Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
EGT

I know everyone talks about their egt, and I know what they are talking about, but my friend has a 6.0 powerstroke and I have a duramax. Ther are no gauges on our trucks for this, however we have been told by the dealer that when the temperature gets to high it will show on the instrument panel. I not one much for idiot lights and would like to have one installed, has anyone any information on this topic?

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I don't know about the duramax or the new 6.0 but with my ford 7.3 I had gages installed. Don't think the dash will tell you anything about egt You need gages. I think Steve R has them on his new Ford.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Yeah, thanks. But to install the probe for the egt you have to drill out the exhaust header to install. I've heard and read you can do this with engine idling without removing the exhaust header. Just wondering if anyone had went thru this process.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the dealership install my EGT and turbo boost gauge. They did have to drill but from what I can see did an excellent job. Everything looks like it came right out of the factory that way. I would highly recommend having a EGT installed if you are towing a large amount of weight all the time. There are no lights on the dash(for the duramax anyways) that will tell you when the exhaust is too hot. One thing in my opinion I would do is to make sure you have the probe installed post turbo. You do not want the probe to break off by chance and go sailing right into your turbo if you installed it pre-turbo. Just my opinion. I keep my EGT below 1250 degrees and have seen the turbo hit as high as 21PSI.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You are seeing 1250 post turbo then You are running too hot. Post turbo runs 250-300 deg cooler than pre-turbo. The 1250 max temp is pre-turbo.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
gitrdun,
Like Montana Sky, my sensor is in the exhaust manifold at the #8 cylinder (passenger side rear). This location will give you hotter (but more accurate readings) because it's closest to the exhaust port for the cylinder. I had mine installed at a shop that specializes in diesel work, and they did both the pyrometer and the boost gauges. I'm not aware of any "idiot light" in the dash for EGT.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
On my F350 2005 6.0 PSD they installed on down turn pipe after turbo, I have the BD X-Monitor on my unit. Installed with 15 miles on it. Worked great dealer was impressed with the installation once I took it in for service yesterday.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gitrdun, I have three gauges on the pillar next to the windshield. I have gauges for water temp, transmission temp, and EGT (pyrometer). The dash already has the water temp and transmission temp and also a turbo boost gauge. The turbo boost gauge actually works as a gauge so I saw no need to add that one on the pillar.

You can buy the gauges from many truck accessories stores and many also will do the installation. It was at least an 8-hour job on mine. You'll have to tell them where you want the probes installed or they'll go with what they see as the easiest or safest locations. For the EGT I had it installed in the exhaust manifold but insisted they remove the manifold, then drill and install the probe after thorough cleaning off all drill residue. For the transmission temp I had the probe installed in the line going from transmission to cooler, about 6 inches from the transmission. The first try the put it in the return line and the tranny temp never hit the 100 degree low mark on the gauge. For the water temp gauge they installed the probe at the base of the thermostat housing. I think this may be a bad location as this gauge shows water temp about 30 degrees higher (at all times) than the same brand of gauge on our 2003 with the same engine. They replaced both gauge and sender but no difference. When we get back to KC I'm going to go to the truck shop that installed the gauges on the 2003 and see what they think.

Pre-turbo or post-turbo for the EGT probe is probably personal preference. Dave is right that if the probe is pre-turbo and breaks off it will take out the turbo. But the odds of that are very slim. The tradeoff is the EGT reading when pre-turbo reacts more quickly to temp changes and I want to know I'm approaching the limit before it causes damage. Just my preference. The installer originally put it post-turbo but I didn't like the slow reaction times and low readings (was used to pre-turbo on the other truck) so made him move it to the exhaust manifold. Again, just my preference. Either location is worthwhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I just put myself out of misery and found a reputable shop and will have them install a pyrometer and boost gauge. I know I will feel more comfortable with the gauges. Also, so little expense verses a big investment of a TV. Thanks you guys for al the feed back, glad I have someone to depend on.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
gitrdun,
Let us know what you think of the gauges and how they look. I think having mine installed was one of the smartest things I have done.

Steve,
Just curious, you had said that you found your EGT to react slowly when mounted post-turbo. It seems on mine that the minute I hit that throttle I can move the temp almost 500-700 degrees between 3rd and 5th gear. Was yours that quick to respond or might I have a bad sensor on mine?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
On my '00 F250 I had a pre turbo mounted EGT gauge. It would respnd instantly when you goosed the throtle. If you use a post mounted turbo just be sure to never go over about 850 degrees as I have seen a truck that had both and there was nearly 400 degrees differance in the two gauges.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 AM   #12
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Like MontanaSky, my sensor is pre-turbo. It is very quick to react to changes in temps due to getting on or off the throttle. I've hit 1350 for a second or so, and also been down to just under 200 when going down a long hill off throttle.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montana Sky, mine is pre-turbo and will go from 200-300 at idle to over 1000 in a matter of two seconds, maybe three when under heavy load. That's what I was used to on the prior truck so when on this truck they put the egt probe post-turbo it seemed to react very slowly in comparison and the temperature range not nearly so great. The most important thing is to know what is normal, where the max is, and watch to not exceed the max. I'm not sure what max would be post-turbo.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Steve,
The guys who installed the EGT and Turbo Boost gauge had said it is set and ready for my make and model of motor/tranny. I need to keep the EGT under the 1250 mark as it is set for redline (too hot) at 1300 degrees. The truck idle's 200-300 degrees and if I step on it will kick up to 700-800 degrees before it has shifted into 3rd gear. It was said earlier that if you are post turbo then you should add 200-300 degrees for the true preturbo air temp. Well running 75mph down the highway empty will get me a temp of 700-850 degrees add 200-300 and that would put me at 900-1150 empty. This would mean when I get 1100 towing it really is 1300-1400 degrees?????? Boy I am confused now, guess I will call the shop who installed for me and get clarification. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I am running post turbo EGT on my gauge and the alarm is set at 900 degrees, this number was determined by the instructions that came with the kit. My gauges are LED digital so are quite sensitive. I start watching it closely at 850, never been to the 900 degree mark.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 AM   #16
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
I just had an X Monitor pyro and boost guage installed this past Tue. at a cost of $525.00. It's all one guage with digital read and preset temp. of 1200 degrees and 25 lbs. of boost, When it reaches these presets the guage starts flashing and you are supposed to back off. It is also a pre turbo install. It is a real nice pillar mount. Haven't had much of a chance to use it but looking forward to in the future
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #17
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Got my new pyrometer and boost gauges installed. The best thing I ever done cost 430, but well worth it. Pulled the Monty out to Aguana past Temecula at the Outdoor Resort RV park. What a beautifull place seen a few Montys parked there. Wonder if anyone ther belongs to the MOC? The gauges change your driving habits and for the good. I averaged 14.2 mpg out there and back and kept the egt under control. My advise on gauges. GIT-R-DUN!!!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm planning on picking up a 2500HD D/A within the next few weeks. a lot of you are sold on gauges. Am I at that much of a risk if I don't get them? I understand gitrdun's idea that it could increase gas mileage slightly, but I would think that if gauges are critical, dealerships would be push them more as options in potential tv's. After all your GM/Ford/Dodge 3/4 diesels are not generally purchased to be used as your normal "grocery getter".
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
No, you do not have to get the EGT and Turbo gauges to tow a Montana. I had mine installed for my piece of mind, and to keep my engine running for at least 200,000 miles. I just really like to know where the air temps are, and also watch to see how hard the turbo is working to keep things rolling. Watch your tranny temp and engine temp gauge and you will probably be fine. I did not have the two gauges installed until this spring, towed all last year without them, but noticed most of the diesel guys in the rv parks had them and swore by them. So I figured if this many folks have them, and they tow alot more than I, well I should be getting them as well.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave,
I'll probabably gradually add on these things as I go with advice from these great forums. Running out and immediately slapping down $10K on accessories is not going to be an option for me when I buy the truck. But I can see the advantages to a lot of thes add~ons, like gauges, air bags, etc. I need to start making a list.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote