Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
LP Gas monitor

I installed this type of LP gas monitor on the 3400. It let's you know when the regulator has switched tanks.

http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.a...showprevnext=1

I mounted the monitor low on the wall in the bathroom running the wire up through the furnace register hole. When I run out of LP in one tank and the regulator indicator goes red a light on the monitor flashes letting me know I have an empty tank. The light will continue to flash until you flip the regulator lever to the full tank.

Now I wont have to check inside the LP compartment to see if we have an empty tank or not (I always seem to forget)

I found mine at a local dealer for under $30.00. The install was really easy. You remove the black cap from the top of the bubble indicator on the regulator (glass tube w/ red/green indicator inside) and replace it with the wired cap/sensor of the unit. Mount the monitor inside the 5er and route the wires to the sensor and wire it up.

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Had one of these for over 5 years now. Works great.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had one, too, since January 2003. I moved it to this Montana when we traded. Phil, you're gonna love that thing. Two tips for you, if I may. First, when the light stays on fulltime rather than flashing, that apparently is the signal that the batteries are low. I think it only does that when it would otherwise be flashing. Our batteries last 12 to 15 months.

Second tip - if yours is mounted in the bedroom like ours is, that flashing light is bright. It doesn't wake me up but it does keep me from getting back to sleep. A heavy sock fits nicely over it! I could always go out and flip the regulator switch but I've had this thing start flashing when it's five below zero outside and I'm in my jammies. Going outside is guaranteed to wake me up so the sock is a workable alternative until morning!

By the way, this works with the style of Marshall regulator on our 2007 Montana and the earlier ones. At some point Keystone moved to a different regulator and this won't work with them. The regulator it works with looks like this. When you remove the black cap, there is a small hole in the top of the clear cylinder. The plunger for the new piece goes in that hole. If yours doesn't have the hole, it won't work.

Also, this detector/flasher thing is made by Marshall Brass, the same people who made the regulator, so there's no concern about removing the original black cap, etc.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, can you still see the red and green if you look into the compartment?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
For some reason my propane tank switch over isn't working. The last time this happened I actually had to take the tank from the other side and put it in the working side. Have there been any reported problems with this valve. I talked with another camper and he had same problem with his. Looking at his valve, and comparing it was the same valve. He had to replace his. Is the 2007 Montana's having this problem? Or am I just the lucky one thsi time... lol.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Dave,

Several of us have had problems with the LP systems. The factory reset the pressure on mine, said it was 9 and it should be 11? I'm still having problems though. Mine will switch over and then as the level of the tank falls (in a few days) the furnace will quit igniting until I switch to the other side tank. The problem always occurs when it's set on the passenger side tank. Still have not gotten to the root of the problem but still working on it.

Steve,

Thanks for the pointers! I just happen to have an odd ball sock that lost it's mate. I was going to throw it away but will keep it so I can sleep.

Dennis,

Yes you can still see the red/green indicator.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, as Phil said, yes you can still see the red/green.

Dave, our regulator was also just replaced last week when the service center noted pressure was 9 and should be 11 psi, just like Phil's. Apparently ours couldn't be properly reset so they replaced the regulator.

Dave, also check out the little red regulator on the side opposite the regulator side. Many of us have had problems with that little red regulator. It's purpose is to limit the pressure. Otherwise if you open the bottle on that side too quickly the bottle thinks there is a leak because of the volume it takes to fill the long pipe in a short time. Then the safety valve in the tank shuts off the flow. You have to remove the tank and turn it upside down for a few minutes to get it to reset. The red regulator is supposed to stop that from happening but many have had problems with that little regulator. After we replaced ours twice I found an adapter and replaced the red regulator with the adapter. End of problem. I just open the tank on that side very slowly. If you decide to replace, take the regulator with you as you'll need an adapter with a male of one size and female of another size. Ace Hardware had the correct size brass adapter. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's had it when I looked.

I don't know which regulator is likely the problem in yours but it sounds like that red regulator to me. We have the same year and model as you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Steve, thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Saves a lot of what if's for me. Will check it out this weekend.

Thanks again
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote