Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
AndyRonLI
Established Member

M.O.C. #28313
DC DC - Ground Line?

Folks,

I am switching over to Lithum batteries and will have 2X200Ah. Given the size of the system I have decided to add a DC DC charger. I have isolated the "Hot" 12V wire from the trailer plug. I cannot find a single wire that would be the ground. Lots of white wires. Not that I can isolate as a conductor from the umbilical to anywhere in the battery compartment. Not sure I need that wire isolated, as ultimately ground should just be ground. But was hoping to have that wire identified.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
ANdy

AndyRonLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
AndyRonLI
Established Member

M.O.C. #28313
Oh its a 2019 321 MK before you ask ;-)
Old 06-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
AndyRonLI
Established Member

M.O.C. #28313
Wiring Diagram Attempt

Folks,
Here is my attempt at a wiring diagram of my battery bay. I have confirmed that the line labeled +12V tow vehicle, is in fact a line connecting directly to the pins on the trailer plug. Where else it may have been tapped is anyones guess.

I am assuming that it makes sense that the 12V hot from the alternator and the 12V hot from the converter are on the same lug. That lug feeds unfused power to the slides and awnings.
The fused side of that input provides power to the jacks on their own fuse, to the (this is a guess) water pump, and to the battery. At this point all essentials are covered, assuming the blue line is the water pump.

There is a fused line feeding the 12V distribution panel, not thrilled with the break in the batter feed to connect that breaker, but this isnt a rocket ship.

There is a dedicated line of the battery feeding the inverter through a breaker.

And then a mystery pair of wires. Red with Red/Black as a pair going.. somewhere? This looks like a solar control er line, but 10amps seems small even for a Lead Acid battery

I would love a sanity check of all this. Uncertainties are indicated by yellow with a question mark. Assuming I get the mysteries solved, is there a spot were things like this get archived?
Thanks
ANdy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MontanaHC_2019_321MK_BatteryBayWiring.pdf (30.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here is my write up to my DC-DC charger install

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hlight=charger
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #5
AndyRonLI
Established Member

M.O.C. #28313
Daryles,
I had actually found your thread. I was hoping to avoid those new truck and trailer runs and use existing wiring. I am thinking of downsizing to the 20A from 40A but not sure I have to. So if made new tow to trailer runs, wouldn't I need to disable the existing Battery + run that already provides power while on the road? I can definitely see where 60Amps would exceed the capacity of those existing wires. I dont have solar, and generally plan on being plugged in on site, either to shore power or running a generator intermittently. Only want the truck to pick up the small load off the inverter running the refrigerator, and perhaps top of the batteries a bit while I drive.

Thanks for the input.
Any thoughts on the maximum draw on the existing wiring for a long road trip?
-Andy
Old 06-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The most I have seen from the 7 way cable from the TV charging wire is about 7A. The wire is 10 gauge (I think), so it should be capable of 30A.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote