Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
For Thousand Islands, we stayed at Wellesley Island NY state park, on the US side of the Thousand Island bridge to Canada. Very nice place and a lot less than the commercial parks. When we stayed the third week of September it was almost empty. I think they closed the following week.
We have reservations there, but for mid August. All I could get was 3 nights, everything else was reserved. Any suggestions for things to see? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #22
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
For Thousand Islands, we stayed at Wellesley Island NY state park, on the US side of the Thousand Island bridge to Canada. Very nice place and a lot less than the commercial parks. When we stayed the third week of September it was almost empty. I think they closed the following week.
We used to camp at Wellesley Island State Park when the kids were young and loved it. We went there again 13 years ago and found the place covered with goose poop. You couldn’t walk anywhere because of it! Not going there again.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #23
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
We have reservations there, but for mid August. All I could get was 3 nights, everything else was reserved. Any suggestions for things to see? Thanks.
We were there for three days the last week before winter closing, so a lot of things were already closed.

*Must do the Thousand Island boat tour, including Singer Mansion, Bolt Mansion. We used US Sams (I think) tour.

*Small boat museum was interesting if you like boats.

*On Canadian side, went for a drive north and visited a couple locks.

Probably a lot of other stuff, but we only had three days. Want to go back.

I don't know when the geese come, but no problems during our visit.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:11 AM   #24
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
We were there for three days the last week before winter closing, so a lot of things were already closed.

*Must do the Thousand Island boat tour, including Singer Mansion, Bolt Mansion. We used US Sams (I think) tour.

*Small boat museum was interesting if you like boats.

*On Canadian side, went for a drive north and visited a couple locks.

Probably a lot of other stuff, but we only had three days. Want to go back.

I don't know when the geese come, but no problems during our visit.
It was in August 2006 when we were last at Wellesley Island.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 02-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #25
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Nice trip, we have been to NS and PEI a few times and totally enjoy it. Have a great time!
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #26
SaraLouwho
Established Member

M.O.C. #14458
All the Maine places are great, but remember most campgrounds are closed by 10/12. We get frost a lot of frost at night in late September and early October. Hoses have been know to freeze and ice pools on the toppers. Also there are not a lot of Campgrounds along the southern route from the Maine seacoast all the way down to Virginia.
SaraLouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLouwho View Post
All the Maine places are great, but remember most campgrounds are closed by 10/12. We get frost a lot of frost at night in late September and early October. Hoses have been know to freeze and ice pools on the toppers. Also there are not a lot of Campgrounds along the southern route from the Maine seacoast all the way down to Virginia.
We will be back home mid-October, so hopefully we will be ahead of any cold weather.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #28
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
Nice trip, we have been to NS and PEI a few times and totally enjoy it. Have a great time!
Thanks, we hope so too!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #29
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi
We left Vancouver Island in Oct 2017, travelled through the southern US, up the east coast, following the weather, & reentered Canada through New Brunswick in mid May 2018, travelled the Atlantic Provinces, including an amazing 2.5 weeks on Newfoundland, arriving back on Vancouver Island at the end of September 2018. These are a few of the campgrounds we stayed at.
50 Point Conservation Campground was our base camp for Toronto & Niagara. Camping Amerique Montreal was a short drive to the subway, which we took into the city. Camping Transit [campsite] in Levis Quebec was a short drive to where we parked our truck & walked onto the ferry across the St Lawrence River to the Old City. We then took the cable car/elevator into the city. We also drove our truck to just east of Quebec City to Montmorency Falls, besides the stunning views, you can Zipline over the falls… Awesome ! Please note when travelling the freeways in Quebec, use exit numbers as the exit names are in the French language & if you are not fluent, you will become very confused. The Quebec people were wonderful & kind to us, there are some very passionate Acadians whom will turn their back to you, do not take it personally. My wife & I hope to return one day & learn more about them. Campbellton RV Camping was a lovely spot on the St Lawrence River, but we just overnighted there, not sure what maybe in the area. Cymbria Campground was our base camp for touring PEI…absolutely beautiful there, red sandy beaches that stretch as far as the eye can see. Now for us, we crossed from Caribou in Nova Scotia to the south end of PEI, ferry was free in that direction [ you pay to leave], then we left the island on the Centennial Bridge, you pay a toll, but it is half the cost of the ferry. The direction worked out for us.
North Sydney KOA was just an overnight as the ferry from Newfoundland arrived at 6PM. It would probably be a good location to drive the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, if you aren’t towing then travel CCW, stunning views, but no shoulder in many locations, when travelling in this direction. Riverdale RV Park was a great location to see Fortress Louisbourg. Wayside Campground in Nova Scotia was our base camp to visit Halifax & surrounding area, including Oak Island [TV Show – Curse of Oak Island]where the brothers [Marty & Rick Lagina]from Michigan are trying to solve the mystery. Campers Haven was our base camp for exploring the south of Nova Scotia. The catamaran ferry leaves from there for Portland Maine. If not, you can take a passenger ferry from Digby across the Bay of Fundy to St John’s New Brunswick. We stayed at Hardings Point Campground, a free short, 24/7 ferry ride, this was our base camp to see the area. You can reenter the US through St Stephen’s New Brunswick. We were sorry that we didn’t take Moncton New Brunswick in. The other 6months we spent coming across the US & New England.
Please note, a power correction transformer would be a solid investment if you haven’t one, & plan on travelling throughout the US & Canada, voltage drops are common in areas where industrial machinery can start up at shift changes, where the RV park maybe on the same power grid, we haven’t lost an appliance or air conditioner yet in 10 years.

Hardings Point Campground
71 Harding Point Landing Rd
Hardings Point NB
1-506-763-2517

Campers Haven.
9700 Hwy 3.
Yarmouth NS
902-742-4848

Wayside Campground
10295 Hwy 333 Peggy's Cove Rd
Glen Margaret Nova Scotia
902-823-2547

Riverdale RV Park Visit Fort Louisbourg
9 Riverdale St
Louisbourg NS
902-733-2531

North Sydney KOA
3779 New Harris Rd
New Harris NS
1(800)562-7452

Cymbria Campground
0729 Grande Pere Point Rd
Cymbria PEI
902-963-2458

Campbellton RV Camping
1 Riverview Dr. **
Campbellton NB
1-(844)-787-3701

Camping Transit
600 Chenin St-Roch
Levis Quebec
418-838-0948

Camping Amerique Montreal **
40 Rang St-Andre'o
Sainte-Philippe Quebec
450-659-8282

Fifty Point Conservation area **
1479 Baseline Rd
Winona On
905-525-2187
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #30
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Were I going I would have to do an exhaustive search of my fifth wheel and pickup (and my pockets) for ammo, hulls and guns. I was told when I investigated going over into Canada for a lookysee to park in the states and rent a vehicle and just drive over for the day account the border guards would take one look at my TEXAS license and search everything expecting to find something that was firearm related and a spent .22 hull would be enough to satisfy their enforcement actions. It is my understanding that Canada does not allow law abiding citizens to posses firearms for self protection which may or may not be true but having been told that by a Canadian Tourist agency you might do well to look into that before venturing north of the border.

I didn't think I could qualify so I didn't go.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Hey guys and girls, am working on a trip this fall up through Canada and then back down through the New England states. Part 1 will include stops in Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. Any suggestions regarding campgrounds, things to see, places to eat, or anything else will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I did that a few years ago. I use https://www.campgroundreviews.com/ and google earth to determine where to stay. I have never gone wrong using them. As a benefit google earth show elevation and site length to determine if I can fit and which site are level. Good luck it is a beautiful trip and great places to see as well as partaking in local events and music. As a history nut I was able to learn much about the various areas as well---
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #32
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
Were I going I would have to do an exhaustive search of my fifth wheel and pickup (and my pockets) for ammo, hulls and guns. I was told when I investigated going over into Canada for a lookysee to park in the states and rent a vehicle and just drive over for the day account the border guards would take one look at my TEXAS license and search everything expecting to find something that was firearm related and a spent .22 hull would be enough to satisfy their enforcement actions. It is my understanding that Canada does not allow law abiding citizens to posses firearms for self protection which may or may not be true but having been told that by a Canadian Tourist agency you might do well to look into that before venturing north of the border.

As a Canadian, I can tell you that you are correct, we do not possess firearms for personal protection. Hunters have long guns for hunting, and people who partake in target shooting as a sport have guns. The average citizen does not.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 02-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #33
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt View Post
Hi
We left Vancouver Island in Oct 2017, travelled through the southern US, up the east coast, following the weather, & reentered Canada through New Brunswick in mid May 2018, travelled the Atlantic Provinces, including an amazing 2.5 weeks on Newfoundland, arriving back on Vancouver Island at the end of September 2018. These are a few of the campgrounds we stayed at.
50 Point Conservation Campground was our base camp for Toronto & Niagara. Camping Amerique Montreal was a short drive to the subway, which we took into the city. Camping Transit [campsite] in Levis Quebec was a short drive to where we parked our truck & walked onto the ferry across the St Lawrence River to the Old City. We then took the cable car/elevator into the city. We also drove our truck to just east of Quebec City to Montmorency Falls, besides the stunning views, you can Zipline over the falls… Awesome ! Please note when travelling the freeways in Quebec, use exit numbers as the exit names are in the French language & if you are not fluent, you will become very confused. The Quebec people were wonderful & kind to us, there are some very passionate Acadians whom will turn their back to you, do not take it personally. My wife & I hope to return one day & learn more about them. Campbellton RV Camping was a lovely spot on the St Lawrence River, but we just overnighted there, not sure what maybe in the area. Cymbria Campground was our base camp for touring PEI…absolutely beautiful there, red sandy beaches that stretch as far as the eye can see. Now for us, we crossed from Caribou in Nova Scotia to the south end of PEI, ferry was free in that direction [ you pay to leave], then we left the island on the Centennial Bridge, you pay a toll, but it is half the cost of the ferry. The direction worked out for us.
North Sydney KOA was just an overnight as the ferry from Newfoundland arrived at 6PM. It would probably be a good location to drive the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, if you aren’t towing then travel CCW, stunning views, but no shoulder in many locations, when travelling in this direction. Riverdale RV Park was a great location to see Fortress Louisbourg. Wayside Campground in Nova Scotia was our base camp to visit Halifax & surrounding area, including Oak Island [TV Show – Curse of Oak Island]where the brothers [Marty & Rick Lagina]from Michigan are trying to solve the mystery. Campers Haven was our base camp for exploring the south of Nova Scotia. The catamaran ferry leaves from there for Portland Maine. If not, you can take a passenger ferry from Digby across the Bay of Fundy to St John’s New Brunswick. We stayed at Hardings Point Campground, a free short, 24/7 ferry ride, this was our base camp to see the area. You can reenter the US through St Stephen’s New Brunswick. We were sorry that we didn’t take Moncton New Brunswick in. The other 6months we spent coming across the US & New England.
Please note, a power correction transformer would be a solid investment if you haven’t one, & plan on travelling throughout the US & Canada, voltage drops are common in areas where industrial machinery can start up at shift changes, where the RV park maybe on the same power grid, we haven’t lost an appliance or air conditioner yet in 10 years.

Hardings Point Campground
71 Harding Point Landing Rd
Hardings Point NB
1-506-763-2517

Campers Haven.
9700 Hwy 3.
Yarmouth NS
902-742-4848

Wayside Campground
10295 Hwy 333 Peggy's Cove Rd
Glen Margaret Nova Scotia
902-823-2547

Riverdale RV Park Visit Fort Louisbourg
9 Riverdale St
Louisbourg NS
902-733-2531

North Sydney KOA
3779 New Harris Rd
New Harris NS
1(800)562-7452

Cymbria Campground
0729 Grande Pere Point Rd
Cymbria PEI
902-963-2458

Campbellton RV Camping
1 Riverview Dr. **
Campbellton NB
1-(844)-787-3701

Camping Transit
600 Chenin St-Roch
Levis Quebec
418-838-0948

Camping Amerique Montreal **
40 Rang St-Andre'o
Sainte-Philippe Quebec
450-659-8282

Fifty Point Conservation area **
1479 Baseline Rd
Winona On
905-525-2187
WOW! Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed response! I'll look over it in detail to see where our paths may cross and look at your recommendations.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #34
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post

I will do a good search before we go. And yes, I will feel a little naked.