Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
DEFLATED BED NOT GOOD FOR GUESTS

We really do like our air-bed sofa and do use it on a regular basis. It is so much more comfortable than the hide-a-bed sofas they used to put in our rigs. But on our last trip, when we had mom and one her friends with us, the original air mattress would not longer hold air overnight. We have always been careful when folding the mattress back up and storing it while attached to the bed, but by the morning it would be about 1/4 -1/2 deflated. We searched and searched, but could not find any leaks anywhere. The only other thing that we could figure was perhaps it was a defective valve in the built-in pump portion of the mattress.

So I called Flair Interiors at (574) 534-2163 and after talking with customer service was directed to the area of their website where I could order a replacement ($100 for the Queen Mattress and $27 and change for shipping). It arrived Monday and so far so good.

We had what was considered to be the "old style" mattress which had a fabric top and black vinyl on the sides and bottom. This new one is all a tan color and the same material is used for the entire mattress.

While I thought the original was constructed well and had held up good, the seams on this new one appear to be much better and the overall material seems a bit heavier duty. Another thing I like about the new one is it's a direct replacement for the original which can either be left attached to the sofa or it also has a storage bag the mattress can be stored in. Also, not only did it come with the built in 110v pump it also has a battery powered pump (4 "D" cells, not included) to pump up the mattress if you don't have shore power.

I suppose time will tell how well this new design holds up.

Jack

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The air mattress in the 2013 Big sky seems to be made of heavy material and does not store , that is fold up in the bed when not in use. It is actually stored on the back of the rear cushions..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I bought a Coleman air mattress and a battery operated air pump. Place it over the deflated original. Works great!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have a 2010 3000RK and have used the air mattress once after purchasing the trailer. It was about half deflated the next morning after having a friend sleep on it for the first time. These mattresses are not acceptable if they can't do any better than that. Just one more reason I am very disappointe in the quality of products used in our trailers. Way too many items fail after the one year warranty and we are stuck with replacing them at our cost. Having to spend $100 plus shipping IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and a crappy way to run a business. We should have much better service than what some of these products give us.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
we've used ours on every trip so far in our 2011 without any issues. Maybe we are lucky, for once.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
After I read "richfaa's" post above, I went back out to the rig and the bag the mattress came in can be attached to the sofa and then the bed folded up and stored in it when deflated and not in use. Our old one was not designed like this. This feature should significantly reduce the possibility of pinching the mattress when folding up the bed IMHO of course.

Jack
Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

We have a 2010 3000RK and have used the air mattress once after purchasing the trailer. It was about half deflated the next morning after having a friend sleep on it for the first time. These mattresses are not acceptable if they can't do any better than that. Just one more reason I am very disappointe in the quality of products used in our trailers. Way too many items fail after the one year warranty and we are stuck with replacing them at our cost. Having to spend $100 plus shipping IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and a crappy way to run a business. We should have much better service than what some of these products give us.
Sorry yours did not work out for you. Ours served us well for about 3.5 years (we picked up our rig in early 09). When we got it home we inflated the mattress and slept on it and no problems then. We have used it several times over the years and not had issues.

Do I wish I didn't have to replace it? Yes. I am guessing you didn't catch the defect until after the 1 year warranty expired. There are a number of items on these trailers that are also covered by the manufacturer's warranty which may be longer than the 1 year warranty Keystone offers. Unfortunately the air mattress for the sofa isn't one of them There are other replacement options out there that may be less $$$, but we opted to go for the Flair system because we are familiar with it, it is comfortable and we can store it without taking up room in the drawer below the sofa.

r,
Jack