Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Energy

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of the PickensPlan for energy survival. In case you haven't, check this out: www.pickensplan.com

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Listened to his plan, I may be wrong but had thought I heard the number of 2% for all wind and solar power today. In fact here is the number 1% for wind.
http://www.coxwashington.com/news/co...IND13_COX.html
In another article they are talking about getting to 20% by 2030.
http://www.energy.gov/news/6253.htm
Not the 10 years Mr Pickins is stating.
Not saying Mr Pickins plan is good or bad, just doing a little searching on the web.

I agree we need to do something, I lean towards doing more of each, drilling, refineries, renewable and nuk.
Thanks for posting it.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we need to do all of these things and we need a plan.. Do not forget that T.Boone Pickins is a billionare who made his billions in oil (energy) Not saying that his plan is good or bad.. at least it is a plan and is one of the things we need to do. As he said "the first billion is the hardest" and he is in this to make more billions, not out of the goodness of his heart.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, I would agree that he would make billions, But if his plan could change the way America looks at energy production why shouldn't he make billions? I am not against anyone making money as long as the end product is beneficial. Call me naive, but I think there are some people in this world that are not money driven. MAYBE he is one of those. At this point, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I really like his idea of CNG for vehicles. At least he has a plan, I'm not hearing much from the politicos.......
Old 09-04-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well T. Boone Pickens is trying to do something. Unlike some people who don't want to do any thing at all except give excuses or tell us it will take 10 years. T. Boone is a rich man and good for him. Thats the American way. He doesn't have to depend on the Government. I hope he makes a Gaz-Zillion dollars. CNG isn't new, and Propane/Gas was used back in the 80's we had Cars that would run on Propane or Gas, just had to flip a switch. What ever he does at least someone is telling the Truth which is hard to find. We must Drill, Drill any place there is oil, America runs on Oil. And we must not forget there is no Oil shortages. We are selling refined Oil to Canada and Mexico????? And the price stays up???? GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Lets see i have a choice. Pay Middle East countries Gaz-Zillions of dollars for there oil or let an American (T. Boone) make that money and possably spend it here. No brainer, i'll take the Pickens plan even if it might have faults in it that we can work through and break the strangle hold of us needing to import hugh amounts of oil.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
[quoteWe must Drill, Drill any place there is oil, America runs on Oil. And we must not forget there is no Oil shortages. We are selling refined Oil to Canada and Mexico????? And the price stays up???? GBY.....][/quote]

Delaine and Lindy you are right! With today's technology we can drill drill drill in a way that will not harm the environment. Use our own oil. Quit capping our own oil wells. We have enough oil to last hundreds of years. Before we run out of our own resources we will have alternative fuel sources.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are 13 OPEC nations....six of them are in the middle East

.Country Joined OPEC Location
Algeria 1969 Africa
Angola 2007 Africa
Ecuador(**) rejoined 2007 South America
Indonesia 1962 Asia
IR Iran* 1960 Middle East
Iraq* 1960 Middle East
Kuwait* 1960 Middle East
SP Libyan AJ 1962 Africa
Nigeria 1971 Africa
Qatar 1961 Middle East
Saudi Arabia* 1960 Middle East
United Arab Emirates 1967 Middle East
Venezuela* 1960 South America
*founder Members

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I hope He is sincere -- the Rockefellers, Carnege's (spelling???), and now the Gates are examples of where people made their millions off the labors of others, and in later years turned to philantropy... Perhaps Mr. Pickens in now in that stage as well. Yes, he will make money on it but if he is willing to turn it around for the greater good, so be it, and may he be successful in his venture.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have no doubt that Mr. Pickens knows what he's talking about. However, this plan is far in the future. We have to deal with what's going on right now. We need to drill and drill some more to get the World's oil prices to drop. Mr. Pickens doesn't address the problem of coping with all the diesel power we are using in the US as well as the rest of the world. Converting all the diesel engines (trains, big trucks, little trucks, etc.) to some other type of fuel in the near offing just doesn't make the grade. I can't afford an immediate change to my existing diesel engine. And, I believe I'll be long gone before any of this energy plan even begins to come to fruition.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree we should be drilling now. If a certain President hadn't put ANWR off limits 10 years ago, we might not be in this problem now. I'm no engineer but I do know what is happening to my wallet and I don't like it at all. We need a politico who will demand that the congress wake up and do something now. I think ALL forms of alternative energy should be given a high priority. I always hear that we are the most technologicaly advanced nation in the world and we can't even solve these energy issues. I think the problem lies with government entities...It gets my blood boiling when I think about all the money that is going to these third world countries that do not have our best interest in mind and even some that hate us....

We need to do something about this NOW. Pickens for President!!!!!! (Well, maybe not President, maybe Secretary of Energy)))
Old 09-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil your right, its just plain common sense. Which certain parts of Congress doesn't understand. Better than 70% of America knows what to do, its DRILL,DRILL and DRILL again. So if you like paying $3.00 to $5.00 a Gal for Diesel just do nothing. But if you want more Drilling let them know. Write, E-mail or Call congress. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a nephew and a couple of his friends that are running diesel engines in their PU and they have added an injection system to them that also uses propane. It only cost them about $150 to add this plus the cost of the tank in the box of the truck. Only uses a small 30-40lb tank and my nephew has his under the toolbox. He says it's great and adds power and mileage to his consumption without that much expense! I think T. Boone has got things started and if others jump on the bandwagon I think his ideas will come true! It's not just natural gas he's promoting but wind energy also and I frankly think that is the way to go for America and its energy crisis for electrical power anyway! We may not have TV's small or larger ones, or large trucks or trains that run on electric motors but smaller vehicles for the working man is a possibility and already here! The train idea is already here but the big freight trains run on electricity but the generators are powered by diesel fuel! If we can cut the consumption of oil, we can see lower prices around the corner-- I hope anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #14
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
In my opinion, National Security is the thing we should be first concerned with relative to the oil issue. And I hate the argument that it’ll be 20 to 30 years before oil from new wells will be available or beneficial. That’s just bunk! (In my opinion) If a new energy source were available today, how would it be dispensed to the consumer? Right now we have a gas station on every corner, it’s going to take years for any new source to be in the position to replace oil. I personally agree with T. Boone Pickens, Drill, Drill, Drill! But not at the expense of research for other energy sources.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote