Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Hello from Indiana

We just bought a Montana Mountaineer 345DBQ. We traded in a Damon Hornet 305L 5th wheel that I accidently bought on E-bay this spring. You know, "I'll just put a lower than the buy it now price on this camper and see what happens." Well, nobody out bid me so it was mine.
Picked it up to find it had not been winterised and the water heater was busted and some of the pipes had been blown off the faucets.
Plus two roof leaks left me disappointed about my purchase so it was time to bail out of that one and buy a new one.
Our montana is a used 08 because the origonal owners traded it back in for a toy hauler.
So camping is all about making memorys so on to the next part of the story.
We took our old 5ver to the dealership to trade it in the Friday before Labor day to trade it in without any troubles.
Saturday we went back to pick up our new unit. After swaping everything over to the Montana we were on our way. The first turn the camper brakes were pulsing on and off so I was messing with the brake controller trying to figure what was going on. Then it just quit. So we continued home and the next right turn it did it again. I figured there had to be a problem in the camper wireing so we turned down this tiny little one lane country road to go back to the dealership. Finally found a tiny little cross road to turn around in. Got back to find that my brake lights do not work now.
The center pin on my 7 pin lighting connector had pushed through and must have went from the truck brake lights to ground which burned something up in the truck's steering collum wireing. Then it went from the turn signal to camper brakes on the right side so when I turned it on the camper brakes would pulse.
So the truck could not be fixed there so onword we would go without brake lights.
We were doing fine in the 95* summer heat when all of a sudden BOOM.
So I pulled over on highway 465 that goes around Indianapolis.
I looked down the drivers side not seeing anything wrong with the camper tires while I took my life into my own hands with the flying traffic. Passengers side looked the same too. Nothing wrong under the truck. So what????
Went back to the drivers side to see that the tread had blown completely off of the trucks back tire! They were real low mileage but about 3 years old. Not to mention that they are also 9.50 16.5 tires on my old 72 Dodge.
You will not find them on a Saturday evening labor day weekend. So luckly I did have a bauld, old, weather cracked spare tire I had not even looked at in 3 years under the truck. You never plain on using those things do you?
So after removing the camper, changing the tire, airing up the spare, re-attaching the camper we were back on our way. SLOWLY as to not blow out the junk spare.
Then it sounded like a truck or car without an exhaust on it was passing us by. But it was my new exhaust that had loosened up on the manifold and blew out causing it now to sound like a derby car under load.
But we finally got to our destination before the camp ground closed. Life is good!
But we not done with the down turn of luck yet...
My 10 year old son was showing his mom how he could ramp this cool ramp that the kids made = broken arm and a concussion.
Went to take him to the hospital with the derby car sounding truck when I got a glemps of our 4 year old daughter with down syndrome walking around. Where did she go? With the truck idling in drive she was standing in front of the truck with her head resting on the bumper. Still makes me sick to think about the what if's. God still had the situation under control no mater how bad it seemed.
So son gets a new cast. The next day he was sick and vomiting all day from the concussion. Next trip to the hospital for de-hydration. Then the rest of my week's vacation was tied to doctor visits and surgery to reset his arm.
But we survived our first week with our new camper. Does anybody know how to get a re-do for a bad vacation week? I am sure I could do better next time!
P.S I love this web site where I can safely surf without anybody getting hurt!
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote