Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Fire Extinguishers

Well finally got around to installing 3 Halon extinguishers in the frig. compartment, generator bay and battery box. These are self deploying at 165 degrees. I done this after I had a gasoline hose split on the Onan and dump about 2 gals. out on the ground. Thanks to the DW who stuck here head outside and noticed it.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Do you have pictures?

Where did you get the extinguishers?

What price range are they in?

Thanks. I'm considering installing them also.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
http://firefight1.com/applications.php?bl=30#qvc

I went with the SS-30. 1 lb.

If you order PM me and I will give you my name. It MAY get you a break.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I'm interested in pics too. I've been in 2 (yes, 2) vehicle fires.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
As a Fulltime Career Firefighter for over 30 years, I would like to share a little information with you all on this subject.

For anyone looking into getting this type of extinguisher. Do Not use them inside the living area of the camper. Halon can be VERY TOXIC if it is used in a confined area. Halon is a gas and if breathed it can affect the Cardiovascular system of the body. It is an excellent firefighting agent but DO NOT breath it.

If you need an extingusher inside of the living area PLEASE use an ABC type fire extinguisher. They can be purchased at any reliable Fire Extinguisher Dealer. Also be sure that the head (Valve on top) is made of metal and not the cheap plastic ones. The plastic ones are not very reliable and the quality is not that good. Spend the few extra dollars and get the ones with the METAL HEADS! They will work first time/everytime and they are refillable. The plastic ones are not refillable no matter what they say on the box or label! Most of the ones for sale at Wal-Mart, K-Mart and hardware/home improvement stores are the cheap plastic ones. Look in the phone book for a Fire Extinguisher Dealer in your area!

I would recommend purchasing a 5 lb., type ABC for inside and even outside the camper. I do not recommend the Halon types at all for camper use.

Also, the extinguisher that come with the campers are JUNK! Replace them with a good ABC extinguisher I have been discribing here. Don't throw the old one out though....Use it to train yourself and your wife on how to use it. Actually fire it off outside some clear of everything so everyone knows what to expect if they have to use it. Just because you think you know how to use one or have had training in how to use one doesn't mean that everyone in your family has gotten the training. What if there was a fire and you were not home at the time and they were! If you are not sure what to do or how to use one then contact your local Fire Department and request some training on them. Might be a good subject to cover at your next camping group meeting!!

One more note, be sure to follow the manufactures recommendation on how often the extinguishers should be serviced by a qualified technition. They should not be just hung on the wall and forgotten about!

Hope this is helpful to you all. I only want to be sure that everyone is safe and has an enjoyable time using their beautiful Montana's.

Sorry if I got a little long winded here.....I am just very passionate about this and I guess it is the Fireman inside of me! If you have any questions let me know!

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Good advice for sure. Mine are all in sealed compartments.

As for photos. I don't do photos because I never tried to learn. PM me and I will drop you a photo.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Thanks for this information.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Funny story; A guy that I worked with was changing out a compressor in a Liebert computer room A/C system, he accidentally overheated a sensor, the entire floor of the computer room was flooded with Halon, strobe lights went off, everyone evacuated, fire department came... Funny because it wasn't me, If I would have got the call it would have been me..
I installed one of those Halon systems in the engine room of my 32' carver cruiser.
Like Scott said, OK for un-occupied compartments, and I think you did a smart thing.
You can probably get pricing from West Marine, that is where I got mine. (years ago)
I have a small grease type in the kitchen, two different types by the door, one in the basement.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I was under the impression that halon could no longer be sold. I know that Macthefireguy has two different sizes that he says are halon. He also has several choices of foam extinguishers for compartments and that would be my choice. The ss50 foam was $225 last fall. I believe Mac will be at the fall rally but if you can't make it try macthefireguy.com NO I don't work for him nor do I endorse his products and I haven't even bought any yet but I intend to this fall

I have done a bit of research now and learned that halon can no longer be manufactured after 1994 but existing stock can be used and sold. I would encourage you to do your own research but this is a link to what I read: http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm. They say it is clean and safe but draw your own conclusions.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I have a small Halon extinguisher in my truck. Nice if you have a gas fire! Yes, don't breath! I use ABC in Kitchen & home use.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I understand that a 1 lb. Halon unit is good for 65 cu ft.
Here are some photos (I hope). THANKS to H John Kohl.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Scott
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
CmdrDewey - You are right...Halon can not be sold to the general public anymore. It has been banned by the EPA because it destroys the Ozone Layer. I would not recommend Halon to anyone for ANY use in their camper, home or vehicle. NOT good stuff to have around at all. It is still available in the commercial settings though for businesses.

The BEST type of extinguisher to have around anywhere in the camper, house or your vehicle is the ABC type. It will work on any type of fire you might have. It is called a Multi-Purpose type fire extinguisher.

Hope everyone is having a Great Summer!
Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
I installed three of the auto-activating extinguishers (SS-30s I think); in the external fridge compartment, in the front storage area (above the controller) and in behind the wall of the main storage compartment where all the electrics are located (including my Powermaster auto-former)
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote