Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not interested .... Yet.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Where do I sign up? If it can perform and leave the US automakers fuel economy in the dust I would trade in tomorrow!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 AM   #23
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
How many of you remember the ad that was running not long ago -- two men with their sons, one washing his car outside his house, the other pair in their 'Toyota Tundra' truck -- words of the truck father to the effect of 'Son, I made that house over there'; father washing his car 'Son I made that truck over there'. Purpose was to show the american public that the Toyota was 'American made'; built in Texas (Austin specifically as I recall). The Toyota Corolla is made in Tennessee and several others of their line are made in other states and then exported back to Japan and other places where the model is sold as well as here in the USA.

Bottom line as said earlier in this thread -- we can't go by the name on the decal and know who or where it was built (assembled?). My Dodge was assembled in Mexico, my jeep I believe in Canada but they are US brands. I need to put this soapbox in the garage and stay off it -- thanks for your patience.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #24
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

I am hoping that they make a long bed version. As to buying American, by the time this truck is on the market any one of the "big 3" American companies could be owned by Toyota.

When Chrysler was owned by Mercedes Benz was Dodge still an "American" truck?

winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #25
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

I am hoping that they make a long bed version. As to buying American, by the time this truck is on the market any one of the "big 3" American companies could be owned by Toyota.

When Chrysler was owned by Mercedes Benz was Dodge still an "American" truck?

My Dodge truck was assembled in MX.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #26
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
As a retiree from the Toyota Camry plant (8000 employees there alone) and was resposible for parts, the content of parts made in the US is higher than some other companies. Regardless how you say it, it means Americans have jobs with a pay scale that is enjoyed by all automotive companies.
Don't have any insight but my guess is that truck will be added to the San Antonio, TX Trunda plant.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #27
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Now if they'd just come out with that in a hybrid with 50 mpg !! A prius 350 !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #28
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
My truck was built in Kentucky. The closing of auto plants in Michigan, did it have something to do with th RE market there? It affected the overall % of slow to no home resales statistics nationally. I wonder how many unemployed autoworkers in the USA had a toyota in their own driveway. I have owned and sold American and Foreign in my past life and American is as good as any and better than some. Not to disagree with anyone.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #29
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
No matter where the truck was manufactured there is still a "profit" that goes somewhere. On Japanese models that money is going to Japan and is going to be spent there creating few if any American jobs. Truck may have been manufactured in TN, good that some will benefit, but the profit leaves the USA.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #30
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Jim, you are right. I thought it was a great marketing ploy. "Its American because its made in America" (But the profits go to Japan!)(Or Germany)
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I see a lot of "made in Mexico" tags on my shinny new 08 Ford truck. I do believe that Mexico is a foreign country.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Anyone notice how close the hitch is to the cab or is it just the angle of the picture! If it is as close as it looks it had better have a slider or autoslide on it! ) LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #33
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes Rich there are a lot of American brand TVs and Autos are running around with parts made in Mexico as well as China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Germany just to name a few. And just where do some folks think all the PROFITS go? Well according to some right back to Mexico as well as China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Germany just to name a few.
So in short, Face it Guys, Whether it has an American name or Japanese name or Korean name or German name or French name or British name or what have you the vast majority of all vehicles in the US and Canada are all imports.

Enuff said on this thread, I'm outta here.............................
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #34
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Not exactly sure of your point Glenn. Are you saying it's not something we should try to do anything about? Does it matter that American jobs are moving off shore? Guess it is not that big a deal so I will remain silent if that is the case.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #35
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Glen yes there are some parts on my Chevy Ford & Dodge truck that could be made in other countries. But not the majority. Also they are assembled here. My Chevy 07 in Flint My 95 Ford in Kentucky Sons 04 Ford Kuntucky. Myself if the truck is affordable, works for me I'll take USA over foreign any day of the week.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #36
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
IF YOU ARE SO STRONG TO ONLY BUY USA YOU BETTER STOP BUYING AT WAL-MART AND MOST OTHER BIG RETAILERS AND GO BACK TO THE LITTLE GUY , WHO IS STARVING AND GOING OUT OF BUSSINESS ... THIS GREAT COUNTRY IS ALL GUNG HOO ON CHEEP PRICE AND NO QUALITY, UNTIL ITS BROKE , THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE , SAM WALTON DIDN'T GET TO BE THE BIGGEST BY BUYING GOOD STUFF BUT CHEEP STUFF THAT LOOKS GOOD ADD IT UP ,, WE ARE ALL AT FAULT FOR THIS RECEISION COMING FAST NOW JOHN
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #37
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Sailor, I agree with some of the statements but differ with one. The facts are Sam Walton tried to buy made in USA if at all possible. He did not like unions in general. His ads for quite a while were all about his stores products were made in USA. Now he is dead and the family / board of directors have taken the store in a different direction. Profits and buy from whom ever is cheapest foreign or USA makes no difference seems to be their battle cry.

As far as my comment on unions his store in Schererville Indiana (according to Sam Walton) was the first ever built by union tradesmen. He signed the contract personally and was there to open it. He was pleased with the job.
just a piece of trivia
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #38
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Not interested .... Yet.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #39
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I grew up in Detroit and many of my high school class mates didn't bother with college cause they could make riddiculous amounts of money working in the car factories. The pay and benefits were never enough and the unions always pushed for more......It costs money to shut down a factory and build a new one in Mexico or anywhere else. Companies do extensive studies on "return on INvestment" and recovery periods. If they don't come out ahead money wise in less than 3 years they normally won't go for the deal. Our good ole USA labor rates had companies recovering thier investment costs in less than 2 years.....Who is to blame when the numbers are so overwhelmingly in favor of moving the jobs out of the country.

Good thing most of us have RVs because there are very few hotel chains these days that are not owned at least 50% or greater by outside the US owners. Guess where those profits go. If I could afford to buy American I would as long as the product was comperable but unfortunately I have to often do my own Return on INvestment estimates and go with the best "value" since my means are limited. Maybe one day I can afford the premium that so often comes with many "Made in USA" items and support those whose lifestyle/choices a disagree with.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Be it noted that my Honda is made right here in Ohio by American workers who are paid in American dollars and spend that money in American stores..BUYING THINGS MADE EVERYWHERE BUT IN THE USA. Accept it folks we are living in a global economy and we need to learn how to compete in it..All I know is we need to buy stuff at the least cost that we can. Don't care where it is made.. USA would be fine.. and nobody consulted me on sending jobs over seas.. For the record I dissaprove..but noone is listening.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote