Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Jelly Fish (plus spineless lawyers)

I think these are known as Cannonball Jellyfish. Fulton Harbor is full of these. Quite a few in the bay also. I suppose the storm the other day washed them in.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
The last time I was required to visit at the sewage treatment plant they had a different name for them....:} :}
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have been queried as to why I would make such a comment on a nice pic by Slickwillie.....explanation required?? I spent my working career as a Police Officer in Toronto...I had a workmate drop in last week and reminiscing took over...I was showing my pal some of my RV forums.. he saw the pic and broke out into hysterics...we(he and I) chased down this armed and wanted criminal.. he figured the sewage plant was a good hiding spot..it wasnt...when confronted he was on a gangway over the "pool" and it strongly represented the pic submitted by slickwillie(other than colour,smell and assorted other floaties)...he indicated that he would jump...go ahead, it would take the Fire Dept 10 minutes to get to him,, we werent a rescue unit.....he reached into his coat for a weapon..he was advised that falling into the soup with more holes in him than God gave him was not a good idea.. he tossed a weapon of some kind...never did go looking for it and he then gave up.....sorry if anyone considered the original post crude,. hopefully the explanation will relieve it....Don
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you have the opportunity to visit the waterways of the Gulf Coast, carry a small bottle of ammonia with you. If you get stung you can apply ammonia and relieve the pain. (On the other crude side, you can do #1 on it and get the same effect and possibly a punch in the nose - from SCUBA diving days)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great pic. I've actually never seen a real jellyfish, let alone a swarm of them. I assume this is a temporary thing?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Great pic. I've actually never seen a real jellyfish, let alone a swarm of them. I assume this is a temporary thing?
I'm not sure Brad. I never saw these over at Aransas Pass. I had seen a few off the Fulton Pier, but never this many. These don't have the tentacles of the jelly fish we typically saw over around AP. Perhaps it is a seasonal thing (so many). I will try to learn more from the locals.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The Cannonball jellyfish doesn't have stingers as other type jellyfish. It does have some kind of mucus it can release when it comes in contact with human skin and can be an irritant but not the same as a stinger.FYI. The Japanese and other Asians love these as a food source. I also think Americans are now eating them as well...some folks that is! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My ex-wife hired one to represent her during our divorce. It didn't have any tentacles or a spine either
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

My ex-wife hired one to represent her during our divorce. It didn't have any tentacles or a spine either
Sounds like he left a pretty bad burn mark, though, Dave...

Sorry, that may not have been funny...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

The Cannonball jellyfish doesn't have stingers as other type jellyfish. It does have some kind of mucus it can release when it comes in contact with human skin and can be an irritant but not the same as a stinger.FYI. The Japanese and other Asians love these as a food source. I also think Americans are now eating them as well...some folks that is! Dennis
HA! DW and I were commenting on the thought that those might be edible last evening as we walked near the harbor.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

HA! DW and I were commenting on the thought that those might be edible last evening as we walked near the harbor.
Well, they may be edible, but I now can't get the picture of them floating around in a sewer pond out of my head.

Maybe they can be turned into an energy source?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #12
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Is this turning into a food fight???? :}
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
dsprik, in answer to your post last night, it wasn't painful at all. My lawyer was the daughter of a Cuban refugee and she was a barracuda. The ex's had no spine or [s]testicles[/s], tentacles. It was a win/win situation on my side Dave
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

dsprik, in answer to your post last night, it wasn't painful at all. My lawyer was the daughter of a Cuban refugee and she was a barracuda. The ex's had no spine or [s]testicles[/s], tentacles. It was a win/win situation on my side Dave
How can 2 lawyers (both alive) be called a win-win? g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Anytime you get to keep your house, car, kid, and most of your money is win/win.. Dave
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
This has become a hilarious thread!! Many seeing the subject line will really miss out!!! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

This has become a hilarious thread!! Many seeing the subject line will really miss out!!! Dennis
OK, I edited the topic title....we'll see.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is absolutely no such thing called a spinless lawyer!!! They spin everything, this is no disrespect to any lawyers who belong to the Moc, the job entails spinning!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have had my share of "dealings" with lawyers....only a couple deserved a sleazebag rating..The ex's lawyer was so upset that she was coming after me again he called me(anonamously) in the middle of the nite to tell me what she was about to make him do.....gave me time to cut it off at the pass and escape with some of my ass-etts intact..
Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:

I'm thinking about jellyfish going thru a LOUVERED tailgate. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote