Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
herkojerko

M.O.C. #9879
brake problem

I have a 2006 f350 with a factory brake controller. I have been getting trailer fault messages when I hit the brakes. With it hooked to the truck I get brakes when just manually using the controller. But when pressing the brake pedal I get no trailer brakes. The local ford dealer tested it and said there was nothing wrong with the truck. I hooked another truck to the trailer and the brakes work fine. Any ideas. Thanks

herkojerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
The manual slide and the regular brake work off the same wire (blue). If the manual works and the pedal doesn't, it's either the controller or the wiring from the pickup brake actuator to the plug that your controller plugs in to.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If you hooked another truck to the trailer and the trailer brakes worked fine, then that would lead me to believe something could still be wrong with the truck. Use a twelve volt tester and check each line at the truck plug. If current is there, that would lead me to believe a trailer problem. Check the trailer connects for current in similiar fashion. That should guide you to either a truck or trailer problem. I would check the trailer connections, particularly the wiring harness where it connects under the king pin, and the plug itself. Look for corrosion, bent or missing connecting clips in the plug. If you have an inbed connection as well as the stock ford bumper connection, check both. Inspect the plug on the truck in similiar fashion. Is the trailer harness plug mating correctly with the truck plug when you hookup. Check the wiring harness under the rear bumper for any loose connections, frayed wires, or shorts. Are all your lights on the trailer functioning properly. The last two times I got trailer fault messages on my old 2005 F350 they were caused by(1) bad connection where my inbed plug was spliced into the stock harness affecting both plugs on the truck, and (2) plug on the trailer harness was not connecting properly when plugged into the truck and vibration would cause intermittent connection failure. If everything is a go re current connections, I would go back to the Ford dealer and tell him the controller itself is suspect. That the process I would go through, but there is probably a smart electrician on the forum who has a much simpler testing methodology.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sound like the connection from the brake pedal and controller is bad
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
herkojerko

M.O.C. #9879
Thanks for all you answers. testing at the truck receptacle pin for trailer brakes I get voltage when manually applying the brakes. When pressing the pedal there is no voltage. The mechanic says that the truck wont send voltage to the pin realizing that there is no trailer. His tester has a resister in it to make it think it is hooked up.
herkojerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Sounds to me like a different mechanic is in order....
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote