Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Montana_75

M.O.C. #75
difference between challenger and montana

Can someone tell me the difference between a keystone montana and keystone challenger? I can tell you the difference between price tags is about 25 grand.

Montana_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Sorta like a Chevy vs. a Cadillac maybe? look at the specs of both. Is the area under the bedroom covered? Is the belly covered? Is the attic vented? Real wood cabinet doors or photo wood? Does it have a little fiberglass fuzz in the walls, or stryofoam. There are lots of more expensive units out there than the Montana, but it's the most bang you can get for the buck. We have the 2003 Montana 3670RL. Lots of floor space, and an open floor plan. I bought used instead of new. You can get a better quality unit, and spend less than what you would on a new cheaper built unit. I am pretty handy,so a few fix-it projects are no problem for me. I bought this one that was used only 6 months for less than half of a new one. I am one happy camper! Buy the best you can afford, and you won't be sorry. Montanas are right up there with the best in my opinion.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Oh, forgot to tell you..check PPL in Houston, Texas. It is a consignment lot, and I was there yesterday. They had lots of used units that you can compare and check prices on.
www.pplmotorhomes.com
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
The Challenger is a very comparable unit to the Everest according to Dale Brubaker (mimf2) who used to work for Lippert and has a Challenger. They are built at the same factory as the Everest. Probably something like the Montana and the Mountaineer. They share similar floorplans too, as I understand it. Maybe he'll happen along and explain it more thoroughly.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Very good, Dennis! How did you remember that?

Everybody, he is correct. The Everest and Challenger are built in the same complex. I hope Keystone continues that trend.

Our Challenger 35RLQ is the same floor plan as the Montana 3400RL. If you compare specs, they are almost the same. The only difference is that the entertainment center/computer desk and sofa are swapped to opposite sides of the floor. As far as I am concerned, the only thing our Challenger doesn't have compared to the Montana and Everest is "eye candy". If Challenger offered some of the options that are in those units, such as central vac, fire place, etc, I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Another thing that Everest and Challenger share is the radius lower corners on the upper deck compared to Montana and the other products. My opinion is that it gives the unit a "clean or sleak look". However, that would not stop me from buying a Montana by any means! If you pull up the picture of our rig and look above the bed rail of the truck, back under the bed slide and down around the front corner toward the landing gear legs, you may be able to partially see what I am talking about. The short, sharp corner isn't there.

Also, between the Mountaineer and Challenger, in my opinion, they are so close to being the same as far as the quality in counter tops and furniture that there is not much difference between the two. The Challenger may still be slightly cheaper in sticker price.

So, if you find the floor plan, colors and options in a Challenger you would be happy with, BUY IT! The frame and sub structure, I can almost guarantee, will be the same as a Montana and Everest. The only thing that may be lacking perhaps is the "R" factor in the insulation. All I know is that she keeps Gail and I very comfy in cool, wet weather. If I found an Everest with this floor plan at a respectable price, would I buy it? ABSOLUTELY!!

So there! You touched something close to my heart, emspilot and if you were to show up at a rally or any other cg filed with Montanas pulling an Everest or Challenger, I don't think you would be cast away. Just remember this, no matter what you buy, you can park it next to our humble rig any time.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We bought a 2006 Mountaineer in May last year We bought it solely for the floor plan. Just hated the broken up bathroom in all the Montana's. Ours is one private bath and we love everything about the Mountaineer. Ours suits us just fine-if we could have located a Challenger with the floor plan that we liked we would be owning one of those.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Sorry for the triple post-I got the dreaded time out message.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thats OK Sandy, I thought there was an echo in the room.
I agree with Dale. I think we spend way too much time worrying about the brand name vs what we like when we see it. And if the money is right.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
slewis, I am familiar with the floor plan you are talking about. We looked at that floor plan in the Mountaineer too, when we were in the market in early 2005. But, when Gail seen the floor plan of this Challenger, especially the kitchen area, 20 minutes later it was ours and all other considerations got tossed right out the window!

Now, I have noticed that floor plan is incorporated into Challenger, Montana and Everest. When we get in the market again, that floor plan will be something we look at taking price into consideration from all three brands.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, you're missing a right bracket following the first IMG in your signature.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Steve, e-mail me about that.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I was at a RV show last weekend, and the best looking rigs "to me" were the Teton, Challenger and Montana! No Kidding. It was a small show, but the other ones were just not as nice. I know the Teton is not comparable to a Keystone product but they were all very nice. By the way, I don't really care for that new dark bronze/black trim on the Montanas...maybe it will have to grow on me
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
when we bought our first Montana we were green and never owned a RV we looked and looked and wanted a Teton but toooo much $$ and weight. we were going to buy a mobile travler and we loooked one more time and saw the 3685 and fell in love with the front LR and the fact the quality we thought was as good as the teton and after years of living in one we will have no other Lee loves her montana and we looked at others prior to buyng out new 3400.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #14
Montana_75

M.O.C. #75
Thanks to everyone for responding. I had a Montana 3575 and was in an accident (not my fault) and Im looking for either another Montana or the Challenger 29TRL. Just not sure if I want to justify the extra 25 grand for the Montana. Again thanks to all that responded.[img][/img]
Montana_75 is offline   Reply With Quote