Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #241
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
how do you insert 10" pvc into those ducts? Most pvc i'm use to isn't that flexable.

knapper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #242
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
EMS??[/QUOTE]

Electronis Management System
Surge protector that also checks for all kinds of miss wiring and low or high voltage and shuts you off so nothing is damaged. I use Progressive Industries ones due to their quality and customer service. Had a 50amp for 7 years of full timing. It finally failed and they sent me a brand new one and paid the shipping.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #243
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Installing the 10'' piece in the return was no problem. I stuck the piece in length wise of the register then turned it toward the center of the room then pushed it in till it was flush with the vent hole. I just wonder how long a piece i need for the air ducts. i assume i can use the same size diameter but don't no the length without experimenting.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #244
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post
how do you insert 10" pvc into those ducts? Most pvc i'm use to isn't that flexable.
Take out the frame of the return and put the 9" piece in the opening long ways, open the duct with the other hand and twist it into place.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #245
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Did you use pvc in your a/c ducts. I'm not talking about the return air as i have already done that. If you did use pvc then how long a piece and diameter. Thanks
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #246
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The AC ducts weren't much if a problem as they run through and under the top of the joist that takes the pressure off of them somewhat. Some though have put couplers for PVC pipe inside the opening of the ducts, but I think the most important part of the AC flow is to make sure that the vent itself doesn't stick too far up into the duct and prevent an adequate air flow. The collar on the vent that sticks up into the duct should only be about a half inch tall. Any of them that are over an inch or more cause problems with the flow out of the vent.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #247
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Has there ever been any HVAC pros do a load calculation on a Montana?
Years ago I worked for a HVAC contractor and we never sold or installed a unit without that info.
I did the pvc modification in the returns and took the supply vent covers off!
Complete difference in air flow, made a huge improvement.
But best thing I’ve done this summer is go North 58 degrees this morning in Baileys Harbor Wisconsin 👍
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #248
Rigit

M.O.C. #22816
Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents worth in here too. I have 1 whisper quiet 15000 unit in the main part of my fifth wheel and a 13500 in the bedroom that has the "burst" mode that can be opened and directed into the bedroom and not into the ducted system. I have had the main ac unit go out and tried to cool the whole trailer with the one smaller unit in the bedroom. It would not keep up with the 100 degree temps in Louisiana at all. Not even in the shade. I have also forgotten to turn on the smaller bedroom ac unit, and even though the larger main ac unit would keep the trailer habitable, it was still around 80 degrees inside with lower 90's outside. Not very comfortable. Turned the second ac on and it cooled the trailer down very rapidly with it connected to the ducted system. I agree it takes two ac units going.

I also noticed you talked about running the ac units off a 30 amp generator. It depends on the generator. I have one that only has a 30 amp plug on it but will output 120/240 volts out of that plug pushing about 60 amps on 120V and I think 30 amps at 240V. It is a 8000 watt continuous and 10000 watt surge. I can run both of my ac units and use anything in the trailer I want without an issue. Including the microwave, tv's, and coffee maker. It is all about amps. That thing is heavy though. It is like 260 lbs. I have a small utility trailer I put it on along with all the gas I will need, hook it to the fifth wheel then head out to our primitive camping area we setup during racing at Texas Motor Speedway. For all other times we only go to areas that have 50 amp power supply. If not we will look for a different area. We do like to go camping in Oklahoma in the Beavers Bend area and it is difficult to find an area that has 50 amp power. It sometimes causes us to camp away from where we want but to have a comfortable home on wheels to come back to after hiking some of the long trails in the area it is worth it.
Rigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #249
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
Well I just bought a brand new 2019 331 and have the same issues as everyone else. Gee you would think they would have figured this out by now!! I took off the return grill and could barley slide my fingers in between the 2 foam pieces. I plan to do all the mods I have read about. I also have the residential fridge and that puts out a lot of heat with no where to go but the main living area. I do not know what to do with that yet.
331MONTHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #250
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 331MONTHC View Post
Well I just bought a brand new 2019 331 and have the same issues as everyone else. Gee you would think they would have figured this out by now!! I took off the return grill and could barley slide my fingers in between the 2 foam pieces. I plan to do all the mods I have read about. I also have the residential fridge and that puts out a lot of heat with no where to go but the main living area. I do not know what to do with that yet.
Does yours have the flat ceilings inside?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #251
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
Yes I believe so but now I think its curved. Can't remember
Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #252
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Does yours have the flat ceilings inside?
Yes it has flat ceilings.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #253
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
While you may have the infamous duct blockage problem, if you were led to believe you can run both ACs on 30a, someone fed you a line of bull. The best you can do on 30a is one at a time, whichever makes you most comfortable. I'm in FL and only one AC doesn't cut it, so we generally don't reserve a 30a site in high temps and/or humidity.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #254
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Ac improvements

I know this is a Montana forum . I have a 2017 Alpine. Since it's a keystone product I thought I'd chime in. I added additional AC vents and in which I changed out to a different style which are more free flowing and also added an additional return air to each AC unit. Those modifications increase the cooling inside the RV making it much more comfortable in hot weather.
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #255
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kench View Post
Wow Lots of upset ( in Canada we call it PO,D ) owners out there me included. I would suggest a couple of thousand maybe 5000-6000 of us owners take a little tour to Head Office, with our RV s of course if they are still able to be towed and advise every news agency we could contact to let them know why. Even taking our RV s for a caravan to local dealers should generate some local and international news. My issues are frustrating but not as disgusting as some I have seen on this website ( which is amazing by the way, the website that is)
Hopefully it will prevent other suckers falling for the
" Do the job right and make sure we deliver a quality product each and every time" which is a direct quote from Montana literature dated January 2016 probably a Canadian version. sales pitch. I am 500 miles ( live just north of Toronto Ontario) from their head office but would gladly take a few days and tour down and let them know that their current and future customers will not be taken advantage of any more. Anyone can contact me to arrange such a trip and publicize it as much as we can before hand. As said many times "money talks" and if we slow down their source of money... Well who knows.
I just read this post I no who your talking about being from Orillia. I just bought a 19 high country. Little thing so far but my last unit was in the shop more than I had it.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote