Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Help needed--axle support tearing loose

We are now traveling up here in central British Columbia. When we stopped at a campground this afternoon, Jo noticed a crack in the kitchen cabinet near the floor on the side facing the fireplace. I went to look under the rig and found significant damage to frame rail that holds the bracket that sits between the tires and connects to the shackles attached to the springs (pardon my inartful description--I don't really know what that bracket is called--can anyone tell me its name?). The bracket is welded to the frame rail between the tires and normally points vertically down toward the ground. As the attached photos should show, the bracket on the driver's side of the rig is now twisted inward about 30-40 degrees, pointing towards the curb side of the Big Sky. The metal of the frame rail is torn at one point where the bracket was attached. Although the photos may not show it clearly, the frame rail is buckled outward in the same area. The piece (the dogbone??) that passes thru this bracket and connects the two sets of shackles has also been deformed.

I'm now out in the boonies in British Columbia. The nearest town of any size is Prince George, which is about 220 miles east of here. My plan is to drive to PG tomorrow (Sunday) so that I am in a position Monday morning to call Lippert about warranty coverage and to try to track down someone in Prince George who may be able to fix this problem.

Questions--does anyone see anything that I can do before heading to Prince George to make sure the problem doesn't get worse on the drive to PG? Is this the kind of thing that is normally covered by the Lippert frame warranty (our rig is about 16 months old)? If it is the type of damage that should be covered by Lippert, any suggestions on how to deal with Lippert to maximize the likelihood that they will cover the damage? Any suggestions as to what type of repairs I should insist on to make sure this problem is properly fixed?

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post--seeing the damage to the frame has got me jumping.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I am not sure I would pull with it in this condition, hope someone comes along that can give you an expert recommendation. Sorry for the troubles, the roads up there must be rough. Good luck with this.

After looking at this crack again (third time) it dawned on me that there is rust in the frame crack, this is not a new frame crack, you have had a problem here for quite some time and the stress finally overcame the tensile strength of the frame member.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
David,

Sorry you are experiencing trouble. What is twisted is the Mor/Ryde equalizer. It is obviously twisted. I think you will need a welder to do the repair work. He may be able to salvage the parts and reweld them into place. I think I would contact Mor/Ride and get their help in assessing the damage and the fix. Your pictures should help them help you. Perhaps they will pop for the damage repair.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and JoAnna,

It looks to me as if the frame itself has split or broken. And I agree with Stiles... It looks as if the Mor Ryde thing has certainly twisted. Man those Alaska roads are certainly rough on the rigs. Maybe that is why Keystone prohibits travel in Alaska. Just kidding. Don't want to start that again.

Supposedly there is a two year warranty on the frame from Lippert. I don't know how that would all play with the Mor Ryde but would guess they will help fix the problem.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm in agreement with calling Lippert and asking their advice before moving it to far. If you do decide on the run to PG, take it as slow as you can, stop frequently to assess the damage is not getting worse, and be very careful. Good luck.

Icehouse and Tammy,
If you want to see me, start heading South. I'm sure not coming to Alaska.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Boy, just from the looks of that I think I would sit down and pray you made it that far, then start talking about a mobile repair or even a wrecker. If you loose what is left of that connection, it will roll.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
David,

As Brad said, I think I would be looking at a flat bed wrecker to move this thing to a repair center. If you are with Good Sam or Camping World Roadside assistance they will provide transportation to the closest repair center. I would think that would need to be a repair center capable of making the repair. If you decide to tow it, I would definitely ceck it often. If the damage increases you may find the coach sitting against the wheels which will require a wrecker to move.

Anyway, Sorry to hear about the problem. I hope you can get this rectified in short order and get on with enjoying your adventure.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Be very careful with that guys..A call to lippert is a very good idea. This is further verification to me that these units, any manufacturer, are not designed for the kind of use that some of use put them to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
David sorry to see that problem. I also think you will probably have to have it put on a lowboy and taken to a good frame shop. I'm no frame expert and pictures can give a false impression at times. However I think you have major frame damage, looks as if the frame has twisted and it will take a excellent frame repair shop and a good welder. I know you don't want that but I would be very careful if you decide to pull it to a repair shop, and at a very slow speen. Good Luck, I'm sure Lippert will give you good info. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David, So sorry to see you have broken your home. I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but, I think I would heed the advice of those above and call Lippert and MorRyde first thing in the morning and not move it without them saying so. It looks like you have extensive damage and any further damage may be catastrophic. Again, I am not an expert, but that would be my advice. MorRyde number and contact: Gary Wheeler, 866-990-7433 or 574-293-1581. E-Mail: gary.wheeler@morryde.com . Sorry I don't have a number for Lippert. Maybe in the MOC master links......Good luck in whatever you decide!!!!

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Told Al about this problem David,

he had a look,

he says:

FLAT BED IT!

he would not drive it either.

Good luck, glad you are safe and off the road. Let us know, eh???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
David,
I don't believe this is a Morryde issue as the problem is up in the frame. I'm with the others, DON'T move it. We wish you luck and keep us posted.

I took another look at your pictures and it looks as though you have a bolt going through the spring and shackle about to fail, please don't drive it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
That looks like an accident just looking for a place to happen. Looks to me like that frame has been cracked for a while from the rust on the broken metal.

I can't believe they tried to beef that flimsy I beam up with a piece of 3/4" sq. tubing. We don't have that type suspension on the Mountaineer, but it looks identical except for that. Glad we don't move around a lot.

I would definitely put that in the hands of my road service insurance. Let them make the decision how to move it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

Something tells me this may not be a new problem.

Note your photo below - there is a 1/2" (or maybe 3/4") square tube steel piece welded horizontally along the frame lip above the Mor-Ryde shackle. Your frame twisted and tore above that welded piece.

Here is a picture of a 2009 3400RL, with the same floor plan as your 340RLWQ. This picture is taken in the exact same spot, however the frame now has 2 vertical supports welded the full height of the frame. I assumed this was to support the hole in the frame made by the slide, but maybe it is more a problem with frame torgue from that huge pile of oversized Mor-Ryde shackle welded to the bottom.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
David

How is the other side, I would like some pic's of the other side if you can?

Thanks to Brad, he had some great pic's of the 09's and here are some pic's of the way I think it should be done.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20280271

I see Brad beat me to it!! I'M SLOW IN MY OLD AGE!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - thats kind of cool we were thinking the same thing Larry! Sad part is the picture is not my rig, mine is like Davids.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The angle iron is better, but looks to me like the frame needs to be boxed in that area. Wonder if the back side of the beam has angle welded to it too? JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Be very careful with that guys..A call to lippert is a very good idea. This is further verification to me that these units, any manufacturer, are not designed for the kind of use that some of use put them to. I have become paranoid about all that stuff under there and check it every day we are on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #19
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Not trying to start trouble but I would say that the frame is NOT heavy enough for the camper. The idea of the two angle irons helps but boxing it in that area is the best. Wonder what foreign country was that beam made in. We have closed most of our steel plants to buy cheaper steel and this is what we get. That beam looks just to light for what they are using it for. Look at the frames on some of the higher dollar campers.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I'm with Rich on that, I check the suspension every morning before a pull then whenever we stop for a break, have become totaly paranoid over frame and tires. At times I wish we had done something elese besides a 5th wheel.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote