORT these flaws to the dealer. Get them on record.

The "something under the vinyl" might have shifted into that area since you did the PDI?? You might remember we had a screw under the carpet a while back, why didn't we feel that before?? I have NO Idea.

Far as the 1/2 time oven, I would surely take that back to the dealer. Let them figure it out.

The A/C and the level and the popping circuit breaker, I will leave to those more expert than ole Carol. I would double check to see that the electric water heater was not on. You were running the A/C on high fan, yes?? When it is that hot, we do try to keep the day/night shades down, to cut down on the heat, you can really feel it blasting in those windows. Again, I am no electrical expert, that is Al's job, but he has told me over and over that if the power drops voltage and such that it can be damaging to the A/C compressor, is it possible there was a brown out in the campground that day with that much heat?? Ok, the experts here will have some feedback for you, probably a lot more accurate than my ramblings! (HAHA)

Leaving a pet in the unit on hot days is one thing that always concerns me. They can take a lot more cold than heat. They have some new crates coming out that have little heaters and coolers in them, I think I read that they also will have some kind of warning device that will call your cell phone or something, if it is too hot in that crate. They will be about $50 to $60 per, for the small ones, and I am seriously thinking of investing in some.

Let us know what you find out, eh??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Which breaker tripped? The main 50amp one or the individual A/C one?

I doubt the trip was caused by anything you did. My guess would be that there was a voltage drop during the heat of the day that caused a breaker to trip. This is one reason why some people have an "Autoformer" to maintain the voltage to their rig. The other possibility is a defective breaker. In fact since you say the salesman already popped the breaker once, this may be the more likely answer. The slides do not use AC power directly, but they would cause the battery charger to kick in, and that would add to the AC load. When you add up the amps for the air conditioner, fridge, water heater, and battery charger, you would be getting up there, but should not reach 50 amps. (Could even be the combined effect of low voltage and a weak breaker).

You are probably right about the levelness affecting the shower, ours drains OK if we are level.

It sounds like your microwave is defective. (Donna loves our half time oven - I wouldn't give up on it.) (It seems to me that the microwave won't run if the voltage is too low - maybe there is a pattern developing here, can you check the supply voltage?)

I would get the "something" removed from under the vinyl.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
There is another thread on MOC about the 1/2 time ovens. I think several have had problems with them. Using the search feature should find the thread.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your coach. I hope your dealership is able to get them corrected and have you back on the road in no time at all.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Driftwoodgal..try running the A/C on auto..don't know why everyone advises running it on high//also let the fantastic fan run on auto to keep the air flowing..The fridge and freezer door are really tight and that is good but you do have to make sure they are properly closed...it's a camnper thing. Sounds like you were not level..Take more time to insure that you are level..Don't know about the 1/2 time oven..This is a ongoing learning experience..Keep trying...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The Dometic a/c units are known for "freezing up" if run on low all the time. Over the past 3 summers w/ my 3400RL, I have learned to leave the a/c in the "ON" mode and on "HIGH". I also let it dump into the living room and use the bedroom a/c to cool off the front half. I had the return airbox re-sealed this spring which seems to have solved the problem of tripping the breaker.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Update on the 1/2 time oven..The trouble with ours was... on the inside of the door..around the glass is a plastic strip that goes all the way around the window..It is a snap in and it was not properly snapped in..I-75 in Mich may have jolted it loose..Missed it before as it looked snapped in but was not..check it out...It prevents the door from closing all the way and the unit will not work.

For the A/C... Proper Ventilation, air flow, ventilation, airflow..will most likely solve the freezing problem...
Old 07-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We had the same type of problem with ours. A trip to the factory didn't fix it. Fortunately one of the few things our dealer did that was right, was to recommend a shop which specialized in A/C. They had it for about a half a day and discovered what the problem was and fixed it. At their recommendation, especially if it is humid, is to run it on high, especially if you are going to leave your pets. We hate the extra noise, but have not had a "freeze-up" problem.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Richfaa, I am confused about your recommendation to run the AC on auto and the fantastic fan at the same time. Won't the fan pull the cool air out of the Monty?
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Charlotte,

I can’t speak for RichFAA, but I’ve done that a few times, myself.

The way I figure it, the A/C is blowing its cool air downward, The air where the Fan-Tastic is is hot air, having risen to where it can then be extracted by the fan.

One thing it could do, in case of an A/C freeze-up, is to pull air through the A/C, helping to thaw it out. More or less adding to the movement the A/C’s fan creates.

Admittedly, I haven’t done it in a while. But we don’t seem to have a freeze-up problem in this unit, even though the A/C’s been running about 12 hours straight, each day. The only time I get a flashing indication on the thermostat is when it’s early morning, or late evening, and I’ve left the A/C set to what I usually set it on all day long. But even that passes quickly, due to it staying above 70 degrees all night long.

The only negative to using that method is that it probably expends a little more electricity than not running the Fan-Tastic.

A side positive to it is that it helps freshen the air in the Monty. Having two large dogs, that makes it a good thing in my book.

Bear in mind, this is only from my own experience, and using my own cognitive abilities. It may be totally wrong. And if so, I hope someone pops in to say so.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gyro explained it well.Cold air is heavy and falls to the lowest level.Hot air is light and rises to the highest level..It needs to escape and the fan aids in air flow. You must have adequate airflow for any A/C to work properly.We had a little condensation on the A/c yesterday, very humid,,We cracked the vents on the A/C unit just a bit and it went away
Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sadly, the factory is rushed and things like the electrical panel are detail oriented.
My low voltage panels feed wire was just sitting under the screw used to attach, or tighten it, it was 'backseated' I had to really twist on the screwdriver to get it to turn, then I got 3 turns before it was tight, that would have given me serious headaches down the line.
I am guessing you may have loose connections on your line voltage panel, loose wires, poor connection, it will work for a while, but heat will build up and it will trip. Just guessing, but an educated guess.
They will fix it for you, whatever it is, sorry you had these problems, but put that behind you, and keep the good thoughts, you have many perfect trips and perfect potatoes ahead of you.
It is your Montana and you can do anything you want with it, but the less outside air you bring in, the cooler your unit will stay.
We have been in our home for 20 years, I have never had our central air furnace fan off of continuous 'high' speed, better air flow, more overall comfort. JMHO as an air conditioning service man. Our Montana will be on high speed and continuous fan as well.
Oz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 AM   #14
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I own 2004 3670RL and my A/C breaker switches off fairly frequently (once a week). The only time it really switches off though is when I mess with the speed of the cieling fan while the A/C is running. Usually when I turn the cieling fan to low or off setting my A/C breaker switches off. I'm not sure if it is my breaker box. A couple of weeks ago I noticed corrsion under my battery box on the metal pan. I checked it out and the battery was wet. The batter did not smell and was not hot so I'm not sure if it was "cooking". I'm thinking the converter is not turning off the battery charger and is slowly cooking the battery. The power converter is the same piece of equipment as the breaker box so it may be a faulty system (God I hope not) I have disconnected the red teminal of the battery now and cleaned everything with baking soda and water. I would recommend checking your battery for corrosion as well since you are having the same breaker problems as myself.

Also as far as the A/C freezing up. Mine has been freezing up, but it is due to the fact that the A/C runs continuously at any one time. A couple solutions to this are... run you fan on high for this will cool your house quicker and will allow the A/C to shut off sooner allowing any ice that has accumulated to thaw out before it turns on again. Another solution is to set the thermostat slightly higher so the A/C is not fighting the outside temperature as much and will spend more time off and thawing out then on and frezzing. You have to let those coils warm back up between cycles otherwise it will be a snowball offect (no pun intended of ice build up.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
You might also try not putting the thermostat on auto. On auto it will turn off when the desired temperature is reached. If you run the AC on low/high fan NOT auto, the fan will continue to run even when the compressor kicks off and it will help defrost or evaporate any ice/water quicker.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mine's on Auto, with the high fan speed selected, and it currently runs all day long, from about 8AM until after 8PM, before outside temps drop enough for it to reach the 79 or so degrees I have on the remote control setting.

It's only frozen up, (indicated by lack of cool air and a flashing LED on the wall thermostat,) a few times. Mostly when it's starting to cool off outside, with loads of humidity. And it was the same way with our 2004 3380, which had the old style manual thermostat.

Judging from the freeze-up solution in another thread, it's highly possible that folks who have freeze-ups a lot may also have blocked air ducts. Stands to reason if you restrict the air moving over those A/C coils, the coils can freeze up.

I wonder if anyone's got a small web-type cam on little tracks that can traverse a duct from back to front, or vice versa.... Could make money inspecting these things, like those plumbers with snake cameras do!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we run the A/C on auto with no problems.Note when on auto it will cycle to keep the desired temp to within 2 degrees, so says the book, and it does that.We also keep the roof vents cracked and the Fantastic fan on to let the hot air escape and aid in ventilation. Our home which has vaulted ceilings has a vent at the highest point also to let the hot air escape and returns in every room to aid in circulation. I guess what ever works for you is the best way to go..Now I think that if we were in some really hot and humid temps we might run on high continuous as it most likely would be running all the time in auto anyway.