Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
LED Replacements for interior and exterior lights

We had quite a thread going in Quartzsite about LED replacements for the trailer's interior and exterior lights. Dave Andersen and Robbie Simons, who are very much into using solar panels, batteries, and inverters to power their trailers, bought a number of LEDs to replace several types of lights in the trailer.

The existing light bulbs, which are mostly car types, draw quite a bit of power and generate a lot of heat. The replacement LEDs draw a little over 10% of the current, which means less heat, and are nearly as bright. The white LEDs are now available in several shades of white from cool (more of a blue tint) to natural, whatever that means, to soft, or warm, more toward the red end of the spectrum.

After they had spent a bundle on the replacements, I said, why don't you look at
Super Bright LEDs
on the Internet? I'm not promoting this site because it's been years since I bought anything from them, but it shows what's available and gives a benchmark price for everything. A little searching on the Internet should show other sources and maybe some feedback on this particular vendor.

Sometimes it doesn't seem like the easiest site to navigate, but I found a quick way into the pricing structure. Go
Here
to get directly to pricing for car and RV LEDs.

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Bob for posting this info. I suspect a "show and tell" will include a lot of LED lights!

Later.....

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Haven't got into inside LED's but have change out my car hauler inclosed trailer rear lights to LED'S and from the safety point they are excellent. Out (SOB) came with LED's on the exterior and the mid level lights also works as a turn signal. I recomend replacing at the very least the rear lights, turn signals and brake lights. Very easy to change out and will last much longer. We were using the LED's several years back in the Trucking industry. And they take much less current. They do cost more. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I didn't go to LED lights, but I did change out five of the lights with Thin Lites. We have used the Thin Lites for several years in campers and like the light they give off.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Thanks for posting that site Bob.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
When I say LED lights the DW gets a bit fired up. She recalls the white LED Christmas lights that had a purple tint, kind of a funeral cast she says. The reds are real red but I don't think she would appreciate me changing out the exterior lights to red
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

When I say LED lights the DW gets a bit fired up. She recalls the white LED Christmas lights that had a purple tint, kind of a funeral cast she says. The reds are real red but I don't think she would appreciate me changing out the exterior lights to red
Exterior lights to red?

Guess she should maybe look at the website above.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
There's been threads about LEDs over the years. They provide the same amount of lumens (the way to compare the amount of light output by the lamp) as an incandescent lamp for a fraction of the power and have minimum residual heat. The problem is that they're still too costly unless you are an avid dry camper. The additional upside of longevity of LEDs is a plus and if I had the means I'd change every lamp to LEDs today.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Does anyone know if there is a replacement for the Big Sky's halogen lights? They draw even more power and give off more heat than the regular Montana lights.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I installed LEDs in two of the kitchen lights to try them out. DW does not care for the color, kind of a blue white, suppost to be super white. She says she could live with it concidering the amout of energy we would save.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The vendor, superbright LEDs, offers three different color temperature LEDs in several of their product lines. I personally don't like the cool, or blue tint, of LED myself, either. The warmer colors match the eye's response in brighter light and are more comfortable (the brighter the light, the warmer I want it to be). I've used the blue/white LED headlamps while hiking and firefighting, and the brighter they are, the more difficulty I have with depth perception (probably has something to do with age, too, I'll admit), which makes walking in uneven terrain a bit perilous.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for the website!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote