Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sick and tired of the Thetford toilet, it's now gone!

All my previous campers had Dometic toilets in them and they were very easy to service, especially when it came time to put a new seal in the bottom of the bowl.

My High Country came with a Thetford and it's been nothing but a pain in the arse (literally) since the first day. The seal on the bowl never did work right. So, after 2 attempted repairs (yes, removing it from the floor, turning it over, separating it into two halves, replacing the seal, gooping it up with all kinds of grease, reassembling the thing, and then anchoring it back to the floor, really is a pain in the arse too ... especially when the thing still leaked with the new seals!)

We'll, first thing on my list after returning from the North Carolina gig was to replace that toilet with a Dometic 310. Today I did! And that dang old Thetford was a pain in the arse to the very end (yea ... pun intended).

We have the Bidet attached and I wanted to keep the Bidet on the new toilet. But getting that thing off was awful. The bolts that hold the seat on were so rusted up, even though the nuts were plastic, I ended up having to just bust the ceramic bowl and then took the seat with the attached bidet to my grinder and grind the dang things off. I'm glad I did not attempt swapping out the toilets while camping. I could have never done it without a hax saw and a grinder. But finally! Success.

Here's the old one. I ended up dropping it into our trash dumpster and continued breaking it up with a hand held sledge hammer. It's in a hundred shattered pieces now. Good by and audiose you piece of crap (pun intended).

Here's the new one, installed with the Bidet all cleaned up:

Now, one more thing I did while I had the toilet off the floor. I cleaned my black tank extra good.

Here's something I found out. When I took the toilet off the flange, I noticed a considerable amount of (well, you know) on the bottom just sitting there. No toilet paper, we have the Bidet ... remember!

So, I decided to go ahead and hook up the black tank flusher with the garden hose. We're at home, I can use all the water and take all the time I want.

I turned on the black tank flusher and then went inside the camper and with a flash light watched down the hole. And to my unpleasant surprise, nothing really moved! The tank was emptied before I started this and I thought it was pretty clean. Well, it wasn't.

So I sat there for about 5 minutes watching the water just swirl around this little island in the bottom of the tank, directly below the hole I was looking through. It NEVER moved!

So much for the wonders of the black tank flusher! Pretty much useless!

I then went and got my black tank toilet wand. I attached it to the garden hose and with flashlight strap wrapped around the other arm I observed what was happening down that hole. Now everything was moving and within a few seconds, that little island was completely gone. I could see the bottom of the tank and the water running out the sewer hose (clear section of hose) I the water was coming out pretty clear. The mud slide had left the mountain!

So, here's the bottom line and what I learned. Black tank flushers don't really do much at all. I think.... we ALL THINK ... it does, but in actual practice, nope. I do think it helps clear out some stuff, but no near as much as we'd all like to think.

No remember, my tank has no toilet paper in it at all. Hasn't had toilet paper in 3 years now (because of the Bidet). I can't imagine how much TP clings inside that tank, even with the black tank flusher.

On the plus side, that black tank toilet hose wand seems to work the absolute best and truly knocks the crap (pun intended again) out of that tank.

So, today was a success, admist the frustration of plastic bolts that were welded with rust to those bolts, it was a good day!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:10 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I wish there was a way to install a pressure washer turbo nozzle in the tank. That would clean anything.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I wish there was a way to install a pressure washer turbo nozzle in the tank. That would clean anything.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Regarding the "Mountain"
Do you run your Flusher AFTER Dumping with the Tank Closed? I Dump Black once a week. After Dumping I run the Flusher for 60 seconds to put water in the tank (Only 40 seconds if Water Pressure is well above normal).
Then I clean the toilet bowl with Gain Detergent, Calgon Water Softener, AND "Happy Camper Tank Treatment with a toilet Brush - Then fill the toilet full to the rim and flush, shoving the Toilet Brush down the drain, and then fill the toilet to a normal level.
Typically I dump well after the morning B movements so there would be at least 2 more just fluid flushes before any solids. And then another 7 days before dumping.
Never had a mountain since 2005!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:27 PM   #5
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thor should repay all owners who had to replace the thetford with the Dometics..IMHO..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I did not have to replace my Thetford. I did it as a pre-emotive strike before having an issue. A Dometic will not fit in my half bath so I added a valve on the supply line to be able to turn the water off in the event of a problem. I installed the Dometic when the unit was about 6 months old. I sold the Thetford on Craigslist for $50.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #7
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
New Throne!

Babers and I took our our Thertford Aqua Magic and replaced it with a Dometic 320. The only issue is the 320, being elongated, uses more water to fill the bowl for a flush. If I was to replace it, I would go with a 310.

Our black tank flush works great. I open the dump valve, turn on the black tank flush and let it "rinse down" the tank as it empties. We then dump several buckets of water down the toilet to losen anything up. I stop when it comes out clear. We also spend plenty of time on the road the helps break things up.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Geology, I don't quite understand the 'fill bowl to flush' comment. I just run in a little and press the pedal down. I do have the 'hose thing' I added to rinse when needed, so maybe that takes care of this issue.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Well, thanks so much Dutch.
Just replaced the ball in my Thetford Aqua Magic since the drive arm broke and while testing it out the valve EXPLODED!
Thankfully I was right there and shut off the pump right away.
Ordered the Dometic 320 in white from Amazon. It should be delivered tomorrow. I'm tired of worrying about when this thing is going to bite the dust. Now it's going in the trash where it belongs.
Another upgrade checked off the list!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote