Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Tire pressure guage

for those of you out there with dualies... what do you use to check the air pressure in your tires. It is flat impossible to get to mine with what I have. I am headed to CW tomorrow to have the Monty worked on for a refrigerator problem and would like to pick up something to take care of the problem. I have seen several types but would like experience to tell me what works well. Thanks.

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jerry,
I don't remember the exact name of it, but I use the LONG tire pressure gauge with the dual head. One side of the head lets you press against the tire valve stem, and the other side lets you pull against the tire valve stem. They are around $30 but worth the price. Sometimes the are refered to as Dual Head Trucker Tire Pressure Gauge.

Also, at auto parts store you can by valve extensions. Even my RV dealer has the Stainless Steel extensions for Duallys. I've not gone to that extreme yet, but and considering it seriously.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think if I had known how hard it is to deal with dually tires, I would have gone with SRW. First I have the Doran tire monitor system, so I stay monitored. If I have a tire needing air, I crank up the compressor and use a flexible fill tip with a dial gage on it. Getting the monitor off and then back on is a challenge as is attaching the fill tip. It puts me on the ground and regretting the purchase..
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ford Dually..First I had the dealer spin the outer wheel so that the air stems are not in the same rim hole. Then I use Helen and her tiny little flexable hand to get a flex hose on the stem.. I can measure the pressure then Helen can put eveything back together.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Dual foot long tire guage. What really helps IMHO is steel stems on the wheels.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Good old Wally World sells the dual head Campbell Hausfeld TP guage for about $10.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Like Waynem I use the long duel head air gauge. I think I got it at Napa. To air the inside dual tire I use a long air chuck with a home made extension on it made from a galvanized nipple attached to the air chuck. This saves using valve extenders which I have had problems with in the past. This is my fourth DRW pickups and it has always been sort of a hassle to check and air the inside tire. It would probably be easier to break down and have the metal valve stems installed on the inside tire by a tire dealer. But then again the long stem would not work for the front and outside tires.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
we have stainless steel covered extensions which are fastened to the hubcaps- they are easy to use- we would not be without them- they are available at cw and most rv dealers- good luck in your quest to solve your problem- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Properly aligned duals, the valve stems are ALWAYS 180 degrees from each other. Mainly a balance issue.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Properly aligned duals, the valve stems are ALWAYS 180 degrees from each other. Mainly a balance issue"

Check the position on your FORD dually stems.. The stems on both my 05 and 08 were in the same wheel hole.I was told that was a common, and stupid, practice , on a "Ford"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Same hole to get to both wheels on Dodge duallies as well. Regarding the earlier comment about the Campbell Hausfeld TP adapter - be sure to get one that goes to 125 psi or so -- the original one I got was much lower max pressure and it actually blew the part you push onto the tire completely off -- my tires are inflated to 65 on the truck and 110 on the 5er and I was using the same air chuck for both sets... Went to Tractor Supply and they had two different 'Max PSI' air chucks on the shelf - same packaging, same cost, just different UPC numbers.....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Thanks everyone. Rich, can I borrow Helen?
When I got back from having the Tanna serviced I looked down at front tire and noticed a chunk missing from the tire which really got me to looking at the tires and even though they still have realative decent tread they also have alot of cracks and the front have worn more on the outsides than in. Before I have major problems they are going to be replaced. At that time I will have metal stems and extensions put on. I do hate fighting with filling tires.

After all this getting ready to travel expense, I can't afford to go!
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote