Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 05:17 AM   #21
Wayner197
Established Member

M.O.C. #21715
I use 50 ft of quality coax when direct connected to the Wally receiver. Great signal and works perfectly. In my convenience center I have (3) connections - Satellite/ satellite / cable-antenna, none of which provides a quality signal for satellite use. Cable connection works ok with campground cable.

2015 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke SRW
Wayner197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #22
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner197 View Post
I use 50 ft of quality coax when direct connected to the Wally receiver. Great signal and works perfectly. In my convenience center I have (3) connections - Satellite/ satellite / cable-antenna, none of which provides a quality signal for satellite use. Cable connection works ok with campground cable.
Keep in mind you have maybe 20' of cable inside your RV plus your 50' outside your RV. So 70' could be your problem.

I know I helped one person fix their Tailgater by creating shorter Coax cables using premium Quad shielded RG6 cable with compression connectors.

In my RV, I've replaced all coax F connectors with compression connectors as well.

My current TV solution in the RV is not Satellite, though. When they tried to extort $140 a month from me for crappy TV, I threw all their stuff away and went with streaming.

Unlimited internet on my phone was a $30 increase and Youtube.tv is $50 so I'm saving about 50%. Since you can only get good quality signal on you phone and not hot spotting, I use a USB-C to HDMI cable from my phone to TV and that works great. OTA antenna covers most of what I watch anyway.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
We could not get DirecTV satellite to work in our High Country. Most people think it is because of splitters in the system. We were not concerned about satellite in the bedroom, so I cut the coax under the living room slide and put a connector on it. It is easy to connect to the dish and I don't have to go thru the window. This coax is the line going to the connector behind the TV in the slide. Works well.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
huntjd

M.O.C. #8509
I had the same issue with my 2019 HC305.

The dish draws power from the Wally receiver and would not operate through the splitters that are factory installed. I was able to run a line directly from my bedroom unit to the dish and that solved the problem. However that means the bedroom unit must be on for the dish operate. I also had a badly crushed cable going to the splitters in the underbelly. I replaced the cable and it operates OK.
huntjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #25
kathdear
Established Member

M.O.C. #22747
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
The new Montana Legacy package includes a device named KEY TV. That solves the problem you are describing when you use the Tailgator. I called the TG manufacturer and was told that the TG signal was too weak to pass through an RV wiring system. I now have KEY TV and ... problem solved.
I have a 2019 Montana legacy but not sure what KEY TV is how do I know if I have that. What does it do?
kathdear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #26
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Montana's built after September 2018 (2019 models) have Key TV. Your Satellite is connected in the convenience center. Every TV outlet has Satellite and Cable/antenna. If a valid cable TV signal is detected it switches automatically to cable. If no cable is connected it switches to Antenna mode. Multiplexed Satellite dishes that use SWM or the Dish equivalent work automatically at all outlets. Tailgaters type dishes only work on one TV. There was a great class on it at the National MOC rally this year
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
Young gun

M.O.C. #25123
I have a 2018 3791rd , same issue , I took it in to be fixed , they said it was a bad coax end , i took it home and had the same issue , i removed all the goofy coax splitters behind each wall plate , as well as the main splitter behind the wall , directly screwed each coax into the main input , the dark brown coax is your antenna, I kept it out , so know I have 3 short coax whips connected to a 3 way , if I use the antenna I connect the brown wire , if I have cable I connect it to the 3 way , I also have a dish which my LR tv is the bottom coax , so I connect my dish directly to it and keep antenna or cable to the other 2 . It took about an hour to rework , but since then I have never had an issue
Young gun is offline   Reply With Quote