Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Refrig - Changeout

Hi! We have made the decision to park our 2010 3665RE unit permanently (Dade City, FL) and on my list of things to do is to remove the AC/LP refrig and install a residential one.

Any opinions on makes and models that work for the group? I am assuming that the only thing needed on the LP side is a brass cap to seal that connection.

I'd appreciate any refrigerator info and tips/tricks!

TIA!

JoeG

jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Several members have done this over the years. The Search facility will uncover lots of discussion about the process. Here are a few samples.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=79043
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=78418
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1131749
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1114599

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Regarding Samsung? There are two camps here: Those that hate them and those that like them. It seems those that work good, work very good. And those that don't work good, are nothing but horrid nightmares.

I have a Samsung and it's been flawless since we purchased the fifth wheel.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Samsung? As noted, some love them and apparently some hate them. I've not had a Samsung anything go wrong on me and I buy a lot of their branded stuff. That said I had never had a Samsung RV fridge and was hesitant to buy this trailer because of it. I talked to LOTS of folks about them and didn't find a one that didn't like them so bought the trailer.

When we returned home in July my home fridge had died. Of course there were no fridges to be had anywhere in our area due to covid. Looked and looked until I found a small appliance store that had been in business for decades. They had a Samsung, again I had the same reservations. I spoke at length with the owner and his wife regarding them. After those visits I bought a new 4 door for the house. The owner told me that if he had to buy a fridge the one at the top of his list would be a Samsung. He advised that of all the repair calls they had to make on newly sold fridges, Samsung was at the bottom. Don't know but I took him at his word. One or both may fail tomorrow but I'm thinking they won't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Just about any brand will work fine. Challenge is finding the unit you want that matches the Dimensions you need to work with.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Just about any brand will work fine. Challenge is finding the unit you want that matches the Dimensions you need to work with.
Yep, simply measure your available space and go shopping at your favorite appliance store. Be sure to keep space depth in mind too. Most Rv's with residential reefers use "counter depth" units.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
So far we've been very happy with our Samsung. We've been full timing in our rig for several months now and whether running off inverter or shore power it's never skipped a beat. Makes ice faster than we can use it up.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appl...r-us/#benefits
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Bad Samsung fridge

Among many other items that have gone wrong yet another just surfaced. We are gearing up for a short trip and Wanted to start storing things in the Fridge. Went and opened the door and no light. So, I say to myself what is going on now? Long story short the outlet has 120v power and the fridge is as dead as a door nail . To top it off the warranty ran out 6 months before we purchased our 3701rk Montana. Currently in the process of Dealing with the dealer to see where to go next. We did purchase an extended warranty that covers bumper to bumper and everything inside. Let’s hope there’s not a fight
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Installed the 18 cu ft Samsung in my 3800. You can send me email to jcurtis934@aol.com to find out what I had to do. When i try to do longer posts on the forum, it bars and logs me out. John
Old 09-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Regarding Samsung? There are two camps here: Those that hate them and those that like them. It seems those that work good, work very good. And those that don't work good, are nothing but horrid nightmares.

I have a Samsung and it's been flawless since we purchased the fifth wheel.
Love our Samsung. We are fulltimers as well. The only issue is we had to swap the defrost thingy and install the new one that is a little longer I think. Did that a while back and so far so good.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
[QUOTE=jgavin;1198685]Hi! We have made the decision to park our 2010 3665RE unit permanently (Dade City, FL) and on my list of things to do is to remove the AC/LP refrig and install a residential one.

Any opinions on makes and models that work for the group? I am assuming that the only thing needed on the LP side is a brass cap to seal that connection.

I'd appreciate any refrigerator info and tips/tricks!

TIA!

JoeG[/QUOTE

If you like the size of your current fridge, you can change out your current cooling unit to a 120 V compressor driven unit. You end up with a residential type unit. No having to find a fridge to fit your current space. Comes with a 3 year warranty and option to buy an additional 3 year warranty. Check out JCRefrigeration.com web site to see if this would work for you. I changed out my Dometic to the 12 V compressor unit so I can run it while traveling and not run it on propane. I have my freezer now at -10 degrees and 36 degrees in the fridge. This is at the third setting out of 5 in Texas heat.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Samsung? As noted, some love them and apparently some hate them. I've not had a Samsung anything go wrong on me and I buy a lot of their branded stuff. That said I had never had a Samsung RV fridge and was hesitant to buy this trailer because of it. I talked to LOTS of folks about them and didn't find a one that didn't like them so bought the trailer.

When we returned home in July my home fridge had died. Of course there were no fridges to be had anywhere in our area due to covid. Looked and looked until I found a small appliance store that had been in business for decades. They had a Samsung, again I had the same reservations. I spoke at length with the owner and his wife regarding them. After those visits I bought a new 4 door for the house. The owner told me that if he had to buy a fridge the one at the top of his list would be a Samsung. He advised that of all the repair calls they had to make on newly sold fridges, Samsung was at the bottom. Don't know but I took him at his word. One or both may fail tomorrow but I'm thinking they won't.
God help you if the 4 door unit has propane as the refrigerant for one section. I think they did away with that a few years back but never sure what Samsung does. It will have a 10 year warranty on the sealed system and if the propane side fails, it gets replaced. Yep, the whole unit.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
Lee A Thorson

M.O.C. #18857
Need a hyphen in the address...

https://jc-refrigeration.com/
Lee A Thorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Thorson View Post
Need a hyphen in the address...

https://jc-refrigeration.com/
Thanks, missed that. BTW, the 12 V cooling unit does NOT require an inverter. The 120 V does, same as any residential fridge.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, swapout