Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
New England fall color run

Before we pack up and move to the Rockies, DW and I would like to check out the east. We've never been and this might be our last shot. Any suggestions on how to best utilize 6 weeks or so checking out Vermont, Maine, etc. For the last couple of years we've just kind of been wandering around out west putting our big carbon diesel footprint on the land. It's been fun but not very practical. Any suggestions on routes, places to stay, things not to miss, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Acadia National Park is great.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I have been in New England for many October "leaf peepings." If I had 6 weeks, I would consider the following:
- check on an internet site for peak foliage dates and start my trip in Maine. Stay about a week or two in each area to save fuel cost. Acadia National Park is fabulous. Possibly start further north around the higher elevations (Moosehead Lake area) and work towards Acadia.
- from Acadia, I would travel to Mt. Washington, NH area and work my way south to Lake Winnipesaukee.
- then work your way over to Vermont and Route 100. Great area to spend time and see the sugar maples with their reds, oranges, and yellows and the Vermont Country Store.
- if time, work your way to the Adirondacks and Lake George area in northern New York.

The most difficult part is the timing of foliage and the pre-reserving of the most popular time of year in this area. Good luck on a great trip. If planned correctly, you should be able to pick your "home locations" and travel out from there...saving fuel by driving w/o your Montana.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Hope this topic continues with a lot of different suggestions and ideas. We are not done with seeing everything out west yet but want to see some of the east also. I will be following this one closely and making notes.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
The White Mountains of New Hampshire are my "backyard"! We are up there frequently. My father and Grandparents parents grew up in North Conway. Been going there for years. If I can help, please fire away! I realize it is January, but some of the larger campgrounds have already been booking for that time of the season.

Eric
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We did a Northeast-Maritime Canada trip in 2011. We took about 3 months with nice stops in New England--caught a few trees as we headed further south--Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. From my trip planning, it appeared that the peak leaf popping happens most of the time after many RV parks in the area close up for the season--also lots of seasonal campers who leave their rigs at parks all year. Even so--we were a 3 rig group and got in where we wanted in the summer and REALLY enjoyed the entire time. The National Parks and Revolutionary Battle Grounds were just spectacular! Hope you make the trip and enjoy every minute! Check out our trip journal for photos/journals of our trip.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote