Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
3100rl owners

Going to look at a 2013 3100rl on Sunday. Anybody have any advice or comments, good or bad, on this model. Thanks in advance.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Steve we have the 2013 3100RL and we love it. Started out wanting a totally different floor plan but finally ended up with this one and really liked this model. We have had some minor issues when we got it but they have all been fixed under warranty. I am 6'-0" tall and hate having my feet hang off the end of the bed so I really like the full size king mattress. The living room is really comfortable and my wife, son and myself can all watch the TV without having to contort ourselves. My son sleeps on the air mattress that folds out of the couch. We have used it for several trips since we bought it at the end of August 2012. We have used it in 90 degree weather and down to 8 degrees. I has performed well. The longest we have used it is a week so far and plan a two week trip at the end of May. I really can't think of anything that I dislike so far about this 5er. We are very pleased with it.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Ditto, had our since October, 2 minor warranty repairs. Probably have about 30 nights and 1,200 miles, and one really nice thing is that when it's hooked up it follows me where ever we go! i.e. it tows easy. We enjoy the open living room area, no kids but 2 dogs. Enjoy
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
Took delivery on ours last September have used it about 3 weeks since with only minor problems that we took care of. We did have the mor-rid IS suspension and disc brakes installed in October. That was worth every penny. We feel its the best floor plan.
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Billorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13379
Steve, we've had ours for a year and absolutely love the way it tows and camps,the length and weight is perfect for our TV and it maneuvers easily in most of the campgrounds no matter how tight. It camps perfectly for 2 and is very comfortable when we camp with our grand kids. We had freinds that traded their longer unit in and just bought a 2013 3100rl Paramont because they liked ours so much. I really like the decor package that the Paramont offers for 2013.
Best Regards,

Lizanne & Bill
Billorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
We bought ours in October and have spent 4 months in Florida with it and are thrilled with the open floorplan. So far we have had no issues with it other than the wheels on the portable pantry are not sturdy enough and have bent and broken. I am sure they will be replaced under warranty but need to be more heavy duty.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Thanks for the information. We are still undecided. Going to SC Sunday to look at one. Please keep information coming on what to look out for or any concerns. Would really like a 3400rl, but they are hard to find. Plug for Hook: he has been working overtime trying to find me something. Thanks my brother for what you are doing. I would recommend him to anybody.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Steve, I think you would be happier with the 3400RL or the 3402 model verus the 3100RL....both have a little more room and more counter space for the chef...I mean Carla....lol...plus if you are on the road you can still get to the frig and bath with the slides closed if you need to stop for a short quick lunch etc...I would settle for only what you really want.....also...we hate to be missing everyone at the mid Atlantic rally but Emmy and I will be in PEI during that time....if we don't meet you on the road somewhere.. Maybe next years rally....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #9
davidfrafaly
Established Member

M.O.C. #12355
Steve, You have to decide which floor plan is best for you. Then go for it. We were looking for the 3400Rl. Had been in a bunch. When we went in the 3100RL it just felt right "for us". We like the openness of the floor plan. sacrifice some work kitchen workspace though. We like that it is a little shorter 3'? We are weekend warriors... 15 or so trips last year. Loved every minute in the 3100RL. Very minor warranty issues, all taken care of at dealer (Southern RV in Richmond). Good luck. Be patient and get the right 5ver for you.
davidfrafaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have had our 3100 for over 1.5 years now and still really love it! We have also been full timing in it for 7 months now and have put on almost 6 thousand miles. We love the open floor plan and all of the room. It is just the wife and I, along with a cat and a 120 lb. Chocolate Lab. We really looked hard at the larger Montanas but are not disappointed with this model at all. The 3100 is a lot easier to maneuver into tight spaces and tows like a dream. We would highly recomend this model. We have made a few modifications to it from ideas here on the MOC and are about to add a Wingard Traveler Satilite Dish to the roof.

Good luck in your search.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Well...I won't repeat what my husband Bobcat92 said but I want to confirm that you make sure you do not need access to the kitchen or dining room without the slides popped out. It has NOT been a problem for us. I LOVE the floor plan and do not find the kitchen cramped at all. I have had 7 people in my 3100RL and have prepared dinner for all of them and had NO issues. The one reason we did not choose the 3400 or other models was because of the added weight, length, and height. We have some campsites that we like to go to that the larger models would prevent us from using. If we were full-timing we might feel differently but for our 2week long stays the 3100RL is more than enough model for us. The good thing is that you are taking your time and will find the model that suits your needs best! We, for example, did NOT like having to walk through the bathrooms to get to our bedroom so that is what ruled out a lot of models for us. Have fun choosing the one that meets your needs and best of luck!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
We have decided to buy the 3100 that we went to look at yesterday. Got a great price and it has all of the bells and whistles. Not concerned about getting to kitchen with slides closed as I once was. Since you can only open one slide partially without the others, it isn't a problem. Can't wait to sleep in a king bed, fill up the double fridge, open the awning electronically and have a/c in the bedroom. But most of all, pushing a couple buttons and letting it level itself. The size is the same as our current one so I don't have to extend our rv cover. Looking forward to a great camping season. Thanks for all of the comments.