Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #21
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Interesting, and the plot thickens.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Like I said, they'll just try to cover their a$$. It's not too often I'm defending Keystone, but I just can't see them placing stickers on wheels. Then maybe I am wrong. Please keep the pressure on!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys from what I have been through lately lonnie is right on!!!. NOBODY but china Makes a ST/235/80R16E 10 Ply tire. Out of pure frustation I traded my milestars for 5 new dynatrails they look like a better tire but still china made. jmo. time will tell. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Okay, here is the email I received from Tredit:
===========
Good Morning Wayne,
I got some answers on the concern you had with that sticker on your wheel.
What happened is that Keystone wanted that 3042lbs wheel re qualified to
meet the 3750lbs standards so in the event of that happening, those specific
wheels had to be stickered to be identified. They had to be stickered
because of the sense of urgency by Keystone until new wheels were
manufactured and stamped 370 lbs. (wm - I think she means 3750)
We appreciate your concern and bringing this forward to us. Please let me
reassure you that the tires and wheels you have on your unit are correct and
are rated for your unit. The tires (you had) and wheels are matched up per
the specs on your unit.
Thank you again,
Kelly Weidner
Warranty Manager
Tredit Tire and Wheel Co., Inc.
PH: 866-443-9907
FAX: 574-294-3239
kweidner@tredittire.com
====================

Go figure!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job, Wayne. Are these rims rated for high pressure tires, or just the 80# ones.???
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Good job, Wayne. Are these rims rated for high pressure tires, or just the 80# ones.???
This is the letter that Tredit Tire sent me after I sent them a picture of my rims. In Wayne's Org. post he states they look the same as his.
Jack

The rim that you have on your unit is our TR6 style Keystone propriety wheel. This rim only has a 80PSI rating. I would not suggest you upgrade to a load range G. That tire requires a 110 PSI. Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

Thank you,
Missy Rogers
Inside Sales Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
57941 Charlotte Ave.
Elkhart, IN 46517
574/293-0581 ext. 110
574/294-3239 (fax)
mrogers@tredittire.com
Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #27
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn Jack, I have exactly that stamp "TR-6."
Wonder how they are going to reply to my next question.

Ozz! The answer is Yes and No. But sometimes maybe.

Edited:
I just cut and posted Missy Rogers' reply to you Jack, and sent it to Kellie. Maybe now they will start talking to each other again!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Wayne,I am so frustrated it's ridiculous. I don't think any of these manufacture Reps. know what their talking about. I would think that this would be a pretty important subject,knowing that this is being discussed on an open forum. With every inquiry we get a different answer.
Has anyone informed them that the MOC is discussing this topic and maybe give them our URL?
I forgot myself,I should have mention it.
Jack
Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just got a response from Tredit regarding the wheel stickers using Jacks contact and Waynes photos -

Tredit confirmed in the email the TR6 wheels were re-tested for Keystone and certified for a 3,750 payload @ 110 psi rating.

Brad,
Yes we had the wheel re-tested at 3750# @ 110 PSI. That wheel will accommodate the Goodyear G614 tire. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Using some assumptions - the TR6 wheel is a proprietary wheel for the Montana line by Kestone and was originally certified for the intended 3,042 @ 80 psi tire on the 6,000 lb axles (pre-12/2006). when Keystone went to 7,000 lb axles, they needed wheels that would handle the additional axle rating to obtain the additional GVWR. Keystone asked Tredit to recertify the wheel to a higher rating, which happened to be 3,750 lb @ 110 psi and provide stickers for those wheels already in Keystone stock. This gave Keystone the option of going to G rated tires if necessary. At the very least, the wheels combined with the ST Mission tires would meet the 7,000 lb axle rating on the new production (post 12/2006) heavier Montana units.

As it turns out, Goodyear introduced the heavier rated size in Marathon tires (3,420 lb @ 80 psi) at less than half the cost of the G614 tire. Keystone slightly de-rated the 7,000 lb axles to 6,800 lbs and introduced the new Anniversary Edition Montana with Marathon tires to replace the now defunct Mission tires.

Anyway - the story sounds good to me, as I exerienced similar through another wheel company on my last Monty using a proprietary wheel for another RV company. The Email from Tredit is as good as a casting stamp as far as I'm concerned, and I won't hesitate to go with the G tires.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Brad,
Good information. I never did get a reply to my last question from Tredit regarding 110 Vs. 80 PSI ratings.
Maybe they are tired of hearing the same question over, and over again.

The G614's are going to be a stiff ride.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne,

Missy must just be getting caught up on the little sticker story that unfolded when the question was asked. Now that she knows I believe everybody will get a consistent answer.

Not sure how a stiff ride is a concern for an unoccupied trailer. I had G-s on my 2955RL and never noticed any difference from the cab of my Ford .

I believe the "stiff-ride" statement is an urban legend in the making. Some of the competitors have already gone to G-tires, with Keystone holding back because of "cost", not "ride" as previously stated by one of the Reps. How many of you noticed the dishes rattling more in your 80psi tires and wheels of your 2005 or newer Monty versus the prior 65psi tires and wheels Keystone used. I sure didn't. The fella in OntMont's thread discusses avoiding G tires on "lighter traiers". At 8-tons (nearly 3X the weight of my towmotor), I hardly consider my Monty Lightweight.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Brad,
I'm just thinking out loud that the 14 ply G tires are a little stiffer and 110 psi slightly higher than 80 psi. SO my thoughts are that the trailer will see a stiffer ride and possibly bounce things around. I also think that some of that will be transferred to the TV. Just my thoughts, but I'm not going to dwell over it much.

However, if the roads and by-ways were maintained the way they should be we would not have to worry about bouncing around.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne, I think the Mor-Ryde overcomes most all of the harshness on the ride transmitted to the springs. But you are right, nothing cures a frost heave on the highway that sends everything inside airborne!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Guys,
I've had to replace all 4 of the tires on my monty this month. 2009 3605RL with Marathon tires. All four were wearing badly both inside and outside edges, often indicating underinflation. My local Discount Dealer was able to adjust them and provide all 4 @ $79/each. The problem is that I'm religious about tire pressure and weight. I've always maintained the max 80psi on all 4 and still they wore. I've put about 10000 miles on this rig since May, with a sweep through the entire East coast. I went the extra mile and checked with a reliable frame and alignment shop and they told me that the wheels were set at 1/16" toe-in and he couldn't do any better than that.
I have checked the weight of the rig and am about 500# below max weight on the trailer axles combined. Is there something that I'm missing in this scenario?
My first rig was a SOB, with Goodyear Unisteel tires, and after 5 years and many miles, the tires didn't seem to show any wear.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #35
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I would like to jump in on this thread with a pertinent question. I have a 2007 3400RL that we took delivery on in August of 2006. We probably have less than 1000 miles on the rig. We are about to start using it more. I know at some point that I should replace the tires due to age, not just wear. The tires have been covered when not rolling. Any advice from a MOC'er that has been in the same situation as far as when to replace the tires and with what brand(s) would be greatly appreciated. My single biggest fear when pulling the rig is having a blowout, and yes, I am looking in to the Pressure Pro system. Thanks for any advice.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #36
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
LonnieB or Glen will be along or may PM you w/expert advice. Or you can search the archives for prvious discussions on this topic. Good luck!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #37
Donny

M.O.C. #7878
I have a 2008 Montana that my wife and I ordered. We took delivery on it on june 29th 2007. On the mission tire wear I found out my axles were mis aligned. The tires on one side were around 2" further apart than the other side. It took 2 tries for Keystone to get the right hanger adapters to get the axles ligned up properly. The replaced 2 of the original tires due to wear. Then i had another tire go bad and it was replaced. However I definetly will not use mission tires when I pay for replacements. At one point before the correct hangers were used my 5th wheel was pulling to the right about 2ft from front to rear.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #38
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We stopped at Las Cruces, NM on our way to Apache Junction for the winter and as we were setting up discovered a cap partially split on one of my missions. Quick trip to the tire store and found another in the same condition, so replaced all four to them! Glad they are gone and with no major accidents or problems. New rubber makes one feel better on the road. Therefore, we can keep on camping!!!!!!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #39
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Talk to TireCo, they may still have been under warranty. Need the old tires though. We are in Apache Junction, AZ
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #40
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I think Michelin is coming out with the solution to our air pressure problem. Local Dodge dealer' General Manager showed me a video yesterday and it can be found on YouTube; a link to some written work on this tire is http://hight3ch.com/post/airless-tire-from-michelin/ ... it is called the 'Tweel' as best I can determine and there is a tire, a wheel, and tire/wheel combination in testing at present (or so it appears from my very limited reading so far on this topic).

Regardless, wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about air pressure any more..... one video says these have the same mass, weight and circumference as our standard tires but with additional cushioning, etc.. Guess time will tell if they ever hit the market.

I did a google search for 'airless tires from michelin' and found 7 difference short videos as well as several pages of hits on the topic (for anyone interested.)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote