Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
3M™ Black Chrome Automotive Window Films

I am wondering if anyone has installed this 3M film to the skylight over the shower to block some of the heat and light? I am looking for a permanent solution and thought this might work.

CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ron-- Hey I like that name! We installed the dark auto film on the shower skylight and it worked quite well. We put it on the inner dome instead of the outer dome. It is not easy because of the curvature of the dome. We had to cut it in numerous places and overlap it. We also have a piece of the silver bubble wrap(like that used for car windshield sun blockers) velcro'd to the inside trim and it has worked really well at both keeping the heat and the light out of the unit. We have a 2004 unit and I'll be replacing the whole skylight come next week or so because the inside trim is cracking and had gotten brittle really bad. I've checked into the skylights and I'll be replacing it with a smoke colored unit instead of the clear. I'll try and post some pictures when I work on it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't think I'd use the film unless you do some investigation. I've read so many times that putting light or reflective film on dual panes of anything can cause the area between the panes to overheat and cause some expansion that might cause seals to separate or something like that. I'd hope that with plastic domes there might be some expansion of the plastic enough to prevent a seal problem but I wouldn't know.

For those of you who have done this, did you check for this phenomenon? Were you able to verify this would not be the case, or are you just taking a chance? If not, you might want to be aware of this possibility and you might want to check for cracks and leaks just in case.

We don't have the smoked version of the skylight so we use silver bubble wrap attached with good sizes of hook and loop at the frame of the skylight, but mostly at night and to keep out the next morning's sun. While there might be some buildup of heat and pressure between the silver stuff and the skylight, I'm hoping there would be enough hot air able to escape between the seams of this cover to prevent a problem. Only time will tell, but so far there is nothing bad to see.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We just did the Velcro on the corners attaching the windshield sunscreen. It seems to work great. Time will tell. So far, so good.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I was thinking of having it put on the outside (rooftop) of the skylight so the heat would be reflected before it hit the inside of the skylight to keep it cooler and from trapping the heat against the inside dome where I would see it create an issue eventually. I have a call into the 3M guy who installs this stuff to see what he thinks before I do anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I'm getting ready to White Krylon mine. Make it white and it should be ok. I did my side window visors before and they came out great. Just light sand with 150 grit and spray away. The sun won't be able to ruin it either. I've never heard of anyone using film on the outside. Our last Montana we did as Art. It worked great too.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I live with the Shower Sunlight as it drys all our towels and they in turn block some of the light.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We put bubble wrap in between the inner and outer domes. You just take the inner dome down and put some bubble wrap in there and it cuts the bright light down but still lets some light in.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

We just did the Velcro on the corners attaching the windshield sunscreen. It seems to work great. Time will tell. So far, so good.
We did the same used a Sun Blocl material we purchased at Jo Ann fabric abig help during 90 degree temps this summer in Pittsburgh.

This works well and can be removed in seconds
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Thank you all for your suggestions -
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The velcro in the shower skylight did not work over time. We used industrial velcro and in time the mosture got to it and it fell off, We just purchased thet 3 M stuff mentioned above and we have Rv friends that have used it on single pane windows and the shower skylight with no problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #12
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
I used this spray on my cab lights and wonder if something like this would work on skylights.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just remember the skylight material is NOT glass. You need to have a product that will work with glass. Some of the vinyl material does not work well with glass. The best place to find out what will and won't work is to go to a auto detailing place and ask them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I did check with 3M and Kwik Shade and both said that they would NOT recommend using their film on plastic.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I decided to try the "Solar Entry Door Window/Skylight Cover, 24" x 16" from Camping World using the Mirror Brackets as recommended by MOC member. That way it can be easily removed when we want the light and warmth. We'll see how it works!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I made a curtain from some semi sheer fabric and installed with 2 expansion rods. Put the rods on lengthwise and made my fabric about 2 1/2 times the length of the skylight so that it would gather and not just be a straight piece. Have done this for years and they have never fallen down. Helps keep heat out without cutting out all the light.. Just use whatever fabric thickness you desire to cut down light. It also looks pretty good. Hope this helps for an idea.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Been trying to get the Velcro to stick for the pleated aluminum, but not having much luck. The heat here does a number on it and it ends up on the floor of the shower.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I found a good way to get the pleated or silver sunshade to hook over the skylight. I bought the Command hooks that have an opening in the center. I used the sticky back as well as unscrewing the shylight screws and fitting the hook under the screw (in case the sticky doesn't hold) and then I can just slide the sunshade into the hooks and it holds great without looking bad.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We just had the 3m Film installed on our Big Back Window to cut down on the heat generated. It is rated to reduce up to 74% of the heat. Now I need to go park in the sun and see if it works...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ron and Cathie-- I had to replace our inside dome this last week in the shower because it had turned yellow and started to get brittle and crack from the heat and sun over the years. I had replied to your original post earlier and told you we had used the dark auto tinting film on our inside dome. I took that inside dome down and the film was still intact and had not changed at all. In fact, I couldn't even peel it off the old dome. I went to the auto parts store and picked up something like rconkin posted. I asked for a spray-on tint that they used to make but the salesman told me they don't make it for windows anymore BUT they do make one for tinting the taillight lenses. I bought a can and it is the the same as rconkin posted. I asked if it would work on clear plastic and the salesman said the taillight lenses are plastic, so why not? I took it home and when I removed the inner dome I cleaned the inside of the outer dome good and sprayed the inside with the tint. I sprayed it three different times until I thought it was dark enough. I then put the dark window film on the outside(top)of the new interdome(they are now flat on the top instead of domed like my old one was) then installed it in the shower. I could see NO light coming through the shower dome at all! I've got 10 high output lights in the ceiling of my new Monte home and there are no shadows anywhere because of the intensity of the lights and and still nothing coming through the shower dome. I hooked up and pulled it out into the noonday sun and still no light coming through. Guess we'll see what happens in two weeks when we head for Ohio with the Monte. I'm also going to use the foiled bubblewrap velcroed over the shower dome opening to keep out the heat. I'll post what the results are a couple days after Labor Day so stay tuned!! Anyone at the Fall Rally is invited to take a look at it when we have the Show and Tell also if they like!

steelpony5555- You can staple the velcro to the bubblewrap and put the velcro on the dome under the screws and they will both hold! Give it a try-- it works!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote