Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
TR6 Rims

Hopefully someone can clear up some of the confusion on another forum for me. Correct me if I am wrong. The TR6 rims that are on the older Montana fifth wheel around 2006-2009 were rated anywhere from 3042 to 3500 lbs @ 80 psi . The 2006 were 3042, and mine 2008 is 3500. According to this forum the TR6 rim was rerated for 3750 @ 110 psi. , but later changed back to 80 psi because of some cracking.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
The TR6 rims I took off my rig were rated for 3500#s. I replaced them with steel rims rated at 3750 so I could put tires rated up to 110#s on the Monty. The back of the rims are stamped for the load they can handle.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The change in rating was due to an improper increase in rating by someone at Tredit.
The way they did it was to test a rim in a certain batch. They destroyed the mold that made the rims with the 80# rating, someone at Tredit thought it would be OK to send out stickers for the 110#, but later reversed that action, because they no longer had the mold to test.
There was also some cracking, but I think that was just a few bad, or weak rims, not a result of any bad batch.
I called the guy from Tredit, and that...as I remember was the story behind it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is the email I sent him, he got back to me by phone with the answers

Mark,
Thanks for contacting me.
We, as a group are having a hard time with Tredit's stance on the wheels, first the stated pressure ratings are max: 80#, then Tredit came out and told the members at a rally that they re-rated them at 110#, so many members went out and bought 110# tires, the Goodyear, and also Michelin tires.
I and many others are ready to buy new tires, but just recently, Jennifer from Tredit started telling folks that requested new stickers that they re-checked the wheels and now the rating is back down to 80#.
The many, many members of the MOC group now are wondering if the wheels are safe with the 110# tires they bought and installed.
Many Keystone products owners have gone to the LT tires, higher pressures, better tires in their opinion. (Mine as well.)
My problem is that Tredit won't explain all this mess. Are the hundreds of increased pressure stickers and letters no good now? Does it depend on the wheel, some OK, some not? The members are confused and more than a little upset by this.
I guess I am just the guy that is writing about it.
My last #'s are: 7470058 I want the 110# tires. I have the stickers and the letter... but I do not know if that is good information now.
Also some people are upset that the cracked rims were replaced, but now they have 3, or 2 that do not match, visually, and possibly weight rated.
We don't know, because Tredit won't clarify any of this.
That is why I was told that you are a trusted guy with Keystone and for me to contact you, you have many friends out here.
I doesn't do Keystone any good to have 5,000 ambassadors that are not happy out here.
Thanks, Jim
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote