Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #41
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Was talking today with a Cornwell Toll distributor that was making his rounds. He let me look inside of his truck. It is a toy store for men on wheels. WOW!! This truck was loaded down with every type of tool for the automotive industry. Even the electronic stuff he had in there. I then, because I need a new one asked if I could buy from him just being public. I need to get me a new torque wrench. He had 2 of them in 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch drive. I about fell over when he told me the price. The 1/2 drive was well over $200.00 the 3/4 inch drive was $325.00. I asked him then if they were made from gold and silver. HF has a 3/4 in drive torque wrench for around $65.00. I know not as good but good enough for what I need it for. About the only thing I liked about the Cornwell it is made in America. No wonder why when you take you cars and trucks in to the auto shoppe's it coast you a arm, leg, and first born to get your car repaired.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #42
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We can debate this all day but in the end it boils down to common sense.

Most of us are not professional craftsmen and honestly don't need Snap on quality (and you can easily tell that their tools are high quality and worth the extra $$). We can get by with just medium grade tools.

But to say a true professional that works everyday with his tools is buying Snap on just for his ego is an unfair evaluation. IF I was a professional mechanic I would own Snap on! Not for some ego trip but simply because they build near bulletproof tools and like it or not high quality tools do make a difference in how well you can do your work. A Snap on socket is a LOT less likely to roll the edges off of a bolt head. That's a fact. The quality of metal used and the close tolerances make a BIG difference.

Do I need Snap on to take one bolt loose. No. But if your taking a hundred loose everyday...….
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #43
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have Craftsman. Most of mine are old and stamped Made in the USA. The new ones are not stamped at all. I have used Snap On tools and don't like them. The handles on the wrenches are to thin and smooth. if you get oil on your hands they are hard to hang on to. I don't think they are weak though. Expensive you bet. You can spend $10,000 on a tool box but you can park your truck on top of it and still get your tools out LOL I have Ingersol Rand air tools you don't need many.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #44
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I have Craftsman. Most of mine are old and stamped Made in the USA. The new ones are not stamped at all. I have used Snap On tools and don't like them. The handles on the wrenches are to thin and smooth. if you get oil on your hands they are hard to hang on to. I don't think they are weak though. Expensive you bet. You can spend $10,000 on a tool box but you can park your truck on top of it and still get your tools out LOL I have Ingersol Rand air tools you don't need many.

I used to do a lot of work for Ingersol Rand. I have made parts for air wrenches that were made back in the 40s. They made the best hoist ever made then stood behind them. Then sadly a new bunch from a different IR plant took over the plant. They didn’t care about the tools that this plant made. They were from the rock drill division. They made the best rock drill in the world but it was expensive. They ran both in the ground and now they both are gone. My brother worked in the plant for 20 years and saw like all the workers what was coming. He has worked in my shop for over 25 years.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #45
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevguy View Post
Milwaukee for electric ones. Snap on for hand tools
I'm DeWalt for electric and Craftsman for mechanics. I do like both of yours, but never could afford Snap-on. My dad owned a small car lot and I remember the Snap-on truck coming by every week to make a sale. They are great tools.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #46
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We can debate this all day but in the end it boils down to common sense.

Most of us are not professional craftsmen and honestly don't need Snap on quality (and you can easily tell that their tools are high quality and worth the extra $$). We can get by with just medium grade tools.

But to say a true professional that works everyday with his tools is buying Snap on just for his ego is an unfair evaluation. IF I was a professional mechanic I would own Snap on! Not for some ego trip but simply because they build near bulletproof tools and like it or not high quality tools do make a difference in how well you can do your work. A Snap on socket is a LOT less likely to roll the edges off of a bolt head. That's a fact. The quality of metal used and the close tolerances make a BIG difference.

Do I need Snap on to take one bolt loose. No. But if your taking a hundred loose everyday...….

Some people simply want the best they can buy, need it or not. And absolutely nothing wrong with that. For the majority of us the lower cost tools will serve us just as well as those that cost much more.

I have 3 tool boxes of tools I have accumulated over the last 50+ years. Mostly Craftsman. But probably 30% a mix of lesser names, no-names, and a few “good” names including Snap On, although I have no idea where I got those “good” ones. I didn’t buy them. Probably from my dad who was a mechanic before becoming disabled at a young age.

With that mix I always did my own auto repair up until 10 yrs ago or so. That included replacing an engine in a Chevy Luv truck and a 327 v8 and auto trans in a ‘78 Camaro. Never had a wrench, socket, or ratchet ever fail. If I need a special size wrench, socket, or other tool now I most likely go to Harbor Freight, or maybe Autozone.

Buy what makes you feel good rather than what others buy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:58 AM   #47
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
As another poster said - I too, do not like Snap-on ratchets and can attest to the fact that they are probably not their best tool, having smashed my knuckles when that little gear inside the head strips. I have S-K for 1/2" drive and S-K and the top level Craftsman for 3/8" and 1/4" drive. The low and mid level Craftsman ratchets just didn'tdidn't survive every day hard use.

Pricewise and for an occasional user, you can't beat Harbor Freight or even the Home Depot hand tools and what I carry in my RV tool box
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #48
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Before I retired we used Porter Cable because of their warranty. I bought an eight piece PC 20 v. Set 4 years ago. While building decks my SIL had Milwaukee 20 v and I could drive more screws with comparable battery I paid 379 for my set on Black Friday. I also have a Rigid 18v drill They have a lifetime warranty and have replaced the batteries twice and the charger at in the past 15 years. Heavy as hell but a good tool
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote