Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Alert on batteries

Last evening we had a power outage here on the Island here at Lake Havasu, for one thing, I was so glad I had my surge protector, as after the 30-45 minute outage, the power came back on, and I imagine the voltages varied for a while.
The reason for this post is another matter.
I noticed my neighbor to the West had an extremely dim porch light, low battery power, my neighbor to the East, had no battery power at all.
Many of these people store the rigs here, the park sets them up, all plugged in and level, so they give little thought to batteries.
If you fall into this category, or, have been plugged in for a long time, unplug, and check the battery power.
Go to an automotive supply store, get a specific gravity checker, (Tube with floating balls) check the battery, also top off the battery with the correct water.
Off soap box.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

All of the major problems that we were having when we first bought our Monty was due to the lack of water in the battery. We can't rememeber if the dealership went over that with us or not. We got one battery with the Montana and had a second one from our old FW installed and vented by the dealership. We lost power to our AC on the first trip out. Took it back to the dealership and they couldn't get the breaker to trip. They replaced the convertor and the breaker because I was so upset that my cat was in the RV in 100F weather without AC and no water. I guess they didn't check the water level on the battery. Second time out our lights were dim and the Microwave wouldn't work. I got on the thread and someone mentioned the water level on the battery. Added water and magic no more problems. We keep our Monty plugged in here at the house, but now use the battery disconnect. Hubby checks the water level once a month now.

Is there a secret to checking the levels without having to take the tops off the batteries? He really hates having to tear everything apart.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good point Ozz! I wonder if it helps to cycle down the batteries a bit every once in a while and give em a fresh charge. Maybe not on a wet cell.

I wonder how many had low water levels in the cells.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:08 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I keep hammering the Ioata smart charger addition for the 3 stage charging, also the battery water is an obvious shortcoming for most of us.
(Like the clogged furnace filter in the stick house, we just don't think of it enough.)
Old 12-02-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Good point Ozz. Many people have never had a battery that needed maintenance and when they buy an rv don't realize that it's battery does. I'm sure it doesn't occur to most dealers to tell them either.

Collen,
You can fill the battery without removing the caps with this filler.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&cmCat=2222206
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Ozz I have two 12volt batteries and would like to give them a charge from my independent charger. Can we charge both at the same time or should we unhook them and charge them independent.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:21 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Individually, because one may be perfect, the other weak, so you will be getting a good charge to the better battery.
That will also be a good time to clean posts, clean off the batteries and spray some battery post protection on them when done.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Ozz Hey will the Ioata smart charger do the load of two 12 volt batteries, and I will still charge them individually to give them a HOT charge time-to-time?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Iota converter-charger will be the only thing you need, along with the smart charger plug in, add on.
probably a good time to post the info on the Iota web site, I'll see if I can find it.
Here 'Tiz:
Converter (Battery charger and 12 volt power supply)

Your converter is a 55 amp. (Medium size) 15 amps to 90 amps; with a rapid charge capability?
It comes with a male plastic phone type jack taped to the unit that, when inserted, will provide a temporary rapid charge for your 12 volt storage system. (single, or multiple 12 volt batteries, or an even number of Golf Cart batteries . Normal 13.6, to 14.2 fast charge.
This is a temporary mode of operation, as it would boil, or overcharge if left in. Useful for a quick charge need.
It’s maximum amp draw is 15 amps. (A/C)
If you blow fuses, look for reverse polarity, these fuses are designed for that.
Your converter has built in protection from:
Voltage spikes
Low line voltage (power from the main, coming in to the RV) Sometimes referred to as ‘Brown out’
Your converter can be used with, OR without a battery connected with no adverse effects.
All and all a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment.
Read up on the IQ Smart charger option;
http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm
Ozz

Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I keep a jug of distilled water in the front trunk as well as a filling device. I had a battery go dead on me for lack of maintenance when I was a newcomer to camping, never again!
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It was nice to have my generators available. Pulled one EU2000i out, hooked up and continued to watch "Las Vegas". Waited for the power to come back on, then waited another 15 minutes for just the reason Ozz stated: voltage fluctuation.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Michael,
I almost called you to see if Belinda was going to be rescued, as I figured you were on the generator.
I was riding around the park over here on my bike gabbing with the other peeps.
I hear parts of the mainland were out too.
Ozz
Old 12-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The bad guy, in the last scene, was put in the coffin and buried. Scary! And no one to get him out. One of the lines in the episode was great. The bad guy leader says that the police, etc, won't get him and Delinda says "You don't get it, do you? No police, no FBI, just some guys nobody knows will be after you. Sucks to be you!"

Yeah, the generator worked flawlessly. Our neighbors, who are elderly, didn't have any 12v power, so me thinks that they have no batteries. I told them that if it got too cold for them, they could hunker down with us.

Now, if we could just get rid of this wind!!!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, buddy.
This wind is a good conditioner for our upcoming stay at South Padre........