Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #81
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Here is a link to our set up which is performing exactly as we intended.

All DIY....

https://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2...-rats.html?m=1

Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #82
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboomer View Post

All DIY....

That was a fun read and I learned a bunch off of it. Not real sure if I want to cover my roof like that but if it works for you, I am all for it. Loved the Shore Power disconnect and Breaker box inside. Did that replace the main breaker box that was inside your coach? Very clean set up.

AC
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #83
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Oh, I have pared down from that. I am going with 6 Dragonfly 255AH. That'll be around 450lbs....
Having reduced your solar/battery footprint to your current config you will still be looking at adding 1000 lbs to your rig when you include the panels, Inverter/charger(s), solar charge controller(s),wiring, mounting hardware and misc. other stuff to finish the job. That will put a real dent in your CCC. Gotta look at the total picture of what you are trying to achieve not just the solar picture. Just sayin'.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #84
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
This was from our pre-upgrade system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67E67525-EF08-48D4-8ADD-5F1CF19BDA34.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	8104  
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #85
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboomer View Post

All DIY....

Very interesting install!

I like the idea of raising the panels, and you have mounted them in a way I don't think I've seen before. It seems to me there might be some issues, so I'm curious about the following:
-how do the AC units perform being covered up? I would worry they may not dissipate heat as well.
-what about roof vents and fans? Some auto vent fans have a hood that rises up a long way - is there still room, and do they vent as good as before?
-the panels look like they would be subject to wind getting under while driving or sudden wind gusts. That would seem to put a lot of strain on the whole system; have you had any issues?
-how much have you traveled with it so far? Any issues with flexing on the frame and panels?

Sorry for all the questions and it is really an intriguing idea you've come up with. Maybe I just can't wrap my head around it, so really curious how it has all worked out for you so far.

Thanks!
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #86
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Those were my same thoughts as well. I was also thinking that when and if the A/Cs ever needed servicing, that'd be a lot to take down to gain access to them. I love the "outside the box" thinking on that, but, just not for me.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #87
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
ONE question I do have is....Say, all of this comes to fruition. ANd say, I have had some successful boondocking/dry camping outings and we want to get to a camp site for a couple weeks or whatever, and use shore power for a while. How does that work? Do we just turn off the solar? Batteries? How would that work? Thanks!

AC
Old 12-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #88
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
ONE question I do have is....Say, all of this comes to fruition. ANd say, I have had some successful boondocking/dry camping outings and we want to get to a camp site for a couple weeks or whatever, and use shore power for a while. How does that work? Do we just turn off the solar? Batteries? How would that work? Thanks!

AC
If you have a hybrid inverter/charger like a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/50-120 it will simply charge your batteries and pass through your 50 amps on one leg. Totally automatic and transparent. That is what I have. There are several ways to configure the inverter/charger depending on your objectives. At the moment I am using the keep batteries charged program until the threat of power outage due to winter storms is past. Then I will probably drop it to 80% on battery life and let the solar play with the last 20% as well as run the rig. I have 400AH of Battle Born and 4x170W of solar.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #89
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Good stuff there. Thank you.

How you liking your 450? I am on the fence for one.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #90
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
We like it a lot. There is one thing to consider, the 450 payload is actually a little less than the 350. probably not an issue but you might want to check the door post yellow sticker against your RV GVWR. The reason it's less, is the 450 configured identically to the 350 weighs more. The 450 is a Medium Duty Truck, the 350 is still a Light Duty Truck. What you might not know about the 450 is it can out turn all the Ford trucks except for a few 150 models with a short wheelbase. Of course the 450 also has bigger brakes. That is also why a Ford dually looks so much better than the others. In Canada, we can only order it in Diesel, dually, crew cab long box. That is wat I wanted anyway, but it is different in the USA.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote