Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Exclamation Camper Electrical NOT Working

I have a 2013 Montana Highlander. We were in an RV park before the Covid hit, and all electrical worked nicely. Then, when Covid hit, we had to put our Montana in storage for nearly 1 1/4 years. We went back to our camper and replaced the 12 Volt battery, and it works the slideouts and leveling system as it should.

We pulled the camper into a lot with electricity and hooked up. However, nothing works off of the electrical. Breaker box seems to be ok, and fuses look ok.

Is there a "Master" Switch someplace in the electrical area in the front storage that might need to be reset? Any advice would be appreciated. I'll get an electrician if needed but I hate to do that if someone can help with an idea or two that could get the electricity working.

Billy

billybeesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have never heard of a Montana Highlander. But if it is like other Montanas, there is a battery disconnect switch in the convenience center. The switch needs to be in the positions where you can't remove the big red key. This disconnects most of the 12V power to the Montana but not to the systems that power your slides and landing gear.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
do you have a hard-wired electrical management system (EMS) for example
a progressive industries HW50?
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Sorry...Montana High Country. Ok. I will check in the Convenience Center for that Red Key. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Yes, there is a Progressive Industries Box/Gauge near the Slide Out Control Panel.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
When you say nothing works, do you mean both 12 vdc stuff and 120 vac stuff? Of just the 12 vdc?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Nothing electrical inside the camper works, with the exception of the slide outs.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
What, if anything, does the PI EMS display show? I pulled into the first campground in May this year and had NO AC power. My hardwired PI EMS HW50 was showing a high frequency of 188v on L2. the pedestal checked out OK with a volt meter and I also had been gifted a portable surgeguard EMS so I attached it the the pedestal and turned off the PI hardwired EMS. The PI EMS continued to have the high freq issue for the rest of the 3 week trip. Because the PI EMS was hard wired it had to be turned off at each campground.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The slide outs are wired directly off the battery through a self reseting breaker. It is possible that the 50 amp main breaker is tripped, which kills all 120v power to the rig, in addition to not charging the batteries, but you just installed new charged batteries. There is a problem in the wiring up to the main breaker or it is the main breaker that is bad. I'm sure you have fully turned off the main breaker fully to the off position and then back on to reset it, but if you haven't, try it first. If the battery disconnect switch is turned off, that is why no 12 volt power is getting to the 12 volt system in the trailer from the good battery.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:11 AM   #10
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
You did say you pulled your trailer onto a "lot", did you verify the meter base has AC power?
Old 06-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Yes, verified there is power from the meter base.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Thanks for the advice. I've reset the main breaker inside the panel of the camper several times. Doesn't do anything. I'm guessing the problem is happening before it gets to the panel.

I have left the camper for a couple of weeks. But when I return, I'll check the battery disconnect switch.

Is it possible the converter needs to be reset or is bad?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Do your inside overhead 12 vdc lights work? If so, then your 12 vdc system is good. But if you do not have 120 vac getting into the trailer, your battery will soon drain due to parasitic loads.

It sounds like you do not have 120 vac getting to the trailer. Since you have power at the outlet (when you say meter base I assume you mean there is an outlet at the meter you are plugged into), you will need to start checking voltage at each stage from that point to your trailer. You will need to check voltage at the input to and output from your "Progressive Industries Box/Gauge". (not sure exactly what that is. Does it have a model number?).

If you do not have ac voltage to the Progressive, then power is never making it into the trailer. Could be a bad power cord. Or bad connector on the back of the trailer.

If you have ac voltage to the Progressive, but not out of it, then the problem is that "box" is not passing voltage.

If you have voltage out of the Progressive, then you need to check voltage at your trailer circuit breaker panel.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Thank you so much for your suggestions and information. I'll do as you suggest when I get to my camper. Much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #15
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Circuit breaker ours just went
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
jdhbulseye

M.O.C. #22289
I have a 2016 Montana 3160 RL in which I had a similar problem except my electric/hydraulic slides would not work either only the bedroom electric slide was working. Turned out the wife had plugged the trailer in to our 50 amp service while I was away without turning the shore power breaker off or the trailer main breaker off and that killed the factory installed transfer switch in the trailer, oops. I don't have a generator installed so the transfer switch was serving no purpose for me and I ended up having it bypassed.
jdhbulseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #17
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
On my 3791rd i had to replace the converter I had power coming into the Rv from shore power and the 50 amp incoming breaker worked The outgoing breaker was the one that failed Since it was under warranty CW replaced the whole converter
You might have the same problem