Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Key TV

How do you turn off the antenna booster? Cable at our current location does not work with the antenna booster on and I cannot find a power button. Thanks

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
I have a 2007 5th wheel. Behind the tv which is to the left as you go up the stairs I have 2 TV outlets. On the one on the left there is a coax cable about 4 inches long looped between the two coax connections. I took the short looped cable off. Then one of the jacks was for Satellite or Cable and the other was for the Antenna. That got that location where the booster was not inline with the the cable tv jack and the cable tv worked. The booster still works on the Antenna side of that outlet and it still works on the tv in the bedroom.
Now the outlet to the right has a single coax connection. I don't know what it is for but I hope it will send the cable tv signal to the bedroom tv. I need to try it. I was about to run new satellite cable until I was told about how the looped cable worked. I want to know what the single outlet is for anyway.
I know this was long but I hope it helps because it sure did me!
russgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
How do you turn off the antenna booster? Cable at our current location does not work with the antenna booster on and I cannot find a power button. Thanks
Knowing the year and model of your rig would help.
I believe that the newer units with Key systems automatically sense the cable and disconnect the power antenna. That said, yours might be miswired. Has it ever worked with cable?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Do you have KeyTV? If so I'm not aware of a booster. You just power the main unit in the convenience center (diplexer I believe).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Knowing the year and model of your rig would help.
I believe that the newer units with Key systems automatically sense the cable and disconnect the power antenna. That said, yours might be miswired. Has it ever worked with cable?
Sorry, it’s a 2019 373rd and yes it has worked fine previously. It’s a bit more fuzzy this time, maybe it’s just a bad connection.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by russgarrett View Post
I have a 2007 5th wheel. Behind the tv which is to the left as you go up the stairs I have 2 TV outlets. On the one on the left there is a coax cable about 4 inches long looped between the two coax connections. I took the short looped cable off. Then one of the jacks was for Satellite or Cable and the other was for the Antenna. That got that location where the booster was not inline with the the cable tv jack and the cable tv worked. The booster still works on the Antenna side of that outlet and it still works on the tv in the bedroom.
Now the outlet to the right has a single coax connection. I don't know what it is for but I hope it will send the cable tv signal to the bedroom tv. I need to try it. I was about to run new satellite cable until I was told about how the looped cable worked. I want to know what the single outlet is for anyway.
I know this was long but I hope it helps because it sure did me!
Here is some additional help. This is the wiring diagram for TV/Cable/Satellite for pre-2010 Montanas. It should help answer what all the connectors are for in the cabinet behind the TV. And yes, one of them (the jumper pair as I recall but it has been a while) routes the cable signal to the bedroom TV.

Attachment 8131
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana TV Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	8132  

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
Not sure who replied to my email I just received notification. It's a Montana 2007 307RKD 5th wheel 2 slides opposite door side. There is only 1 outside coax connection in the back. Yes it works . I Removed the looped cable from the outlet behind the tv and 1 jack is connected to the Dish Hopper and the other jack goes to the back of the tv fir air reception. The booster is in the back and I only get OTA signal. The booster does power a good signal for both TVs for OTA. I don't know what the other outlet with a single jack is for and I cannot get a satellite signal to the bedroom tv with the booster off.
I would like to know what the outlet with the single jack is for and is it possible to get a satellite signal to the bedroom with the booster off?

Thanks to whoever responded or can help
Old 12-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
Awesome ! Let me read and study that diagram.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
That was a fast response especially with a diagram ready. Do you have mental telepathy and were sitting there waiting on my email??? LOL

I will ask this. Is it possible to watch the Satellite from 1 receiver at one time on both TVs as long as the booster is off?

Did you or would you replace the factory cable hardware connectors as many have said they had to do?
Old 12-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #10
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
If you have Key TV....there is NO booster. Cable and local air channels all program off the same box with no booster required. Use menu and program your tv's to air or cable as needed.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by russgarrett View Post
That was a fast response especially with a diagram ready. Do you have mental telepathy and were sitting there waiting on my email??? LOL

I will ask this. Is it possible to watch the Satellite from 1 receiver at one time on both TVs as long as the booster is off?

Did you or would you replace the factory cable hardware connectors as many have said they had to do?
I don't know if you are asking me or not. But here are my two bits.

That TV wiring diagram has been around for a long time. I thought there was a better image in the Files section but I couldn't find it. I had this one saved on my PC so I used it. There is another diagram for the 2010 Montanas and up but it doesn't include the advent of Key TV

I have DirecTV so my setup was likely different from your Dish setup. In my 2005, I used the standard cabling to get OTA/Cable/Sat to the LR TV. If your Dish receiver outputs its signal on a RF cable, then you could split it and send it to different TVs using the existing cable. I wanted the two TVs to operate independently. Consequently I ran another coax to the bedroom TV just for satellite input. When I upgraded to HD, then I need HDMI to each TV so splitting a coax wasn't an option any longer.

The factory cables and connectors worked fine for my in my 2005 and now my 2012. But maybe things were built better back then?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
I do not have Key TV. The booster is in the back and I push a button and the light turns off or on. It's a 2007
Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
Your 2 cents just went to 2 Dollars. We are on the same page so far. I was able to enlarge the picture you sent and read the instruction on the Loop. That helped big time and that's what I have. The diagram does not show the Outlet with one connector to the right of the looped connector but I will work with that later. At least I now understand the looped connector and wiring.

Thanks so much !!
Old 01-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #14
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Sorry, it’s a 2019 373rd and yes it has worked fine previously. It’s a bit more fuzzy this time, maybe it’s just a bad connection.
I had a similar problem and called the cable company who found a bad buried cable.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #15
greenportbeach
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25701
Quote:
2018 to 2020 Montana's have the KeyTV system where in order to watch OTA TV channels you have to disconnect the cable and then run the search on your TV for "air" channels. When you want to go back to cable, you plug your cable back in and then search on your TV for "cable" channels. There is no booster button for your year rig.
greenportbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenportbeach View Post
2018 to 2020 Montana's have the KeyTV system where in order to watch OTA TV channels you have to disconnect the cable and then run the search on your TV for "air" channels. When you want to go back to cable, you plug your cable back in and then search on your TV for "cable" channels. There is no booster button for your year rig.
I have a 2018 MHC 358BH and I do not have to disconnect anything. It is all controlled by my tv menu selections, then run a scan for channels. If you have to disconnect your cable, you have other issues. You should not have to disconnect your cable to get your tv to operate correctly.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
Hortense
Established Member

M.O.C. #24736
I don't know if you have your answer or not, of if this is applicable to you, but just in case:
Our booster is a small button behind the bedroom TV, right at the top center. There's a green light that turns on and off when you switch it. It works as advertised.

Rob
Hortense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #18
Hortense
Established Member

M.O.C. #24736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hortense View Post
I don't know if you have your answer or not, of if this is applicable to you, but just in case:
Our booster is a small button behind the bedroom TV, right at the top center. There's a green light that turns on and off when you switch it. It works as advertised.

Rob
This is on a 2015 Montana 3610RL
Hortense is offline   Reply With Quote