Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Honda 2000i Tie downs

I finally bought two Honda Generators,now I need to find out the best way to secure them while on the ground. I am open to all suggestions,I really appreciate all advice.
I have a 30 ft. cable 3/8 thick,will this be enough?
Thx,Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jack when we use our two Hondas I put them on the ground with one or two of the plastic pads under them and then anchor them with the same thing you have-a 3/8" cable that is plastic/vinyl coated. I have put the steel handle guards on each of the handle so if someone wants them they will have to use some heavy duty cable cutters or a really sharp hacksaw to cut the handles. That's what the nasty guys were using to cut the plastic handles and release the cable or chain. I anchor the cable to one of the front landing legs. If they want it they will have to make some real noise and they are right below the bedroom and we'll hear them. I use the same cable in the back of the TV to secure them in the bed of the truck and also have two shorter cables that are intertwined in the handles and the main cable.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I use a 1/2 inch cable for mine, but that's because I already owned it. I use a 3/8" for the gas tank and my lp tanks. That said, if someone wants to steal something they will figure a way and come with the tools they need. In my basement, I carry a commercial grade Makita reciprocal saw and appropriate blades that would do the job pretty fast. Down near the Mexican boarder even the club won't save your truck if they want it bad enough. By pass the computer and cut the steering wheel in several places and be gone in minutes. You don't try to protect yourself from the serious thief, just the regular ones. What you have will do the job fine. If you think I'm paranoid and know a little too much about this stuff ask someone from the Goshen/Elkart area about Hammond, Indiana (where I grew up) when your up at the rally. Someone asked at Tiara last year why I changed the locks on my basement doors. I told them I was from there and the scary stories just flowed. Joyce found it somewhat educational.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good idea to secure the handles.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/TheftControlHondas?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I read and saw a setup that I thought was very clever but I don't remember where.

A person had a large sheet of that diamond plate pattern metal used for tool boxes and such. The piece was large enough to be one RV Tire, then stick away from there to fit BOTH generators. They had drilled holes into the plate and used longer screws to fasten the feet of the generators. Before setting up the trailer, they place the whole assembly (not sure how they moved both generators and the plate but that's for another topic), then drove the RV on top of the metal plate. The weight of the RV allegedly kept them secure. I don't recall but there was also discussion to attach a chain to the part of the plate behind the tire long enough to go up and over the axle. The goal of this setup was to make theft very difficult. I suppose for some this might do the trick if the plate is so long that one would have to put a jack on the plate to jack up the axle and therefore still not be able to remove the assembly.

I have a crude diagram but I am having difficulty getting it the correct size.

Unfortunately, this is a lot of work, but I'll bet it works since you can't unbolt the gennies from the plate cuz you can't get under the plate. I also don't know how all this metal would work long term under weather conditions.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Good idea to secure the handles.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/TheftControlHondas?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I bought those handles guards. Not Cheap but does the job so far. I chain to the front legs of the trailer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
John, do you have the link for those handles? I seem to recall they are available in the aftermarket, but couldn't find them. I would certainly not be as talented as Ozz to make my own.

I like Ozz's design because the security handles look removable so one can carry the generators as needed, then refasten the security bars. But I thought he mentioned he's tack weld the nuts and bolts so how do you carry them now unless there's more finger room in those bars than I can tell?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
HONDA GENERATOR THEFT DETERENT BRACKET EU2000I
My handles do not come off. I can carry with them on. Mainly they prevent some one from cutting the plastic handle with a Grubber or multi function tool SAW.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mind do not come off, but you can easily carry them.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Very good... both do the same thing. $46 each plus shipping from a store or Ozz's homemade. Both are virtually the same and just improve the weakness at the handle.

I'd say Ozz is the better value... what with the education, friendship and sense of humor alone are worth more than the price of the storebought. H. John ain't no slouch either. Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, John is already The Mayor, but if I ever run for dog-catcher of Mayberry, I will try and secure you as my campaign manager with a few chickens and a bushel of corn, bout all I could come up with at this time of my life..
You indeed have a way with the words.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jack, I think the cable would be fine, we can only hope to slow them down.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I have a cable with a 120db alarm on the end of it-use it for my portable satellite dish.Would work with a generator also.Purchased on line.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RichR

I have a cable with a 120db alarm on the end of it-use it for my portable satellite dish.Would work with a generator also.Purchased on line.
Rich,do you have the link for that cable alarm?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks everyone for that great advice,I do also have the steel handle covers that John has.
At the time,I bought the handles for 37.00 at camping world.
BTW,I fit the two Gens. and my Berg dual feed gas tank up in the from compartment of our 3400rl,fits perfect!
Jack
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
jjackflash-I will look for the info.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here are some anti theft metal brackets I installed on my EU 2000 generators, I got them at Northern tool (part # 167251-1201)
Ripped off the Internet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Honda-EU...-/110634175736

Ozz
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I have always heard and I believe it is true:

There is no lock made that will keep a thief out. All they will do is keep an honest man honest.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #19
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
There is a company in Lake Havasu City, AZ that makes diamond plate covers that bolt to your truck bed. There are holes in it so you can use it with the cover on it. It's pricey but they are custom made. I saw these at Quartzite.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is the/A box:

http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm