Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #21
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Looking for good advice, not snide comments from ignorant people.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #22
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Yup, a trip to the scales is in the works, fully loaded except for water, which I only carry about 120 pounds worth when traveling. All other tanks are empty.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
The load range on the specs label on the rig is an E rated tire.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not sure exactly who you were talking of about the snide comment. If it was me I apologize for that. The issue here is we have been through hundreds of threads over these Tire issues. We being Montana owner have gone through what you're going through, we are simply trying to prevent you from going through it.

Your unit is just a 160 pounds lighter than mine fully loaded. The label on my camper also says E. I think some of the newer units are now coming with G rated tires. That alone should tell you something. I think what it means is Keystone has heard so much bitching about the E rated tires they started putting G on.

I don't know how to say it in a softer way, if you are telling that camper down the road with any E Rated Tire on it sooner or later it's going to blow up. When it blows up it has the potential to destroy your camper. It will tear the Darko Fabric in the wheel wells possibly take out propane lines electric lines electric brake lines etc etc

This is not a keystone Montana issue. It is an issue for every RV manufacturer with heavy 5th Wheel Trailers. I don't care what the tag on your camper says I don't care what Keystone says I don't care what Good Year says if you don't get those tires off your camper you may be sorry you didn't listen to the people who have already gone through it

Sorry I've if I sounded harsh but that's what it takes to get the message through.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #25
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Re certified truck

Tony, here is a photo of the new specs on my door. I know not many spring shops can do this. They have to be DOT certified and there are other regulations they have to follow, which I know nothing about. I know the basic difference between a 2500 and a 3500 with chevy is a leaf spring. Thats it. Try to find a 4 wheel 3500. I looked for months and could only find stripped down work trucks, so I went this route which worked out well. I can still get my truck in the garage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7952466-12CC-4402-A349-3AC5E9C56FCF.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	6990   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DCBBBF2-5843-4864-B330-DD130BA6829D.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	6992  
Old 08-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I’m new to this forum , like just signed up two days ago so, I haven’t had the pleasure of reading all the threads about the tires. I did speak with my factory sales rep for Montana today. He was FAR more helpful than anyone in customer service. Keystone has upgraded the tires on their newer units. Not sure when that happened but the 2020 High Country units now come with F rated tires, the Montana units come with G rated tires. This is due to the new RIVA specs. All that said I need to verify my rims are good for 110 psi. If they are, I’m sure they will take a G rated tire, and will verify that as well. Wish I had signed up to the forum earlier. Could have avoided this mistake but went with the info on the rig and thinking I went with a better tire than what I had, which I did, just not the right one.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Mikelff, take a close up picture of your truck door yellow sticker I can't see it it's too blurry. Or simply State what the max cargo carrying capacity is
Old 08-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #28
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As to E tires blowing up sooner or later, not all E tires. I have used Michlien E LT tires since 2006. If my memory is right, they weigh around 60 lb. That is the same as the Sailun tires, I think.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
As to E tires blowing up sooner or later, not all E tires. I have used Michlien E LT tires since 2006. If my memory is right, they weigh around 60 lb. That is the same as the Sailun tires, I think.
I agree there are some E Rated LT tires that I would use on a somewhat lighter unit. I replaced the China bombs on a previous Raptor toy hauler with Firestone Transforce HT e rated tires. Never had an issue.

If the weight of your two axles is around 10 11,000 you'd probably be okay with a quality LT Tire.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The way I see it, the cost of the Sailuns compared to TransForce compared to endurance is very similar so why not go with the highest rated tire for the same money. It's pretty much a no-brainer as long as your wheels can handle 110 PSI
Old 08-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #31
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I’m new to this forum , like just signed up two days ago so, I haven’t had the pleasure of reading all the threads about the tires. I did speak with my factory sales rep for Montana today. He was FAR more helpful than anyone in customer service. Keystone has upgraded the tires on their newer units. Not sure when that happened but the 2020 High Country units now come with F rated tires, the Montana units come with G rated tires. This is due to the new RIVA specs. All that said I need to verify my rims are good for 110 psi. If they are, I’m sure they will take a G rated tire, and will verify that as well. Wish I had signed up to the forum earlier. Could have avoided this mistake but went with the info on the rig and thinking I went with a better tire than what I had, which I did, just not the right one.

You don't post what trailer you have. Mine is in my signature. It came with F rated tires (Ranier). I had those removed and replaced with Sailun S637s LRG before it left the lot. I just do not trust the "cheapest" option that they put on an RV. The OEM wheels on the HC were rated for 110psi.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #32
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't post what trailer you have. Mine is in my signature. It came with F rated tires (Ranier). I had those removed and replaced with Sailun S637s LRG before it left the lot. I just do not trust the "cheapest" option that they put on an RV. The OEM wheels on the HC were rated for 110psi.
It’s out there somewhere. Lol! I have a 2018 Montana High Country 358 BH. 40’6”.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #33
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Mikelff, take a close up picture of your truck door yellow sticker I can't see it it's too blurry. Or simply State what the max cargo carrying capacity is
beeje,

NEW GVWR 11,000 lbs.(same as 2017 3500)
GAWR REAR 7,200lbs.
GAWR FRONT. 5,200 lbs.
Original max cargo was 2147 lbs., which is no longer valid.
Tried to find the original specs on line but couldn’t. That was surprising .
Also upgraded the tires which they also listed on the label. LT285/60R20/ 125/122R
If you can find the original specs for a 2017 2500 4wd diesel, you can probably figure out new max payload. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:18 AM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
beeje,

NEW GVWR 11,000 lbs.(same as 2017 3500)
GAWR REAR 7,200lbs.
GAWR FRONT. 5,200 lbs.
Original max cargo was 2147 lbs., which is no longer valid.
Tried to find the original specs on line but couldn’t. That was surprising .
Also upgraded the tires which they also listed on the label. LT285/60R20/ 125/122R
If you can find the original specs for a 2017 2500 4wd diesel, you can probably figure out new max payload. Hope this helps.
As far as I know no one can change a truck's weight rating from the way it left from the factory. You can change Springs you can put on airbags and anything else you want it will not change that number. May help carry the load better.

God forbid if you get in an accident and someone was killed and your insurance company finds out you were way overloaded you could be sued and your insurance company would refuse to pay any damages
Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
As far as I know no one can change a truck's weight rating from the way it left from the factory. You can change Springs you can put on airbags and anything else you want it will not change that number. May help carry the load better.

God forbid if you get in an accident and someone was killed and your insurance company finds out you were way overloaded you could be sued and your insurance company would refuse to pay any damages
Apparently you can. Like I said, it takes going through some hoops. Google it. Typically done with special purpose trucks. Not a common practice.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Apparently you can. Like I said, it takes going through some hoops. Google it. Typically done with special purpose trucks. Not a common practice.
I did in fact Google it and read multiple articles. And it did state that some larger heavier vehicles are sometimes recertified. But almost all of the article stated that a pickups payload capacity will never change no matter what you do to it.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #37
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I did in fact Google it and read multiple articles. And it did state that some larger heavier vehicles are sometimes recertified. But almost all of the article stated that a pickups payload capacity will never change no matter what you do to it.

This has been hashed over many times ,and yes you are correct, nothing changes the specs of the truck, yes it may be more capable but its still just a 3/4 ton
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #38
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I have seen reclassified trucks. But usually they have been cab and chassis because of some upfitting.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #39
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
It looks like we are both correct. What I have is a certified alteration, which is legal. The shop that does the work must be certified by DOT to do the work and follow certain guidelines. Thats why I have the “certification “ sticker. Here is the legal mumbo jumbo I copied from the regs. Wish I had saved the links because it was almost impossible to find. Actually found it by mistake:

Requirements for persons who alter certified vehicles.

(a) With respect to the vehicle alterations it performs, an alterer:

(1) Has a duty to determine continued conformity of the altered vehicle with applicable Federal motor vehicle safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention standards, and

(2) Assumes legal responsibility for all duties and liabilities for certification under the Vehicle Safety Act.

(b) The vehicle manufacturer's certification label and any information labels shall remain affixed to the vehicle and the alterer shall affix to the vehicle an additional label in the manner and location specified in § 567.4, in a manner that does not obscure any previously applied labels, and containing the following information:

(1) The statement: “This vehicle was altered by (individual or corporate name) in (month and year in which alterations were completed) and as altered it conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards affected by the alteration and in effect in (month, year).” The second date shall be no earlier than the date of manufacture of the certified vehicle (as specified on the certification label), and no later than the date alterations were completed.

(2) If the gross vehicle weight rating or any of the gross axle weight ratings of the vehicle as altered are different from those shown on the original certification label, the modified values shall be provided in the form specified in § 567.4(g)(3) and (4).

(3) If the vehicle as altered has a different type classification from that shown on the original certification label, the type as modified shall be provided.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You're not alone out there. There are hundreds of thousands of 3/4 ton trucks that have been modified in hopes that they can safely pull their heavy trailers but they're still 3/4 ton trucks with the same cargo carrying capacity they were before they started.

All we're really talking about is the amount of squat your truck receives when it's loaded up.

I also get the fact but a lot of these folks either don't want to Pony up the money for another truck or they simply do not have the funds to do that. So they try and make the best of what they have. I get it but that doesn't make it right