Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
DiamondLakeDuo
Established Member

M.O.C. #22822
Roof Repair

Good morning! We have a 2018 HM330RL High Country. I have noticed several nails or staples (probably staples as every thing else is stapled on our rig) are pushing up from the roof substrate. They haven't punctured the roofing membrane yet but I expect they will at some point. I am hesitant to try to pound them back down as I suspect they will come through the membrane then. I am thinking of cutting a small slit at each problem location, pounding the staple back down, then patching the slit with a rubber membrane adhesive and material patch. Has anyone experienced a similar issue and found a satisfactory solution? Thanks in advance for any help.

DiamondLakeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is a very common problem. The best thing you can do is leave them alone. It ain’t broke until they punch a hole in the roof and they haven’t done that.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Pounding them back down will not keep them in. The legs of the staples have already wallowed out the holes. I agree with mlh on this one. You might search this forum as many strings have been posted on this problem and some creative fixes.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This has been an ongoing discussion for years. A Search will uncover many Threads about this. The common schools of though are: let it be and worry when it, and if it penetrates
OR
cut a small X, pull the staple, replace with a stainless screw, add some Dicor, and cover with a piece of Eternabond.

I went with option #2.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
This has been an ongoing discussion for years. A Search will uncover many Threads about this. The common schools of though are: let it be and worry when it, and if it penetrates
OR
cut a small X, pull the staple, replace with a stainless screw, add some Dicor, and cover with a piece of Eternabond.

I went with option #2.

I have also done Carl's option #2.

Keep an eye on bubbles. I have one on my front left corner just aft of the cap I have been watching.
When it gets to a point where it bothers me, I will get a large syringe and a fat needle. Fill the syringe with adhesive and inject it under the membrane. Then put some weights on it for a few days until I'm sure the glue has cured.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Roof repair.

I have a similar problem except mine is more sever. The metal edge trim that protects the edge of the plywood sheet is coming loose for about 1/2 the length of the side. (About 15 feet). It hasn't torn the membrane but it is pretty scary to think it could pop more and tear the membrane with a big hole.
It is a 2014 Keystone 35' 5th Wheel. I am planning on a take off and rework just in case the plywood is soft. I think it is to large of a potential issue not to rework the entire roof. Comment?
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The staples are what holds the edge trim down. Obviously many of your have pulled loose. Rather than tear off the roof, I would do the cut, screw, cover process every 2' or so and that should hold it all together.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Re- Staple?

Might try a good Staple Gun and see if one penetrates well, if so add more, cover with Eternabond tape and as old as 2007 roof could be recoat with Tropic Cool or other Roof treatment
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Mine is doing the same thing, I’m going to put a slit in the membrane and remove the loose staples and eternabond it and call it a day. I have other areas where caulk is failing so it’s going to be a day on the roof.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would put screws through the top and plywood about every four inches then put some caulking around the heads. You already have many screws through the roof a few more won’t hurt. This is the quickest easiest fix and can easily be undone so you can take more drastic measures. I’m betting it will work.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote