Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
Figit090
Established Member

M.O.C. #22423
Never bought a new one, just used, but:

Make sure all popouts slide smooth and don't hang, and fully extend 100% around the entire edge evenly. No uneven extension top to bottom or from side to side. Check the popot trim inside isn't rubbing a lot on carpet or scraping your floor.

Make sure there aren't any weird repair spots on the roof where there was a hole and it was patched. Probably unlikely but DO have someone show you the roof.

Find the condenser drain tube on the fridge, ours wasn't down where we could grab it, so it was dripping inside the popout...probably since new. It should be able to be threaded out the vent to drain when you camp. Ask about seals on the fridge vents if you'll be camping in rain much, some designs leak and not all include seals that I'd say are necessary. It's like any storage compartment and should have a seal.

Check for drips/leaks on the hydraulic pump if equipped.

Check ALL AC breakers and DC fuses are labeled appropriately and you understand what the labels mean. If you have a fancy charge system, have them show you how it works.

Get all the appliance manuals. Every major system with a brand name on it should have one, as they all have seraprate manufacturers and fine details.

Have them show you proper leveling technique.

Finally; turn everything on, every light, every heater gas and electric, everything. Make sure functions are proper. Good luck!

Figit090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #22
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There has been a recall on the 2019 Montana's for the axle hubs and brakes. Make sure your dealer has got it and has taken care of the recall before you take sign for it or take it off the lot. I can post the recall if it has not already been posted.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #23
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Bring a pressure gauge and check the tire pressure before you depart the dealership. That was one of the items on my punch list which the dealer said they completed only to find after driving 300 miles that they hadn't. The tires were 12-15 lbs. under-inflated! Also, if they're not providing you with 2 batteries, insist upon it. You have leverage before you sign, not so much after. Good luck!
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #24
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
check swithes/valves individually

When you check outside lights. turn them on individually to make sure you get what you turn on - ours were reversed such that DS got you ODS.

Same with valves on hydraulic slides - ours are still reversed!

rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #25
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
It was very cold when we picked ours up, so could not check water systems at. It was indoors, so started both air units, but did not run them. Verified all all gas appliances lit. Would like to have been more thourough, but considering the weather, did what we could. Hopefully we will have no (or few) surprises when we can go for that first shake down outing!

One of the earlier replies notes: "Get the dealer to show you the galley grey tank valve pull, otherwise you will NEVER find it." I find that interesting because I asked during the walk through (Which I also recorded) where the galley dump valve was. There are grey tank 1 and grey tank 2 usage monitors on my 3120RL, and the High Country 330 RL we looked at had a separate little keyed compartment for a second grey tank valve. I looked around the 3120 but could not find the second pull valve. I recall a video where one of the montana's had it under the ODS slide, very inconvenient when set up. I did not see a valve there. When I asked, I was told there is only one grey tank on my 3120, or they were tied together and there was only one dump.

So now I have two questions:
1. Does the 2019 3120RL Anniversary Edition have 1 or two grey tanks?
2. If 2 (which I suspect), where is the dump pull valve for the second one??

Regards,

Jim
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
gray water is listed as 88 gallons so you have 2 tanks. I would look up by the wheels DS
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
hfjra300

M.O.C. #22413
Check that all the molding and trim is secure. Half of ours fell off on the trip home.
hfjra300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #28
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
Regarding galley grey tank drain pull...
I have a 2018. The extra pull is on off door side, almost directly above the sewer outlet. It is near the top of the frame, and you really cannot see it you have to feel around. I didn't know there was a second pull, but after three weekend outings one grey tank just kept getting fuller. I am camped at Rio Bend Rv and Golf resort near Seeley California. There is a Twentieth Anniversary rig in the park here. I will ask him if he has a second tank and post the answer tomorrow
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #29
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
I chatted to the owner of the "Twentieth Anniversary " model this morning. His trailer works identical to mine. Second drain valve just above the sewer outlet. His dealer had no idea either. He had to contact the factory to find the location of the pull after his tank kept filling and never draining. Sorry I should have referenced, galley tank drain, to start this post.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #30
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
Hidden Valve

Our 2019 3120rl has two gray water tanks. There is a tank valve handle hidden between the hydraulic lines for one of the leveling jacks near the front of the kitchen slide.
Reset19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #31
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
...Have them cool down the unit on propane before you get there.
How would you know they didn't cool it on electric then switch on the propane before you arrived? I'm not saying they would do such a thing, just do your own testing... let it take all the time you need to ensure you are getting what you paid for.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #32
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reset19 View Post
Our 2019 3120rl has two gray water tanks. There is a tank valve handle hidden between the hydraulic lines for one of the leveling jacks near the front of the kitchen slide.
Thanks much. I went to the storage before I read this post. We are having a wonderful mixture of ice and rain here in Michigan, so I did not get low enough to feel around as suggested. Held the camera underneath and shot some photos to see if I could spot it, but again, probably did not shoot high enough (see attached).

When I go back, I will look up higher between the hydraulic jacks and feel around. When I find the crazy thing, I'll post a new photo.

Going back to the original post .. make sure your dealer understands how many grey tanks the rig has and can show you where they are and how to reach them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhereIsThatConfoundedValve.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	3079  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Found the galley grey tank dump valve.

I drove back up to the storage yard and found the well hidden galley grey tank dump valve on my new M 3120RL. Crazy, I don't think they could have done a better job hiding it if they tried. I hope I never have to replace that one.

It was right where Gary-Alberta and Reset19 described its location. Again, thanks! Attached photo's as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foundit.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	3080  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The second valve is placed for manufacturing convenience not the customer's.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #35
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
The second valve is placed for manufacturing convenience not the customer's.
If that's the case, why not leave it on. That way the customer doesn't have to to assemble their camper to get the water back on.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote