Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
? re switch for bathroom fan

I want to install a switch for the bathroom fan next to the light switch. Has anyone done this? If so, how did you fish the wires?

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
My 2955 already has a switch for the fan in that area. It has a Fan-tastic fan in the bath room..... Although what you want to do can be done. You can add the switch and splice it off of the Fantastic switch. It would be rather easy to do.......JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

My 2955 already has a switch for the fan in that area. It has a Fan-tastic fan in the bath room..... Although what you want to do can be done. You can add the switch and splice it off of the Fantastic switch. It would be rather easy to do.......JB
Thank you for your reply. We don't have a Fan-tastic fan in the bathroom. We just have one that has a push button switch on the fan at the ceiling.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
You can do the same thing on your bathroom fan. Fish a pair of wires from the fan down the wall from the fan. Leave the button switch on and put a switch at the end of the wires. you'll still have to crank the vent open. I changed my vent out to a Fantastic fan. turn the wall switch on, the vent opens and the fan comes on. switch off, vent shuts and the fan shuts off. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
You can fish a wire down the wall if you want to put in a regular 110v switch like you would have on stick house lights. I think your fan is 12 volt, but a regular switch will work. You need to run the wire from the fan to the switch and back to the fan or the power source. All the switch will do is break the circuit. This is one of those things that I wish I was there. It would be easy to help you with instead of trying to explain it on a laptop in a KOA campground in Branson... Hope it helps....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks to both of you. I know how to hook up the electrical part. I'm just not sure how to get the wires inside the wall and fish them down so they don't show. I probably should have explained better. I'm used to fishing wires in a stick house, but am wondering how to do it in the Monty without tearing the wall up.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Not sure you want to tackle that, Footloose. I am going to do something similar, but I planned on running the wires down the outside of the wall - not sure where yet - to the light switch. I believe I can make it as unobtrusive as possible this way.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I ran the wires down the inside beside the door trim and installed a switch beside the toilet on the door wall. You can purchase a surface mount switch.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I took the light switch loose, and the wires. Took the light loose to see the wires. Tied a string to the wires and pulled the wires up to the light.. Taped two new wires to the string and pulled the wires back down the wall. ran the other end of the wires to the fan and put another matching switch beside the wall switch. Worked for me. Like JB said, would be easier to show you rather than try to explain on line. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

I took the light switch loose, and the wires. Took the light loose to see the wires. Tied a string to the wires and pulled the wires up to the light.. Taped two new wires to the string and pulled the wires back down the wall. ran the other end of the wires to the fan and put another matching switch beside the wall switch. Worked for me. Like JB said, would be easier to show you rather than try to explain on line. Kerry
Perfect! That's what I'm going to do. Several heads are always better than one. Thanks all of you for your comments.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a 3000RK with no light switch in water closet. I put a double wall switch inside the water closet. I'm not sure what trailer you have, but what I did was pull the fan trim off and then went in to the bedroom side of the wall, pulled the smoke detector and drilled a 1/2" hole thru the wall, up thur the top plate and into the area above the bath cieling. You can then fish a wire from the light and the fan down the wall below the smoke detector to a hole you cut for a switch.
Took me about two hours to complete.

Good luck
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

I have a 3000RK with no light switch in water closet. I put a double wall switch inside the water closet. I'm not sure what trailer you have, but what I did was pull the fan trim off and then went in to the bedroom side of the wall, pulled the smoke detector and drilled a 1/2" hole thru the wall, up thur the top plate and into the area above the bath cieling. You can then fish a wire from the light and the fan down the wall below the smoke detector to a hole you cut for a switch.
Took me about two hours to complete.

Good luck

Thanks for the idea. We have a 2010 3075RL Montana. We have a light switch in the water closet. No smoke detector anywhere near there. I think the previous idea will work for us. Am waiting until we get to my buddy's place where he has a full shop -- easier with lots of tools available.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I replaced the push button switch with a pull switch, like in a ceiling fan switch, with chain & decorative fan pull knobby thing. Will do what you are going to do when I can quit working and full time.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote