Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2024, 06:08 AM   #1
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Recommended for slides

What is recommended for the seals on slideouts?

Thanks

jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:48 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Talking

If you are asking about something to condition them with, then I do NOT recommend using Rubber Sealer Conditioner stuff, that stuff that comes in a spray can, it's white and foamy.

I used that stuff "religiously" on my first camper with slide and it just made the rubber sticky and kind of melted it. When the slides were pressed against the rubber the slide stuck to the rubber and over time the rubber started sticking to the metal causing it to actually leave chunks of rubber stuck to the side of the camper and I had missing chunks of rubber from the slide itself.

Unfortunately, once the damage was done, it was done. I attempted to clean the rubbers with all kind of cleaners, but the rubber was now damaged. Well, I limped the camper along, never did replace the rubbers, but eventually traded that camper for another one. I did do the honest thing and pointed out the failing rubbers to the buyer.

Since then, I've never used that stuff again. I still have 2 or 3 cans sitting in my garage.

Now, all I do is normal cleaning (I wash my camper with Dawn Dishwashing liquid), and really do nothing special to the rubbers any more. I do inspect them often (I mean, really often).

I have found that baby powder, you know the stuff you sprinkle on baby butts does work very well. Not only does it help clean the rubbers, but it also treats them without hurting them and keeps them soft. I do not advise using any body powders for adults. They have perfumes in them that could cause potential problems. That's why baby power is good. Just sprinkle some on a soft cloth and wipe down the rubbers.

I do not recommend using any else, because of my personal experience in the past. Others may feel different and have marvelous results. But, I'll never use that stuff again.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:11 PM   #3
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks
jann is offline   Reply With Quote