Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Receiver hitch

Is it possible to add receiver hitch to 2006 Monty 3500RL? It would make it easier to add the bike rack and take bicycles with us.

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Should be, the dealer nearest us puts them on for folks.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Bikes are about all the weight the rear of the Montana can handle.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a 2 inch receiver hitch made for us by Mor Ryde on our 2006 3400 and installed by them several years ago. No problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This subject has been discussed numerous times with many different opinions. For the past two weeks I have observed several different fifth wheels (many make by keystone) towing boats, trailers with jeeps on them, trucks, cars etc. I have come to the conclusion that hitches can be installed on the frame of any fifth wheel to tow most anything of size and weight. Caveat, state law may prohibit some configurations.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
Ultimately, I want to add two receivers to our new Monty so I can take my motorcycle with us. Fast Master Products, Inc. makes a swivel wheel trailer just for this purpose. Here's a link http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html Note they show it hooked up to a Montana!!

Agree with Mike...technically, this is not a trailer, but an extension to the 5th wheel or whatever vehicle it is attached to. Overall length is the big issue. Believe 65 feet is the magic number.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
I had two receiver hitches added to my 2955 and this past winter and carried my DR 200 motorcycle (260 lbs.) with no problems. They were attached to the center of the I beams of the coach and a 4' square tube running parallel to the the back of the coach that the receiver tubes were welded to. I wanted two attach points for my motorcycle rack rather than just one to eliminate rocking motion.

As a side note, the trailer mentioned above is not legal in Oregon, you will get stopped.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
Greg, I have a friend who is a Deputy Sheriff with Marion County. We have had several discussions about this. He said will probably end up with the officer's interpretation of what is and isn't legal. We live in Albany, OR. Funny how they allow triple trailers on the big rigs and would consider this illegal!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
ugh,
I have a bolt on Hidden Hitch. Hidden Hitch I only use it for bicycles. Originally I had it on the 08 2955RL, then moved it to the 2010 3150RL which came with the smaller receiver. I wanted the 2" receiver which the Hidden Hitch had to match my bicycle rack.
The hidden hitch bolts to the frame. I did not have a welding shop close at the time I bought it, so the bolt on method was the most convenient for me.
You did mention you wanted a hitch to carry a bicycle rack.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There are two lengths to worry about for a trailer with any extension and each state might have different numbers. The first number is overall length of the trailer itself when everything is installed and mounted. The second number is the towed length, that is, the first number plus the overall length of the towable. Someone mentioned 65ft but there are other numbers to know.

Other considerations might include the distance of the bumper as it extends past the truck and also the items that extend past the bumper and such. More times than not these numbers are described in many places besides state DMV numbers and Federal guidelines as well.

More times than not, getting a hitch system attached to the rig properly and with the proper support (bolts or welded), then adding bicycles are covered just fine, but there are LEOs that just might cause a concern, but it's for the right overall reason - Safety and lawful compliance.

In the OP's case a welding shop or trailer shop with a good reputation for satisfying what you need is the best bet and a common solution and much better than lashing the bikes to the ladder. I would also recommend that today you just want bikes but you might just want to spend a little more and get more capability, like for other common items to put back there too, such as a generator or two, extra fuel, a portable dump tank. These items don't weigh much when static but at the back of a trailer and bouncing down the road they can weigh a lot more which is why it must be done right!

I hope you post your result. There have been many great solutions.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

ugh,
I have a bolt on Hidden Hitch. Hidden Hitch I only use it for bicycles. Originally I had it on the 08 2955RL, then moved it to the 2010 3150RL which came with the smaller receiver. I wanted the 2" receiver which the Hidden Hitch had to match my bicycle rack.
The hidden hitch bolts to the frame. I did not have a welding shop close at the time I bought it, so the bolt on method was the most convenient for me.
You did mention you wanted a hitch to carry a bicycle rack.
Joe
That is exactly what I needed. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lippert was concerned about the twisting action on the frame because of folks carrying heavy loads. The 1/1/2 inch hitch is about useless as it is to flimsy and to close to the rear of the Rv to carry anything. We have seen folks carry ridiculous loads back there. We will throw this flimsy hitch away and get a real 2 inch hitch installed. All we want to do is haul a couple of bikes. we had a 2 inch hitch installed on our 06 3400.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Yes, all we want to put back there are bikes.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We beefed up the 1-1/2" hitch (see thread elsewhere) with reasonable success. In retrospect, I would do as Rich did and get a 2" added on. Also, the Swagman low bike rack is waaaaayyyy better for us than the "gooseneck" bike rack we started with because of the minimal lever length. The long goose-neck amplified the rotation of the stock and the beefed up hitches.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
After my post on this thread, something else came to mind. When I had the closet panel breakage and slanted front closet board spitting its nails out, I ask keystone to check for frame flex and they had my dealer do so. The first thing keystone asked my dealer to check was to see if I had a beefed up hitch installed on the rear frame. Didn't dawn on me until later that keystone must have issues with us putting alot of weight on the rear frame. Hope one of the experienced folks can add to this.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The issue is folks hauling outrageous loads back there then blaming keystone when something breaks.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Keystone appears to be reasonable when looking at hitches beefed up by end users. While at the Service Center last year, the people next to us at Camp Keystone had a trailer for their motorcycle and were told that frame issues would not be covered; on the other hand, our generator carrier didn't faze them.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 2 inch hitch was in full view of all at the service center as was our two bike rack. These folks are not fools and they have seen everything more than once.