Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2024, 05:38 PM   #21
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Airstream was in a downward spiral when Thor took control in 1980 and turned it around. Thor also owns Jayco, Tiffin, KZ, Heartland, among others. Have they cheapened those brands?
Watch this.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:45 PM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
While I agree that quality across the whole industry has fallen, by this guy’s own admission of “I am not an expert in the RV industry”, gives little reason to put much credence in his personal opinions beyond mine or anyone else’s.

Brinkley may turn out to be a good RV. Only been in business less that 2 years (and they have a current recall about “The axle spindle weld may fail, resulting in the wheel assembly detaching from the axle.”) so time will tell. Appears their 5ers start at over $115,000.

But beyond that, the original issue was about Thor cheapening anything they touch. The video simply says every RV since covid is trash. Except Brinkley. And the video struck me as a subtle sales pitch for Brinkley.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:42 AM   #23
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I think he sees something in Brinkley that makes him want to believe they will be better. Time will tell. I’ve seen them before Tampa and I think they have some very good points but at Tampa I was looking at the wall and ceiling joints that he mentioned using a bead of silicone rather than trim and immediately started asking myself how long that will last flexing on our wonderful roads. If they are building a trailer that won’t flex those joints, that would really be something. I’m not convinced..yet. My wife was impressed with their cabinetry and the pantry’s but when I think of all the heavy stuff we have in our pantry, I think I would have to find somewhere else for that stuff, the salesman could not tell me what that roll out system can handle weight wise.
Also don’t think I would want to be without the drop frame, the pass through was just not very big. I guess they consider these mid profile rigs. Large profile rigs are supposedly on the drawing board. I was impressed that the toy haulers were wearing gen-Y pin boxes right out of the factory though. I am getting the impression that they are at least trying to build them better and then trying to protect them better. I’d pay more for that.
When he said everything else there in the towables is junk, he lost me. He didn’t look at them all. There were some beautiful and well built units there, but you need money and big trucks to have one.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:36 PM   #24
Etrmcharry@yahoo.com

M.O.C. #33298
I have been trying to post my rig for sale. I can’t figure it out, can you help me?
Etrmcharry@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:36 PM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrmcharry@yahoo.com View Post
I have been trying to post my rig for sale. I can’t figure it out, can you help me?
Here is a link to the for sale forum. Open it and click on new thread.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...splay.php?f=93
Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 AM   #26
John_n_Genny

M.O.C. #19099
Quote:
I have to agree 100% with "My Bucket List Day". Many of the RV manufacturers are putting out crap and it's up to the consumers to put pressure on Keystone and others to build a better product. The DW and I had a chance to look at a Brinkley Z3100 and to say the least, I was very impressed. It was, without a doubt, one of the best built RV's I've ever seen. So we are still up-in-the-air about which RV to purchase. The Montana 3123CK Legacy, or Brinkley. We will probably make our decision in a month or two. Most likely we are going to go out and look at both again in the next week or so.
John_n_Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:56 AM   #27
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
A lot of these problems hear people complain about are not necessarily the RV brand but the components they use, mostly from Lippert which include furrion Thomas pane, solera, guird, alpha system and more. Lippert makes all of the slide out systems weather they be in frame, swintec and the cable systems are all made by lippert. Coleman and suburban and dometic make up the rest. Coleman air conditioners, suburban water heaters dometic and suburban furnaces. It is or almost is a monopoly on these parts.

No mater which rv brand you buy they all use these components. Is this an excuse for some of the problems absolutely not! I agree the rv industry needs to do a better job itself and demand better quality from these manufactures as well, not sure it will happen however. it is time for rv manufacturers to start to use other companies, competition is a good thing. Again not sure that will happen.

That being said as it was mentioned above, some problems are self inflicted and or people don't take time to learn and understand the systems in their camper.
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:08 AM   #28
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4me View Post
A lot of these problems hear people complain about are not necessarily the RV brand but the components they use, mostly from Lippert which include furrion Thomas pane, solera, guird, alpha system and more. Lippert makes all of the slide out systems weather they be in frame, swintec and the cable systems are all made by lippert. Coleman and suburban and dometic make up the rest. Coleman air conditioners, suburban water heaters dometic and suburban furnaces. It is or almost is a monopoly on these parts.

No mater which rv brand you buy they all use these components. Is this an excuse for some of the problems absolutely not! I agree the rv industry needs to do a better job itself and demand better quality from these manufactures as well, not sure it will happen however. it is time for rv manufacturers to start to use other companies, competition is a good thing. Again not sure that will happen.

That being said as it was mentioned above, some problems are self inflicted and or people don't take time to learn and understand the systems in their camper.
Agreed that the components manufactures are partly to blame but the fault ultimately falls directly onto the RV manufacture for choosing to use crappy cheap components. But the real problem is the lack of quality control in the RV industry. They discovered that we would still buy Covid built crap which increased their profit margin so why change? MHO.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:13 PM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Agreed that the components manufactures are partly to blame but the fault ultimately falls directly onto the RV manufacture for choosing to use crappy cheap components. But the real problem is the lack of quality control in the RV industry. They discovered that we would still buy Covid built crap which increased their profit margin so why change? MHO.
Our 2015 is before Covid.. lots of issues...So covid is not to blame.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:33 PM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Our 2015 is before Covid.. lots of issues...So covid is not to blame.
I agree. Been active on here since 2006. Seemed more and more problems slowly began being reported in the early 2010’s and onward as they started adding more bells and whistles including more electronics. Not saying workmanship and quality control maybe didn’t start declining also.

Tags
customer, elkart, industry, service, warranty