Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Better Mileage with F450 2008 Super Duty Diesel

I'll try to make a long story short. I was talking with a guy who had a F350 2008 super duty diesel and he had mentioned to me that there was a recall for the superdutys that would improve the mileage. I think he stated it was a California Ommisions recall???Well, I called our local dealership to see if there was a recall concerning the superdutys that would improve mileage. My local dealer (whom will remain ononymous because I would not recommend them to anybody) of course stated there is nothing of the sort and they could not help me. I then called the dealership the gentleman recommended which is a newer dealership and not too far away. They did a search on the VIN and stated that there was no recalls currently for my truck. But, they mentioned to bring it in and they could see what they could do to improve the mileage. I took it into the dealership getting roughly 10-11 miles to the gallon driving around town without towing. The mechanic mentioned that they changed a bunch of settings in the computer that shoud help the mileage. Well, since then I have been getting in the 12-13 range so I guess it helped a little and there was no charge. Not bad.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
traveljunkie,

I was told by a salesman at my local Ford dealer that this very thing was coming but he didn't know when. I don't remember him describing it as a recall but I think he called it "reflashing the computer memory" which makes sense to me. He told me he was going to Detroit near the end of the month of June and would probably find out more. He never followed up with me so I don't know what he found out, if anything. At the time, I was thinking of buying a 2008 6.4L SD and had told him that the mileage on the 2008 SD's was troublesome vs my current 2003 F250 7.3L. I have decided against buying a new one. Ford may not be pushing this because there may be a downside that they don't want to talk about. Usually something has to be sacrificed to get better fuel mileage. Next time I'm in for an oil change I'll ask him. I suppose it is possible they are limiting the number of units changed to get a better feel for real results before doing a wholesale change. A 10% improvement in mileage would be worth the hassle of a trip to the dealer, if the downside isn't significant.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
In talking to my service manag3er at my Ford Dealership has been telling me for a year that to keep my 2002. It is 12-13 city driving and 16-18 one the road and 11 pulling our 2980. My co-worker herre at the park has a new 2008 Chev 2500 dually and hea gets about the same milage that I am getting. Apparently Detroit Auto Maker have not been listening to the pubic for the last 40 years. All we hear in the Boston area is H onda. Hard to say. NO-WAY for me.
Think I will stay USA all the way. Have a Food Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no recall for better fuel MPG on the 08 S.D.. There is no re flash for the 08 SD, there is no TSB or advisory bulletin for the 08 SD. There is nothing for the 08 SD diesel.We wwere at out local dealer a few days ago..we looked it up...there is nothing...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
When I went to the dealer he did state that there was no recall for my truck. However, they did take it back in the shop and did something that improved mileage.

As stated in my first post, it does depend on which dealer you go to. I got one answer from one dealer saying there is nothing, and I then I was told from another dealer telling me to bring it in that they might be able to do something. The certified Ford Dealer that helped me out is on Grand Avenue in Gurnee, IL.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
TRAVEL JUNKIE DID YOU SAY THAT ALL YOU GET FOR MILAGE IS 10-11 "NOT "
TOWING??????
SEEMS LIKE A TOWING MILAGE RATEING...........
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A F-450 IF I COULD SWING THE CASH SAW A BLACK F-450 WITH BRITE NEW ALCOAS.FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS TO LAZY TO RETYPE.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Yes, that is correct. With the very limited driving I do with our 450 it is usually very short trips in the city which leads to less MPG. When I have driven it on the highway for extended periods I usually get around 13 or so not towing. But city driving is much different here in Chicago, a lot of stop and go which leads to the 10-11 or so MPG not towing. However, now that I have had the chips re-programmed from the ford dealer, I am now getting a mile ore two better than I did before. I guess if you can afford the truck, you better be able to afford the fuel as well.