Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
branson-russell

M.O.C. #13409
frigidaire microwave model CFMV152CLBA

Has anyone out there experienced a problem with the frigidaire microwave model CFMV152CLBA, supplied with our Montana 2013 3402RL?

After using it to heat a coffee last Thursday it burned internally almost causing a fire in our unit. Luckily we found the source of the smell of burned wire, burned plastic and heat before it burst into open flames. I hate to think of the 'what if' if we hadn't been here.

Our dealer, Greg's RV Place in Duncan, BC, Canada replaced it immediately with the same model.

I have not found any recalls on this unit but would like to know if this was a freak occurrence with one faulty microwave or a known issue with a faulty model.

branson-russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Robert I am on my third Fridgedaire microwave same model, I have had no fire issues but whenever we unplugged and moved and plugged back into shore power the turntable would be going around, could not stop it without a lot of messing around. The replacement for that unit in October never did have the slow speed on the exhaust fan and although Keystone would not warranty it, the supplier to Keystone stepped up and a local dealer has ordered a new motor and control board and it will be fixed under warranty.
They are not a cheap microwave so I don't understand why all the problems. Do you happen to know where the wires shorted causing yours to catch on fire.

I hope your new one does not give you further problems.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We have that model and are going on 2 years with no problems with it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
branson-russell

M.O.C. #13409
Thanks for the replies. No, Irlpguy, the fire was fully within the unit, but the hottest area was the top and was so hot we couldn't touch it.
Now that you mention it ...we just checked the new unit and there is no slow speed on the fan!
Thanks WeBeFulltime, we may want a different model if this one is frequently a problem, so it helps to know there are good ones.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I will let you know when the local dealer comes and repairs mine regarding the operation of the two speed fan. The switch on the control board has two distinct spots but no slow speed. They were not sure if it was the fault of the fan or the board. We like the microwave/oven other than these issues.

Most problems with these units is the result of loose fitting wire ends, I would certainly ask about the 2 speed fan on yours.

I just replaced a door switch and a bit of wiring in my S&B microwave that is likely 20 years old, can't complain about that service and it still works great. It is a Panasonic however.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
branson-russell

M.O.C. #13409
Thanks Ed/Carol. We have warranty work being done in the dealer's service centre on August 16th so it would be good to know before then if we need to get the microwave dealt with at the same time.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
branson-russell

M.O.C. #13409
We are now on our third microwave. They replaced the one with only one fan speed. This one didn't have a glass plate packed in it so we had to wait a day for the glass plate from the previous unit to be sent to us. If you get a new one be sire all the accessories are there.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Ours is still new, but no problems so far. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Our microwave is the same and have had no issues, DW uses convection and we both use microwave to heat stuff.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Update:
Local warranty dealer has been out and had ordered both the fan and control board and they have now arrived. They will be installing the new parts after the weekend.
Funny thing I was working on the stove and needed a light so plugged the microwave back in and lo and behold I had both speeds on the fan. Went in and brought the DW out to show her and lo and behold I did not have slow speed again... I hope the parts solve the problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Update: Henceforth Repairman will be referred to "he" and I will be referred to as "I".

He arrived with 2 boxes, containing fan and control board. He removes microwave and installs new control board. Why don't we try it to confirm it was the board all along and not the fan says I... No says he, I have both parts here, so will install both parts.

Fan and board installed and he plugs in unit before reinstalling microwave at my suggestion. Hmmm nothing, nada. I check the outlet, yup we got juice says I. At this point I look at the fan and, wait one says I, that is not installed correctly, where is the air going to go... Oooops, Ok we will deal with that after I put the old board back in says he.

He installs old board, points fan in the correct direction and plugs the unit back in...whoa and Yahooo, what is that little beep and display light coming on says I. Yup you guessed it the "new" under warranty board is no flipping good and has to be re-ordered. The old one still does not run the fan at slow speed. Now I have a free spare fan that is perfectly good, and supplied under warranty to boot.

I will order you a "new" board says he, and we will fix it if it takes a 100 years, cause it's still under warranty on this job.

I hope it does not take 100 years young fella, I don't have that long to wait, says I.

Have a good afternoon says he, and the same to you I reply as I break into tears.

Looks like a further update will be required.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
Frigidaire microwave convection oven cfmv152clba

We have a 2013 Montana 3100RL. We have been using the convection oven feature quite regularly and now it has gone on the fritz. It appears to be heating properly, but before it gets to selected temperature it goes back to half way or less, never getting to selected temp. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, what was the problem. I know these units aren't all that expensive, and it might just be cheaper to replace it.